News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwalk

Quote from: Buck87 on January 21, 2016, 05:30:19 PM
Well, this is kinda odd. My submission to upgrade the northbound carriageway of 23 to expressway in Marion County went through almost immediately. But the submission for the southbound carriageway is still pending.

So right now if you zoom in close enough on the map, 23 north is orange while 23 south is still yellow.

That is pretty odd. Who knows what goes through their minds at Google. Also, what is the deal with US 20?  There are freeway/expressway portions in and around Norwalk and Fremont, but not according to Google.....

Buck87

Quote from: sandwalk on January 22, 2016, 11:41:15 AM
Also, what is the deal with US 20?  There are freeway/expressway portions in and around Norwalk and Fremont, but not according to Google.....

Yeah, I might try editting those as well sometime.

anyway, here's an update on the SPUI being built at I-457 and US 20 (Central Ave) in Sylvania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfhiWog6SE

tdindy88

I must have missed the I-57 extension from the south side of Chicago eastward across Indiana and over to Toledo. :)

The Ghostbuster

Buck87, of course, meant the construction of a SPUI Interchange on Interstate 475 in Sylvania.

mrsman

Quote from: cjw2001 on January 08, 2016, 09:59:10 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on January 06, 2016, 04:04:16 PM
On the topic of US 30, I see Google Maps now shows it as freeway orange from Upper all the way to Convoy, even though that section has at grade intersections. Kind of hard to figure out how they decide what gets the orange vs yellow, as there is a very similar section of US 23 around Marion with limited at grade intersections that is still yellow. And then on US 24 there there's a section west of Defiance to Indiana with at grade intersections that is orange and a section between Defiance and Napoleon with at grade intersections that is yellow.

Maybe the speed limit has something to do with it? I know 23 around Marion is 65. Not sure about 24 (other than I'm pretty sure it was 65 when I was on it last). 30 used to be 65, but I did post on another thread about seeing an article stating that it was going to 70 from Indiana all the way to Mansfield (except for the Upper Sandusky bypass)

There are two categories that display as Orange on Google Maps, Expressway and Freeway.

Freeways cannot have any at grade intersections, only interchanges.

Expressways can be a mix of at grade intersections and interchanges.

The full definition can be found here.

I wish that Google Maps used a different color to denote toll route (like green).  On the existing maps it looks too close to free routes.

Buck87

Noticed today that southbound lanes portion of my US 23 edit went through, so that awkward bicolor setup didn't last too long.

So now I've submitted several new edits to upgrade various Ohio roads to either expressways or freeways. They include the US 20 bypasses of Norwalk and Fremont, US 30 and OH 83 in Wooster, US 23 south of US 30 to just past OH 199, US 52 from Sciotoville to Hanging Rock, US 35 from OH 279 to Henderson, WV and US 23 from US 35 to just past OH 104. It'll be interesting to see how many of those go through, and whether or not any of them will have the same issue of the carriageways being different colors for a while.

noelbotevera

I just noticed that the Cedar Point Causeway seems so quaint and low traffic.

This video shows it during the summer season of 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooF0snELhbs

The strange thing is that there's only four lanes, and there's not enough room to widen the road. This would be a problem when everyone comes and goes, is there any plans in widening the causeway? Also, signing is totally desolate, all you get is a VMS near the park entrance.

thenetwork

At one time (I don't know if they still do) they would have a contraflow lane in which they would add a 3rd lane by sticking plastic cones/sticks in holes in the road to allow better flow in the morning and evening "rush hours".

And they also have the 2-lane Cedar Point Chaussee on the east side (aka the original entrance to CP), but that was always is maintained as a 2-way traffic road due to residential properties and houses along that road.

I have had issues getting out at the end of the night on occasion, but once you are out of the parking areas, the drive along the causeway or chaussee is usually a steady flow.

Buck87

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 30, 2016, 11:18:48 PM
Also, signing is totally desolate, all you get is a VMS near the park entrance.

Do you mean entrance signage? There are two big ones on the mainland side (that the people who took the video had already passed before filming)

This is what you see just before you start onto the causeway itself:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sandusky,+OH/@41.4510803,-82.6741655,3a,66.8y,36.31h,88.84t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9NYjWDMOi7vI7lDWv7pX9A!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x883a4160ab1e4547:0xff2a84906612320f

and there's also this one at the corner of US 6 and Cedar Point Dr a little bit before that:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sandusky,+OH/@41.4417574,-82.6809863,3a,18.7y,53.15h,88.46t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLo7vL3ZBu_E87uU1BAHOUg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x883a4160ab1e4547:0xff2a84906612320f

Also, I'm pretty sure the causeway itself is owned by the park. Not sure if they have any plans to expand it. Though traffic has been an issue at times on high volume nights, one time it was so bad that it became a news story because people had to wait for hours to get out:
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-erie/hundreds-of-people-were-stuck-in-the-cedar-point-parking-lot-saturday-night-after-halloweekends

noelbotevera

Rothman

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 30, 2016, 11:18:48 PM
I just noticed that the Cedar Point Causeway seems so quaint and low traffic.

I found it a pleasant drive when I was there in 2011.  Drove up to the entrance for early entry from one of their hotel properties.  Much better than the drive to Six Flags New England, for example. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Buck87

thenetwork

Quote from: Buck87 on February 11, 2016, 10:27:11 PM
According to this article from today, the causeway is owned and operated by the park:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Transportation/2016/02/11/Cedar-Point-s-bridge-foundation-falters.html?ci=breaking&lp=1

Also noted as a related article, the "new" Shoot The Rapids log flume ride is being torn down after only 6 years.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Business/2016/02/11/Shoot-The-Rapids-coming-down

Rothman

Quote from: thenetwork on February 12, 2016, 01:16:37 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 11, 2016, 10:27:11 PM
According to this article from today, the causeway is owned and operated by the park:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Transportation/2016/02/11/Cedar-Point-s-bridge-foundation-falters.html?ci=breaking&lp=1

Also noted as a related article, the "new" Shoot The Rapids log flume ride is being torn down after only 6 years.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Business/2016/02/11/Shoot-The-Rapids-coming-down

Makes me wonder about the boondoggle that is Mean Streak.  The ride was jolting people around too much (to the point of injury) when it first opened, so they rehabbed some of the track.  I rode it during the 2011 season after one of the rehabs and then they rehabbed it again after that.  All I know is that if I were managing the place, I'd be facedesking and considering the thing a money pit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

How is the conversion of the SR 2 section of the Cleveland Memorial Shoreway into a parkway going? Don't ask me why, but I seem very interested in that project.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on December 20, 2015, 01:33:48 PM
Another new traffic light coming to US 23 in Delaware

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/delaware/news/2015/12/18/intersections-upgrade-will-give-drivers-more-options.html

This is a downgrade of the northern Sandusky Street half-interchange.  Apparently the southbound exit ramp will be converted to a two-way extension of Sandusky Street, which will meet US 23 at a traffic light.  The northbound entrance ramp will remain.

This just adds to the case for a proper new-alignment freeway route through Delaware County that the powers that be aren't even considering.  See also fictional I-171.

Drove through there on Wednesday and noticed construction has started on this. Looked like the exit ramp from southbound 23 has already been removed.

6a

Out with the old, in with the new...

The Ghostbuster

Did the old sign not have an exit marker?

tdindy88

If my recollection is correct, that is at the southeastern interchange between US 33 and I-270 in Columbus. Are they adding exit numbers along that stretch of road now or is this just in one place?

6a

There is a large scale sign replacement going on in Franklin County, and they're adding exit numbers anywhere they aren't currently posted.

Buck87

^ so I wonder if some of the ancient ones at the southern I-270/US 23 interchange will be (or have been) repalced

GCrites

Nice catch 6a, I saw them doing something there and was wondering what was going on. Are they dumping control cities with all these sign replacements?

6a

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 26, 2016, 10:48:00 PM
Nice catch 6a, I saw them doing something there and was wondering what was going on. Are they dumping control cities with all these sign replacements?

I believe so, at least as it relates to I-270.

thenetwork

Quote from: 6a on April 26, 2016, 04:17:23 PM
Out with the old, in with the new...

This is a perfect example of how ODOT wastes money on signage &/or construction "upgrade" projects.  That Cincinnati Sign does not look to me more than 10 years old, and yet elsewhere on I-270, you have button-copy signs that are still standing at 30+ years old.

Bitmapped

Quote from: thenetwork on April 28, 2016, 12:18:22 PM
This is a perfect example of how ODOT wastes money on signage &/or construction "upgrade" projects.  That Cincinnati Sign does not look to me more than 10 years old, and yet elsewhere on I-270, you have button-copy signs that are still standing at 30+ years old.

Button copy signage could be cleaned and refurbished and basically last indefinitely. Newer signs lose retroreflectivity over time, so they have to be replaced periodically.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.