News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Widest Freeway

Started by Voyager, January 28, 2009, 07:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

My vote goes here:

This interchange widens out to 22 total lanes.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

rawr apples

But whats the widest in America?
Now shut up and drivee

Voyager

The 5-405 I'm pretty sure.

tankerdave

What about the Orange Crush interchange just up the road?  Isn't the 5/22/57 interchange just as wide?

John

I-80 just before the Bay Bridge toll plaza is at least 10 lanes westbound, and probably 3 or 4 eastbound. Could be the widest in America.
They came, they went, they took my image...

tankerdave

As good s 14 total lanes is, 22 lanes is still more.

Alex

Interstate 75/85 do swell to 16 lanes in downtown Atlanta.

deathtopumpkins

Biggest I've seen in person is the 16-17 lanes I-264 is here and some stretches of the NJTP. I'm still going with the 401 as the widest and the I-5/405 as widest in the US though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

akotchi

North of Interchange 14 (I-78), the New Jersey Turnpike is a total of 18 lanes wide (6 separate carriageways with three lanes each).
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Ian

Here is a wide portion of I-95 in Hampton, New Hampshire. 8 lanes!
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/Random#5296136410392754434

It was raining at the time of the photo, so sorry for the white orbs.

i.c.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

John

Don Valley Pkwy/401 is unquestionably the widest road in North America, but the US I'm not sure about. Probably is NJTP, I know it is wide in many places.
They came, they went, they took my image...

Voyager

Chris

This kicks ass
(I-75 just outside the Perimeter in Atlanta)

pic from gribblenation.

Voyager

Looks like the freeway might be a tad underused.

Scott5114

I'm sure it gets heavy use in peak periods. Imagine the influx of cars when work lets off at Dobbins AFB and Lockheed!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bryant5493

I-75 in Cobb County, GA gets really, really packed during morning and evening. The worst back-ups are on I-85, north of I-285, I-75, north of I-285, Georgia 400 and I-75/85.

Those are some of widest freeways that I've seen, as well.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Chris

7 lanes on I-95 near Palm Beach. Taken by forumer OKroads!

Frankly, such roads are unthinkable of in Europe. The more we resist the cars, the more congestion, the better (but we do want all their taxes) is kind of how they think in Europe.

Bryant5493

I love wide freeways. They make driving more fun, unexpected and interesting.

A friend of mine said she's more comfortable with four lane freeways (two lanes in either direction). I agree, they're easier to drive, because you don't have too many directions to look for traffic. But, once one gets used to the wide freeways, it's not that bad.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

DAL764

Quote from: Chris on January 29, 2009, 09:59:28 AMFrankly, such roads are unthinkable of in Europe. The more we resist the cars, the more congestion, the better (but we do want all their taxes) is kind of how they think in Europe.
Ain't that the truth. Germany is the home country of the Autobahn, and yet the most we can manage is 4 lanes per direction at most, and that is limited to very few locations. Granted there might be more with exit/entrance lanes included, but those don't count, IMHO.

Duke87

Well, the New Jersey Turnpike has the distinction of being the world's widest and most heavily used toll road, but it's certainly not the widest or most used outright.

Of course, the question is begged: how long does a number of lanes have to be sustained for it to count? Does a brief swelling before a major junction count or do we only count situations where the number of lanes continues through multiple interchanges/for several miles?

Personally, I'd go for the latter. In which case, the Jersey Turnpike just might be the widest in the US (sustains 14 lanes from exits 11-14, about 13 miles).

Although, due to its quad carriageway system, those 14 lanes are distributed 4-3-3-4, so you're never have more than 4 lanes without a barrier between them. Another question would be: what is the most number of lanes in a single carriageway?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Chris

^^ Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Duke87

Okay, but that looks like it lasts for about 500 feet. So it fails my criterion of it needing to be sustained for an extended length of roadway.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

akotchi

[A bit off-topic] Chris, this looks like the Autopista del Sol at the south end (General Paz highway?).  If so, up to the Avenida Marquez (the large circle that bridges the toll road), there are three carriageways in each direction.  The inside are the mainline lanes.  Next are limited access "colectora," and on the outside are "frentistas" that carry the local traffic and have signalized intersections and other streets/driveways.  Ramps interconnect the three sets of roadways.

Do all of these lanes count?

Not sure if this is still true, but all of the traffic uses the frentistas because they do not want to pay the tolls.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Voyager

Duke, 75 and 85 in GA is a single stretch of 16 total lanes and they aren't seperated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.