News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"I don't want to see updates for this topic again" Option

Started by US 41, April 11, 2017, 12:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

So there are several threads (topics) I have posted on. For example I post a comment on Page 3 of a thread and I'm still receiving updates for that topic whenever I click "Show new replies to your posts" and that thread is on page 35 and clearly no one is responding to what I said on Page 3 by that point. I wish there was a box of something I could click so I'm not receiving new replies to certain threads that I really have no interest in seeing anymore. I'd rather have stuff I have not commented on in several months show up under "Show unread posts since last visit".
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

TheHighwayMan3561

You can. Click the unnotify button at the top of those topics.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hotdogPi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 11, 2017, 04:34:20 PM
You can. Click the unnotify button at the top of those topics.

That doesn't work. Even if you aren't notified, the problem will still happen. You can easily check that, because if you have posted in this thread, it will say "Notify", not "Unnotify".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

Profile > Notifications (at left column) > Current Topic Notifications

Wade through the threads (I don't think all threads are there, mine cut-off at 2012...a limit, perhaps).

Select the check box on the far right of each topic.

Click the Unnotify button near the bottom right

Log out and log back in.

The Notify/Unnotify toggle doesn't seem to work for me, I think it just stops sending e-mails on new replies.

hotdogPi

"You are not currently receiving any notifications from topics."

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on April 11, 2017, 06:24:23 PM

That means...you're doing it wrong.

US 41

Like for example the Oil/Gas Prices thread. I probably commented on page 24 of that thread and it's on page 70 now and when I click on the "Show new replies to your posts" option that still pops up. There should be an option to where I can stop getting updates for that. I'd rather see that under the "Show unread posts since last visit" option at this point.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on April 11, 2017, 06:28:25 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 11, 2017, 06:24:23 PM

That means...you're doing it wrong.

I don't do notifications, so forgive me if this is an ignorant comment...

Doesn't notifications refer to being sent a message whenever someone replies to a post?  That's a different thing than the thread appearing in the "Show new replies to your posts" list.  Again, I might confused about the terminology, but that sounds right to me.  I've never clicked on "Notify," but I still see plenty of threads listed in "Show new replies to your posts."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2017, 01:14:43 PM
I've never clicked on "Notify," but I still see plenty of threads listed in "Show new replies to your posts."

Same here.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1 on April 12, 2017, 01:55:43 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2017, 01:14:43 PM
I've never clicked on "Notify," but I still see plenty of threads listed in "Show new replies to your posts."

Same here.

If you ever replied in a thread, it will continue to show up there regardless.  No way around it as that's how it's been coded in SMF and I can't change that.

inkyatari

That's why I don't post on some threads that I find interesting, but in the long run don't really affect me.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

US71

Unless my screen is different as a mod, at the upper right of the discussion is

REPLY  / ADD POLL / NOTIFY (or UNNOTIFY) (which sends an e-mail) / MARK UNREAD / SEND THIS TOPIC / PRINT

I still get notifications Show new replies to your posts on my page when I log in, but I scroll past the ones that no longer interest me.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on April 16, 2017, 09:33:45 PM
Unless my screen is different as a mod, at the upper right of the discussion is

REPLY  / ADD POLL / NOTIFY (or UNNOTIFY) (which sends an e-mail) / MARK UNREAD / SEND THIS TOPIC / PRINT

I still get notifications Show new replies to your posts on my page when I log in, but I scroll past the ones that no longer interest me.

Same, except ADD POLL only shows for threads I started.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.