News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

I was traveling down US 127 in Cincinnati over the weekend (coming back after dropping my fiancee off in Colerain Township) and at the corner of 127 and Ashtree Drive, I think I saw an incorrect OHIO 127 sign. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of it, as it was nighttime. If someone else does, feel free to post it. As of right now, Google Street View doesn't show this.

Reference location: http://goo.gl/maps/y3juh

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bassoon1986

sorry it's not a better picture but it was a short red light.

In Bossier City, LA - US 71 at LA 72. US 72 doesn't go that far west  :pan:

Takumi

Norfolk County (became Chesapeake in 1963) secondary route numbers on I-664 (completed 1991).

These banners are backwards. VA 165 should be South (I guess...it heads east here) and VA 337 should be West.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

I was unable to get a picture, traffic was moving too fast, but in DC today I saw a sign, likely posted by the National Park Service because it was near the Lincoln Memorial, that said "State Law Yield to Peds" (using symbols for "Yield" and "Peds"). It's erroneous because DC is not a state.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Reminds me of the 'City of Reedy Creek Improvement District' signs Disney has posted. It's either just plain RCID or City of Bay Lake/Lake Buena Vista.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2012, 05:49:17 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2012, 05:41:21 PM
It's erroneous because DC is not a state.

Not yet anyway.

Which means the sign is erroneous.

The signs posted by the District's government, BTW, say "DC LAW" instead of "STATE LAW," which is one of the main reasons I figure it's an NPS mistake.

agentsteel53

I was unable to get a picture, traffic was moving too fast, but in DC today I saw a sign, likely posted by the National Park Service because it was near the Lincoln Memorial, that said "State Law Yield to Peds" (using symbols for "Yield" and "Peds"). It's erroneous because DC is not a state.

the law is still present, though - I don't think it is made unenforceable due to a simple typo.  the sign is just a reminder of the law, as opposed to being the regulatory device itself. 

also: no symbol for "state law" exists in the MUTCD?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: Central Avenue on December 14, 2012, 04:59:05 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 13, 2012, 12:16:16 PM
nope, Mass has always been a square.
Well, you know what they say: It's hip to be square!

Also, yet again, I seem to be the only person in existence who likes Clearview.
Nope, I like Clearview myself. Not as much as I used to, but when Clearview is used properly, I really have no issues with it.

Eth

This is one that really bugs me:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=33.76635,-84.38693&spn=0.003113,0.009581&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=33.766304,-84.386834&panoid=RuFdp7m79j6MT3Wb000Igw&cbp=12,305.33,,0,13.3

These signs were just installed in the last couple years (as evidenced by the fact they're in Series E(M) and have "standard" exit tabs).  The problem?  US 19/29 was moved off this routing in the mid-1980s.

To be fair, this exit does spit you out just a couple blocks away from current US 29 (though in that case, it should also mention US 78 and US 278, with which it is concurrent).  US 19 should still be mentioned here - but on the sign for exit 250, not 249D (it now runs along 14th Street).

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2012, 12:12:40 PM

the law is still present, though - I don't think it is made unenforceable due to a simple typo.  the sign is just a reminder of the law, as opposed to being the regulatory device itself. 

also: no symbol for "state law" exists in the MUTCD?

Yeah, I don't disagree with you that the message is still enforceable. But it's erroneous because of the wording. Sort of like the sign on an off-ramp about 7 miles from my house that says "Queensberry Rd" when the name of the street is "Queensberry Avenue." The latter sign is erroneous because it has the wrong type of street listed.

In other words, I didn't think the thread was limited to signs that are rendered irrelevant or inapplicable simply because they're erroneous.

Edited to add: I recall when I was a kid there was a sign outside the school I attended from 4th to 6th grade that read "NO PARIKNG THIS SIDE OF STREET." It was located in the bus lane. I don't think "the sign said 'parikng' and there's no such word" would be a reasonable defense to a parking ticket issued there.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 20, 2012, 03:13:55 PM
Edited to add: I recall when I was a kid there was a sign outside the school I attended from 4th to 6th grade that read "NO PARIKNG THIS SIDE OF STREET." It was located in the bus lane. I don't think "the sign said 'parikng' and there's no such word" would be a reasonable defense to a parking ticket issued there.

in that case, though, it is the sign itself which is the regulatory device... so, given a good enough lawyer, maybe.  "reasonable" is not universally the standard to which court cases are held.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2012, 03:33:22 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 20, 2012, 03:13:55 PM

in that case, though, it is the sign itself which is the regulatory device... so, given a good enough lawyer, maybe.  "reasonable" is not universally the standard to which court cases are held.

In some places, that might well happen. No judge I've ever appeared before would ever allow someone to beat a ticket on that basis, though. BTW, I wasn't using "reasonableness" in this context to mean the standard of proof. I was using it simply to mean whether a defense is, well, a reasonable argument, one that would pass the "straight-face" test.

Big John

bassoon1986

Found a few around town today. Denton has the nice practice of posting numbers on street blades. A few of them aren't correct:

N. Locust St IS FM 2164 further north, but not in the downtown square. They probably just made one set of signs for Locust St. and put them all up

This is eastbound US 380 in Denton. This sign is correct for FM 428.

But this is once you turn north on US 77 and this one is not. It actually is FM 428.

formulanone

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

If it was on the "circle" around the Memorial, then that road is indeed maintained by  the  National Park Service.

There are signs that read "D.C. Law," though I don't recall the signs there in particular.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Central Avenue

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Brian556

QuoteN. Locust St is FM 2164 further north, but not in the downtown square. They probably just made one set of signs for Locust St. and put them all up

Yeah, this error is annoying. This error goes as far south as I-35E. The blade assembly at I-35E and Locust has this error. Ironically, Locust St south of Eagle Dr was US 377 until 1941, so the city is falsly claiming that is is once again a state highway under a different system. As for the origin of this error, I believe that it could have been from a city employee using a Mapsco. They had this error on their maps for years.

QuoteBut this is once you turn north on US 77 and this one is not. It actually is FM 428.

I noticed this one, too. When i was working for TxDOT, ths sign was in the other guy's maintenance area, so I didn't fix it.

This intersection also has two other issues that annoy me.

1. The signal is not split-phased, and due to the one-two way transition, it causes two directions to head towards each other on green. The left turn yield on green concept does not work well here because oncoming traffic is normally on your left, not your right, as it is for eastbound traffic at this intersection.
2. There is no two-way traffic sign for eastbound traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.