News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

I think the question refers to the fact that the signal shown in the sign has an "orange phase" instead of a yellow one.  I'd venture a guess that the manufacturer has a template for signs with a signal pictured that doesn't fill in the yellow circle since most signs start with a yellow background.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

thenetwork

I didn't even think to notice that the "middle lens" could be orange.  I still think it's a dull yellow lens, but compared to the hairpin sign and the orange background on the construction sign, it looks more orange than yellow.  I just took the error as an upside-down sign.

jakeroot

Quote from: thenetwork on August 23, 2014, 02:22:39 PM
I didn't even think to notice that the "middle lens" could be orange...I just took the error as an upside-down sign.

Don't worry, that's the both of us, and 99.99% of drivers.

Jim

Quote from: thenetwork on August 23, 2014, 02:22:39 PM
I didn't even think to notice that the "middle lens" could be orange.  I still think it's a dull yellow lens, but compared to the hairpin sign and the orange background on the construction sign, it looks more orange than yellow.  I just took the error as an upside-down sign.

And I didn't notice it was upside down until I was organizing my pictures, now 4 months later...  I was just going for the "Hair Pin Turn" sign that was new since my last ride through there.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

okroads

I spotted this sign goof yesterday while driving in SE Nebraska along U.S. 73:

DSC03008 by okroads, on Flickr

okroads

Here's another sign goof from my travels in Nebraska this past weekend, where NE 83 is signed instead of U.S. 83:

DSC02633 by okroads, on Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: okroads on August 27, 2014, 12:31:12 PM
One has to wonder whether those two signs you posted were from the same contractor/fabricator/designer?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

A few in Manteno, Illinois.

Wrong Illinois route shield, someone thought he was in Iowa:

Wrong color banners for interstate:

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Saw this today in Woodbridge, Virginia, at the Ospreys Golf Club. I'm sure someone will say it's not MUTCD-compliant. I don't care about that because it's on private property. What struck me is how it's in the wrong place. This sign is on the cart path next to the fifth green and there is no sign on the street warning of the crossing. It seems to me it'd be a lot more important to post these signs on the street to warn drivers of the crossing than it is to post them on the cart path.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Located just south of Thomasville, this should be US 43:

okroads

DSC06555 by okroads, on Flickr

RI 44 instead of U.S. 44. Photo taken by me in Providence, RI on 7-17-14

roadman65

Here is an assembly on NB US 27 Alternate in Chiefland, FL at the junction of US 19 & 98 where US 27 A joins NB US 19 & 98 for a 68 mile concurrency.  Yet this sign cluster manages to get in a US 27 NORTH shield in with the overlap despite US 27 being yet 68 miles away.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

freebrickproductions

Don't forget the "North US 98" on that set-up!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

J N Winkler

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 27, 2014, 01:14:24 PMOne has to wonder whether those two signs you posted were from the same contractor/fabricator/designer?

They are.  NDOR does nearly all of its small signs work in-house.  The traffic engineering unit keeps a book of junction layouts at the central office in Lincoln.  Every so often a junction layout is revised and updated, new signs are ordered if necessary, sign panel details are confected for them, and the signs themselves are fabricated by the NDOR sign shop and installed by NDOR maintenance forces.

The junction layout book was probably originally a looseleaf binder with actual paper diagrams, but I suspect "book" is now used entirely figuratively since the junction layouts now exist as PDFs, with one PDF file per layout.  Older layouts are scans of paper originals that either have the signs sketched in or drawn separately (frequently pattern-accurately), cut out, and affixed to the layout with rubber cement.  Over time these drawings have been remastered in CAD, with SignCAD used to produce the sign sketches.

Randy Hersh obtained a complete copy of the junction layout book from NDOR in 2007 through a request under the Nebraska open records statute, and passed on a copy to me.  What I have in my files now is therefore a snapshot of the book as it existed at the time of Randy's request.  It is hard to tell from OKRoads' photos whether the error signs have microprismatic sheeting and are therefore brand-new, but I suspect they result from recent re-drawings of the relevant junction layouts.  I also think the confusion between US and Nebraska shields occurred in the sign shop, not the design office, since whoever re-drew the junction layouts would have had the old ones in front of him or her, and the sign sketches would almost certainly have been copied and pasted to the sign orders.

As an aside, the fact that NDOR does nearly all of its small signs and a fair number of its large signs in-house helps explain both their statewide consistency and their oddness.  NDOR does not even publish a sign drawings book--the alleged Nebraska "Standard Highway Signs" (included with the Nebraska MUTCD supplement) is actually a sign catalogue.  The sign drawings themselves have to be obtained through an open records request, which I filed in 2003, receiving in response a thick sheaf of 11" x 14" drawings.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8712018142/in/set-72157639413090453/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>
Could be considered erroneous depending on who cares about the use of 3 digit numbers inside two digit shields unless you live in WI or LA where they are the norm. 

This here is New Jersey and they converted to three digit shields back in the early 80's, but this is a recent assembly (recent I mean within the past twenty years or so) long after NJ abandoned that practice.

Sheryl Crowe

Central Avenue

Quote from: vtk on August 11, 2014, 09:53:55 PM
Just spotted last night, I think: I-270 NB at exit 37 guide sign (OH 317 / Hamilton Rd / Gahanna) has a US 317 shield.  I did a double-take on such a delayed reaction I'm not completely sure that's what I saw.  But an M1-H4-3 doesn't belong in central Ohio...

It's since been fixed, but you indeed saw what you think you saw:

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

PurdueBill

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 06, 2014, 10:27:48 AM

Isn't US 98 north-south for much of its time in Florida? 

Zeffy

Quote from: PurdueBill on September 06, 2014, 11:09:35 PM

For the most part it is. It starts going more E/W south of Tallahassee or near Panama City.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

FLRoads

Quote from: Zeffy on September 06, 2014, 11:14:36 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on September 06, 2014, 11:09:35 PM

For the most part it is. It starts going more E/W south of Tallahassee or near Panama City.

U.S. 98 switches cardinal directions from "East-West" to "North-South" and vice-versa twice: once at the U.S. 19-27 & U.S. 27 Alternate intersection in Perry and again between Okeechobee and Florida 76 (Port Mayaca Locks). The 293-mile Perry to Alabama state line run is signed as East-West with nearly 300 miles signed as "North-South". It returns to being signed "East-West" south of Florida 76 through to Pahokee and east into the West Palm Beach/Palm Beach areas, nearly a 60-mile stretch. Some GSV images dated May 2014 still show U.S. 98 as East and West through West Palm Beach, including its first westbound shield near its terminus at Florida A1A.

It used to be that all of U.S. 98 in Florida was designated as East-West, but it was decided (and approved) to change the section that ran northwest to southeast as "North-South" so as to avoid any confusion for drivers about which direction they were traveling. I tried to look to see when this change took place but had no luck in my research.

Personally I saw no problem with the East-West designation, as I grew up with it signed as such. And it does run east-west in some spots down in south central Florida (between Fort Meade and Frostproof and between Pahokee and WPB/PB). Hell, it even has more of an east-west component between Sebring and Okeechobee, but its still bannered as "North-South", just for consistency purposes.

okroads

While going through more of my pictures from my summer trip, I discovered this sign goof in New Jersey along U.S. 46 East. The exit ahead is for CR 639, but CR 646 is signed instead. CR 646 actually crosses U.S. 46 on the overpass just behind these signs.

DSC07231 by okroads, on Flickr

roadman65

https://flic.kr/p/oJYC5U This one taken in Colorado of Green River, Utah being misspelled as one whole word.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on September 11, 2014, 10:37:23 AM
https://flic.kr/p/oJYC5U This one taken in Colorado of Green River, Utah being misspelled as one whole word.

Um...? This is what I get attempting to view that:

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Zeffy on September 11, 2014, 10:39:51 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 11, 2014, 10:37:23 AM
Um...? This is what I get attempting to view that:
Maybe it was misspelled as a four letter word.

roadman65

Interesting on that one!  It does not come up that way to me.  It is from one user on here's flickr page and perhaps he has a filter on it of some sort, but why does it say that?  Since when is a common road sign considered xxx and not suitable for minors?

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

I got the same result as Zeffy, and I have no username or password to use to sign into that site.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.