News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Greensboro Urban Loop

Started by Henry, February 07, 2011, 03:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Quote from: Strider on October 14, 2019, 02:51:18 PM
I will bet that as soon as the ENTIRE I-840 is finished, traffic will be reduced in certain areas around Greensboro. I don't know how many percentage of reduction it would be.

Well, I suppose that depends somewhat on how many people visit Emerald Pointe waterpark next summer.  :-D

Love2drive

There have been a few incidents in recent months were 29 South was shut down and they had to detour traffic onto city roads.   There was an incident in particular maybe last month where there was a incident south of Gate City .. and they had to detour traffic onto Gate City West to Benbow Road to get to MLK to get back onto 29.   I haven't been on 29 south north of the 785 interchange to see if they have put up any of those Variable Message Signs that could direct through traffic to use 785 to get to either 40 West or 85 South.  That would be useful

sprjus4

^

I don't know, but the control city for the I-785 segment of the loop is Charlotte, so NCDOT already intends through traffic to use I-785 South to I-85 South around the eastern and southern side of the city vs. US-29 to I-40 to I-85 Business to I-85 South. The former route is shorter, though the latter route is 65 - 70 mph interstate highway and avoids the city vs. 55 - 60 mph divided highway / urban interstate highway. The I-785 segment of the loop ought to be increased from 65 mph to 70 mph similar to how the I-85 leg was a few years back.

cowboy_wilhelm

Unless 29 is down-graded, Google and Waze will continue to direct traffic down 29. Most people aren't going to take a route that's 6 miles longer and 4-5 minutes slower, especially now that you have technology to get you where you're going instead of signs. NCDOT could maybe make 785/840 the truck route and place restrictions on 29 to help remove some through trucks from the weaves through Death Valley.

I wonder if that single lane ramp from 73/840 to 40 west will turn into a bottleneck one day like 485 to 85 south on the west side of Charlotte. DOT just doesn't seem to learn.

RoadPelican

I frequently commute on the west side of the loop from Bryan Blvd to Wendover Ave.  It's a pretty smooth ride, but I think the southbound section from Friendly Ave to Wendover Ave could have been built better.  Merging on to the loop (going south) from the Friendly Ave interchange can be tricky with a lot of traffic wanting to exit onto I-40 and the merge lane from F.A. ending prematurely and then 2 tenths of a mile later a lane opens up for I-40 exit traffic.

Why not extend the Friendly Ave merge lane and make it an auxiliary lane so Friendly Ave and I-40 traffic have more time and capacity to get on and off the loop?

Also having only one exit lane from I-840 south to I-40 is terrible and only going to get worse as traffic increases on the west/NW side of Greensboro, but silly NCDOT opens the ramp up to 3 lanes as soon as it gets off I-840.

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that thru traffic on the Loop goes from 3 lanes to 2 lanes and then has to merge onto the travel lanes that are coming in from I-40 eastbound.  This is a more minor issue than the 2 others I have mentioned, but still keeping a 3rd lane would be nice, sometimes I do encounter a left lane hog who wants to match speeds instead of passing a car in the right lane.

LM117

The next section of I-840 from Lawndale Drive to Elm Street is expected to open on December 23.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/new-section-of-greensboro-urban-loop-to-open-this-month/83-ee51b431-6be4-403f-9248-4c57b77ea73c
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Finrod

I find it interesting that at the interchange of I-840, I-785, and US 29, that 840 East to 785/29 North gets a flyover ramp, but I-785 South has to squeeze through a 270-degree ramp to get through that interchange.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

tjcreasy

Just a hunch, but my guess is there weren't enough projected trips to justify a fly over. Most southbound trips from Reidsville and Danville are Greensboro bound. NC 86 will likely remain the route of choice for Danville traffic headed towards Raleigh-Durham.

Roadsguy

That or I-785 was rerouted at the last minute and was originally intended to go through town, or end at I-85 in town if it hadn't been rerouted onto the southeast part of the loop. I-73 goes through a loop for a similar reason.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Strider

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 04, 2020, 11:41:00 PM
That or I-785 was rerouted at the last minute and was originally intended to go through town, or end at I-85 in town if it hadn't been rerouted onto the southeast part of the loop. I-73 goes through a loop for a similar reason.

The I-840/US 29 interchange has always been planned like this with the flyover going from I-840 East to US 29 North. As far as I know.... they didn't state a reason of why, but I could ask around.

As for I-73 going through a loop, I-73 was originally proposed to continue straight to I-40 instead of using the Loop and follow I-40 towards NC 68 before turning up north along NC 68, but plans changed after I-85 Bypass was built as they decided to put I-73 along the Loop (with former I-40 before it was returned to the original route).

bob7374

The new section from Lawndale Drive to North Elm Street opened this afternoon. They now expect the last segment to be completed in early 2023 (previous reports had it in the fall of 2022):
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-12-23-greensboro-urban-loop-section-opens.aspx

The Ghostbuster

Once the Greensboro Urban Loop is completed, they can tackle turning US 29 north of the GUL into Interstate 785, as has been planned since way back in 1997. Having the 785 designation disappear into thin air at Exit 14 will as awkward as letting Interstate 95 vanish on the north side of Trenton was from 1983 to 2018.

Evan_Th

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 23, 2020, 06:31:14 PMHaving the 785 designation disappear into thin air at Exit 14 will as awkward as letting Interstate 95 vanish on the north side of Trenton was from 1983 to 2018.
That's a huge exaggeration.  I-95 is a major mainline interstate, the backbone of the East Coast.  I-785 isn't anywhere near that.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on December 23, 2020, 05:06:54 PM
The new section from Lawndale Drive to North Elm Street opened this afternoon. They now expect the last segment to be completed in early 2023 (previous reports had it in the fall of 2022):
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-12-23-greensboro-urban-loop-section-opens.aspx
I've posted photos taken by Strider the day after the opening, here is one of the 2 new reassurance markers:

Most of the other signs, including exit signs, have not been put up yet. The rest of the photos are at:
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/futloop.html#i840photos

rickmastfan67

Fixed the img code for ya bob7374. ;)

tolbs17

Looks like imagery on google earth has been updated.

It has been updated to September 21, 2020.

ARMOURERERIC

The Winston Salem belt is updated as well

tolbs17

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 23, 2021, 06:25:55 PM
The Winston Salem belt is updated as well
That too yeah. It stretches to High Point as well

bob7374

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone still refer to the Greensboro Urban Loop as Painter Boulevard, which was the Loop's original name?

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2021, 09:05:55 PM
Does anyone still refer to the Greensboro Urban Loop as Painter Boulevard, which was the Loop's original name?

Not since 1995 (the day the ROD was approved for I-85 Bypass). Since then, it is called I-840/I-785, I-73 and I-85. Greensboro Urban Loop is the official name.

RoadPelican

The Speed Limit has been raised from 65 to 70 on the Loop from the split with I-85 (Grandover area) all the way around until Battleground Ave.  It is still 65 from Battleground to Elm Street.  Also, it's interesting that the rural section on the east side of Greensboro from I-40 to US 29 is still just 65!!!

It has always been 70 MPH on the southeast side of the loop (concurrency with I-85).

ahj2000

Quote from: RoadPelican on December 04, 2021, 08:55:25 AM
The Speed Limit has been raised from 65 to 70 on the Loop from the split with I-85 (Grandover area) all the way around until Battleground Ave.  It is still 65 from Battleground to Elm Street.  Also, it's interesting that the rural section on the east side of Greensboro from I-40 to US 29 is still just 65!!!

It has always been 70 MPH on the southeast side of the loop (concurrency with I-85).
That's super weird. The least traffic, we'll designed...why, ncdot?

sprjus4

To be honest, that section of the loop they just increased was the last section I expected them to (I-73 portion south of I-40). It's got more curvature and is more urban... I was expecting 65 mph to be permanent.

Especially when they still won't increase I-40/I-85 east of Greensboro to 70 mph, or I-73 south and north of Greensboro, I-74, US-421, etc. but can do this.

cowboy_wilhelm

I remember it changing from 65 to 70 a few years ago... unless it wasn't considered a loop then.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.