News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2017 Meets

Started by codyg1985, September 30, 2016, 08:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

I am just curious, does anyone have any meets planned for 2017? I forsee myself not being able to attend many of them (probably two at the most), so I want to see what people have in mind so I can pick wisely. ;)

I will update the top post periodically with meets and the link to the thread for them.

UPDATED LIST AS OF 2/25:

NYC Outer Borough Meet (David G)
Binghamton, NY (Josh)
Portsmouth, NH (Doug)
Milwaukee (David F)
Boston
I-69 upgrades in Southwest KY (H.B.)

Meets with dates attached to them, in order:
Toledo (Dan/Sean) - late Summer or early Fall
Ashtabula County, OH (Doug) - early 2017
Saratoga Springs, NY Dinner Gathering (Adam) - March 10th
Orlando or Jacksonville (Alex) - February, March, or April
New River Gorge Meet (H.B) - April 1st
Jefferson Highway Conference in Denison, TX - April 28th and 29th (David B)
Jackson/Vicksburg - May 13th (Cody)
Kankakee, IL - May 27th (Brandon)
South Adirondacks - July 8th (Josh)
Alaska Meet - Summer 2017 (Steve A)
Twin Cities - August 5th (Adam)
North Alabama Covered Bridges Meet — late October or early November (Cody)

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

dgolub

I'm figuring I'll probably host something.  The possibilities I'm considering are a Pocono/Lehigh Valley Road Meet in Pennsylvania or a New York City Outer Borough Road Meet that would focus on the various bridge reconstruction projects around the city (Goethals, Bayonne, Belt Parkway).

hbelkins

I keep saying I want to do a Lexington/Central Kentucky meet, but I'm not really sure what it would cover.

The new flyover ramp from US 60 east (Versailles Road) to KY 4 North will be done, the KY 922 Newtown Pike extension will be more or less done, and the new I-75 exit and connector road from KY 32 to US 62 in Scott County will be nearly done, so there's really not a lot to see. And again, it may be because I've been going to Lexington all my life (I was born in a hospital there) but I don't think there's very much existing highway infrastructure there that's of interest.

Elsewhere in my area, I can't really think of anything meetworthy. I'm not familiar enough with Cincinnati or Louisville to host a meet in those locations, and there's nothing going on in the Charleston or Huntington areas to warrant a return to those areas. I also don't think there's enough new to merit Pikeville III. And the Mountain Parkway work is just one long grade and drain project; certainly not anything on which to center a meet.

As for meets I'd like to attend, my personal situation has improved to the point where I should be able to attend a few meets, but nothing on the scale as I did a few years ago. Personally, I'd be interested in a potential Pittsburgh meet. Ideally, any meet I would attend would afford the chance to visit several new counties or clinch some roads. For instance, I'm using the Birmingham meet to fill in three Alabama holes and clinch all of US 411, both splits of US 45, and the entirety of US 45 in Tennessee, and if time permits, all of US 43 in Tennessee as well.

I've traveled exhaustively in the northeast, eastern seaboard, mid-Atlantic and Ohio Valley, so I'd love an opportunity to travel and attend meets in areas with which I'm more unfamiliar -- the southeast, deep south, midwest/upper midwest and near southwest. One can look at my mob-rule.com page and see where my missing areas are located.

So, much like Cody, I'd like to know what's in the pipeline so I can start looking ahead.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2016, 10:57:57 AM
I keep saying I want to do a Lexington/Central Kentucky meet, but I'm not really sure what it would cover.

The new flyover ramp from US 60 east (Versailles Road) to KY 4 North will be done, the KY 922 Newtown Pike extension will be more or less done, and the new I-75 exit and connector road from KY 32 to US 62 in Scott County will be nearly done, so there's really not a lot to see. And again, it may be because I've been going to Lexington all my life (I was born in a hospital there) but I don't think there's very much existing highway infrastructure there that's of interest.

Elsewhere in my area, I can't really think of anything meetworthy. I'm not familiar enough with Cincinnati or Louisville to host a meet in those locations, and there's nothing going on in the Charleston or Huntington areas to warrant a return to those areas. I also don't think there's enough new to merit Pikeville III. And the Mountain Parkway work is just one long grade and drain project; certainly not anything on which to center a meet.

I have some US route clinching to do in Lexington proper (US 27, at least). Plus, I need to somehow get the holes in Kentucky I need to fill up. so a Lexington meet would be nice!

New Circle Road would be interesting to explore for some people that haven't been to the area. I am not very familiar with Lexington, but there is also viewing the I-75 bridge over the Kentucky River from down below which would be interesting to a lot of people. There is also Paris Pike which is a neat road going out of Lexington. Not sure what sort of vantage points there could be for New Circle Road and Paris Pike, but those are some options, in addition to what you mentioned.

Louisville would really be a nice place for a meet since the downtown bridge project should be finished and the East End Bridge should be close to being done.

As for meets I'd like to attend, my personal situation has improved to the point where I should be able to attend a few meets, but nothing on the scale as I did a few years ago. Personally, I'd be interested in a potential Pittsburgh meet. Ideally, any meet I would attend would afford the chance to visit several new counties or clinch some roads. For instance, I'm using the Birmingham meet to fill in three Alabama holes and clinch all of US 411, both splits of US 45, and the entirety of US 45 in Tennessee, and if time permits, all of US 43 in Tennessee as well.

I've traveled exhaustively in the northeast, eastern seaboard, mid-Atlantic and Ohio Valley, so I'd love an opportunity to travel and attend meets in areas with which I'm more unfamiliar -- the southeast, deep south, midwest/upper midwest and near southwest. One can look at my mob-rule.com page and see where my missing areas are located.

So, much like Cody, I'd like to know what's in the pipeline so I can start looking ahead.

As for me, I have been to the northeast and the upper midwest quite a bit. I would like to attend meets west of the Mississippi River.

I should also mention that next year I am thinking of hosting a Covered Bridges meet in north Alabama. Most of the bridges are in Blount County, AL which is between Huntsville and Birmingham. I am eyeing that one for fall 2017.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cl94

I'm considering hosting my first meet in Binghamton. Focus would be the I-81/86/NY 17 interchange project. Also considering the SE Adirondacks as a possibility, with a focus on unique bridges (namely the Hadley Bow Bridge).

Quote from: dgolub on September 30, 2016, 08:45:25 AM
I'm figuring I'll probably host something.  The possibilities I'm considering are a Pocono/Lehigh Valley Road Meet in Pennsylvania or a New York City Outer Borough Road Meet that would focus on the various bridge reconstruction projects around the city (Goethals, Bayonne, Belt Parkway).

There's a good chance I'd be at either one of those if my schedule matches up. If it's outer boroughs, I could probably stay with someone if the carpool location is in the eastern part of the City.

I might be able to get to a Kentucky meet if it matches up with my schedule. Yeah, it's far, but I'm going to Alabama next weekend and that's further. :-D

I'd definitely be up for a Pittsburgh meet if someone closer than me is able to host. Have the lunch at Primanti Bros. and plan a snack/restroom stop at Sheetz.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

I'm giving strong thought to hosting a Kankakee, Illinois meet.  I have a few things to see and a place to meet for lunch.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on September 30, 2016, 11:59:21 AM
I'm considering hosting my first meet in Binghamton. Focus would be the I-81/86/NY 17 interchange project. Also considering the SE Adirondacks as a possibility, with a focus on unique bridges (namely the Hadley Bow Bridge).

Heh.  For a minute there, I thought you were planning on doing all of that in one meet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on September 30, 2016, 02:05:56 PM

Heh.  For a minute there, I thought you were planning on doing all of that in one meet.

Hell no. I might be crazy, but that would be a bit long.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Roadgeek Adam

I think the Southeast Adirondacks one would be a lot more interesting.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cl94

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 30, 2016, 02:48:18 PM

I thought so as well, but the problem is getting people there and making sure it doesn't conflict with festivals that will draw in a bunch of tourists and make the place impassable. My thought for that one would be to have it centered around Glens Falls/Lake George with stuff in Warren, Washington and Saratoga Counties. Plenty of stuff in that area to fill a few hours.

Alps

The Great Alaskan Adventure is next year. Fairbanks road meet and Dalton Highway trip. Some of us are coming partway or all the way cross-country (pick a country) for it.

dgolub

I'd definitely be interested in both of those.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on September 30, 2016, 03:32:37 PM

I thought so as well, but the problem is getting people there and making sure it doesn't conflict with festivals that will draw in a bunch of tourists and make the place impassable. My thought for that one would be to have it centered around Glens Falls/Lake George with stuff in Warren, Washington and Saratoga Counties. Plenty of stuff in that area to fill a few hours.
April/May would probably have the least amount of traffic while still having decent weather.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on October 01, 2016, 12:03:15 AM
Quote from: cl94 on September 30, 2016, 03:32:37 PM

April/May would probably have the least amount of traffic while still having decent weather.

I was thinking early to mid-June. Guarantees there won't be snow and those of us in college/grad school will be able to get there with little problem, but the tourist season isn't in full swing. April is too early if it's a bad winter (having grown up there, winters can be much worse than Albany) and May is busy on my end.

noelbotevera

I think I can hit the Pittsburgh meet on my way to Cedar Point. I'll have to see if it's in the summer so that I can work with it. I can also do the Poconos if I have any reason to go to Scranton, which hasn't happened yet.

SSOWorld

Great American Eclipse meet (Everywhere along the path)  :sombrero:
</sarcasm>

If I do something, perhaps something in La Crosse and possibly do a trip along the river in either direction.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

I don't plan on hosting any meets until 2018 when I am considering another Memphis meet since I-269 should be finished by then, also in 2019 is when I plan on doing possibly 2 central PA meets, one back in York County, the other may be around Seilinsgrove since the Central Susquehanna Valley Exp construction should be in full swing. As for meets next year, I would be up for anything in KY, otherwise not sure, especially since Steph and I may be going back out to the southwest in July. As for Alaska, not in the cards until at least the next decade for me.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm considering a SE Minnesota meet focusing on the new bridges being finished in Winona and La Crosse. That probably depends on if I can find enough other things to fill it out. Rochester, though tempting is probably too far away to include it in this meet.

I see Scott already thought of this before I did. I'm out.  :sombrero:

I do kind of have the itch to host something again though, so maybe I'll evaluate some Twin Cities options and go from there. Maybe a St. Paul meet, although I also wanted to let someone else host a MN meet if they wanted to.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

I'd consider a Twin Cities meet, but it would be dependent on when(if?) we make it out to Minnesota next summer.  Timing would without a question be sometime in July or early August.

Alps

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 01, 2016, 07:34:40 AM
</sarcasm>

You'd have to drive pretty fast...
Wonder where people will be watching it. It's a Monday so not everyone has the opportunity. I'm thinking Kentucky but probably still need Tuesday off.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on October 01, 2016, 11:52:32 AM
</sarcasm>

Wonder where people will be watching it. It's a Monday so not everyone has the opportunity. I'm thinking Kentucky but probably still need Tuesday off.
I've set myself up for Grand Island, NE.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

hbelkins

</sarcasm>

Ground Zero for best viewing anywhere is supposed to be around Hopkinsville. That's about five hours from me.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on October 01, 2016, 01:28:12 PM
</sarcasm>

Ground Zero for best viewing anywhere is supposed to be around Hopkinsville. That's about five hours from me.
Which will probably be chock full of people who booked plans well in advance.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 01, 2016, 01:55:58 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 01, 2016, 01:28:12 PM
Which will probably be chock full of people who booked plans well in advance.

Yep, but it's only about 90 minutes or so from both Paducah and Nashville, and less than two hours from Bowling Green. My guess is that there will be plenty of accommodations in those cities, and then it would be an easy drive to just park in a Walmart parking lot or someplace to watch it.

jpi

The viewing is supposed to be very good in my area of middle TN, I am a little over an hour from Hopkinsville, even my dad is considering coming down from PA to witness this.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.