News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your 2013 Travels

Started by The High Plains Traveler, November 27, 2013, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

My list of achievements for this year isn't too shabby.

January: didn't do too much, the furthest trip I made was to the Philly area. Other than that I stayed entirely local.

February: clinched all state highway mileage in Nassau and Suffolk Counties (NY)

March: clinched all state highway mileage in Sullivan County (NY), attended Monticello road meet

April: flew to Phoenix, clinched all counties in Arizona, four new counties in California, and one in New Mexico.

May: clinched all state highway mileage in Putnam and Dutchess Counties (NY), worked on Connecticut a bit, clinched all counties in Maryland

June: attended Portsmouth road meet, clinched all counties in New Hampshire and two new counties in Maine, clinched all interstates in New Hampshire, Vermont and Massachusetts. Drove out to Altoona, PA and back in one day. Attended Brick/Wall road meet.

July: attended Cleveland road meet, clinched all counties in Pennsylvania

August: attended Binghamton road meet, attended a wedding in Maryland

September: went to Montreal, attended the ultra-impromptu St. Lawrence Valley meet. Drove down to the Philly area again.

October: attended Pikevile road meet, drove to Florida and clinched a bunch of new southern counties in the process

November: attended Burlington road meet

December: probably not traveling much, busy with other stuff

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 27, 2013, 10:04:29 PM
I'm having my worst travel year since 1993. With all trips starting from New Britain, CT to:

2/1 - Springfield, MA [for an AHL hockey game]
2/6 - Manhattan [to get out of the house and beat the approaching blizzard of 2/8 and 2/9]
2/18 - Albany, NY [for a President's Day afternoon hockey game]
6/18 - Lakewood, NJ [South Atlantic League Baseball All-Star Game]
9/18 - Allentown, PA [Gildan Triple A Baseball Championship]
9/25 - Central Islip, NY [Atlantic League Baseball Championship playoff game]

Another AHL hockey game may be in the works in Albany, NY for this coming Saturday.

UPDATE: Said hockey trip to the Times-Union Center was made. Trip count is a whopping 7. About the only thing I added was Saratoga County and the town (village?) of Halfmoon.

oscar

My travels this year were pretty extensive.  This list covers just multi-day trips, leaving out some shorter road trips such as to the Brick/Wall meet in NJ.

January and late March:  separate trips to south Florida, including clinching of many state and US routes in Florida, and also some US routes in states to the north, like US 1 and US 17 in the Carolinas and Georgia

February and early March:  cross-country road trip to southern California, including some quick forays into Mexico (trip report on this forum), clinching all of US 95 except a leftover segment in northern Idaho, and all of US 60 west of I-49

June:  trip to the Portsmouth NH road meet, followed by a few weeks in the Canadian Maritimes (trip report on this forum)

July:  trip to the Chattanooga road meet, including clinching all of US 11 from Chattanooga north to the Canadian border

August:  trip to the Dakotas for a family reunion, followed by a week in Manitoba (trip report on this forum), which combined with the June trip to eastern Canada clinched more than a dozen Canadian county equivalents and also re-clinched (for now -- this is a moving target) the mainline of the Trans-Canada Highway from BC to NL

September:  trip to Lebanon NH road meet, including clinching US 4 and US 7, plus (combined with the Portsmouth meet trip and earlier trips) all of US 1 between Rye NY and the Canadian border

October:  flyout trip to Hawaii (Maui, Kauai, Big Island, and briefly Oahu), and on the way back a class reunion in northern California at (AFAIK) the only university whose campus is crossed by an Interstate; re-clinched the Hawaii state highway system (some new mileage added since I was last there), and US 101 (a short realignment a few years ago between Leggett and Piercy)

Maybe one more trip (TBD) before year's end, if the weather cooperates.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Thing 342

Lots of trips and county clinches, but not a lot of actual distance or clinches.

In late February, I went to Myrtle Beach, SC for a convention (I-95). Didn't really have time to do anything road-related.

Went to a similar convention in Richmond, VA (I-64) in mid-March. Despite not really having time to do anything, I was able to unintentionally clinch the last part of VA-6.

Flew out to Phoenix, AZ for a week to visit family in early April. In town, I clinched several freeways (I-17, AZ-51, US-60/Superstition, 101, 143), as well as a few other state routes. A side trip to the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and Sedona (I-17/I-40/AZ-64/AZ-89A/AZ-179) resulted in clinches of I-17, AZ 64, AZ-89A, and AZ-179.

In early June, I drove down to Columbia, SC (I-95/I-20) for a weekend to attend a relative's graduation. Other than a clinch of NC-4 on the way home to avoid traffic, not much road-related stuff.

In late June, I had a week-long family vacation in Corolla, NC. I was only able to clinch NC-12 and US-158 due to the Outer Banks' road issues.

I went to Philadelphia for the Fourth of July. On the way up, I took US-13, US-113 and DE-1 up the Eastern Shore, with detours to Chincoteauge, VA and Ocean City, MD. A side-trip to Princeton garnered clinches of the southern portion of I-95, US-206, and I-676. On the way home, I took I-95, but traffic delays led me to take MD-295 to I-495. I took MD-5 to US-301 south across the Nice Bridge (in order to clinch Charles county, with a side trip to clinch St. Mary's) to US-17, which I took south back to Hampton Roads.

In mid July, I drove down to Columbia again (via I-95 and I-20) and then drove up to Asheville (via I-26) for a weekend. This included a trip north to Kingsport, TN in order to clinch I-26. Came back to Columbia (also via I-26) and then drove down to Fripp Island, SC to stay there for 4 days. (via I-26, I-95, US-17, and US-21). Was able to re-clinch US-21 and the SC-802 there.
Drove back via I-95, but with a detour along US-64 and US-13.

A camping trip in early August in order to get 2 counties in NW Virginia that I had missed.

Flew out to Las Vegas in late August. Didn't get much clinching done save for a trip to the Hoover Dam to clinch I-515 and the new bypass.

Drove up to a friend's house in N. Va for Labor Day Concert. Was able to clinch both the Prince William and Fairfax County Parkways.

Drove up to Haymarket, VA for another convention in late October, clinching VA-234 along the way.

For Thanksgiving, I rented a cabin up in the eastern panhandle of W. Virginia. Drove up US-17 from Fredericksburg, VA to Winchester, VA in order to clinch all of US-17 north of Savannah, GA. I was able to clinch all of the counties in the panhandle, as well as US-522. Side trips to Gettysburg, PA and Cumberland, MD allowed me to clinch all of the counties in Maryland. On the way home, I passed through Harper's Ferry to clinch both WV-9 and US-340. From there, I took US-15 south to US-17 in order to avoid Washington traffic, as well as to get pictures of the new loop ramp in Opal, VA.

I am planning a trip in late December in order to clinch the rest of the counties in Virginia east of I-77, as well as another to get the rest of the counties in South Carolina. 

Counties Added: Mohave AZ, Coconino AZ, Yavapai AZ, Gila AZ, Maricopa AZ, Pinal AZ, Morgan WV, Berkeley WV, Jefferson WV, Hampshire WV, Garrett MD, Allegheny MD, Washington MD, Frederick MD, York PA, Adams PA, Franklin PA, Bucks PA, Montgomery PA, Polk NC, Henderson NC, Buncombe NC, Madison NC, Madison VA, Clarke VA, Sullivan TN, Washington TN, Unicoi TN, Somerset NJ

JMoses24

Didn't really do much traveling, save a stormchasing trip in April, which I can't believe I never wrote about in detail. (I'll do that in a separate thread, but suffice to say for now, it featured a couple near clinches of roads and a bunch of new counties clinched.)

Mapmikey

Some decent travelling this year...picked up 54 more counties.

Jan: DelMarVa trip, plenty of DE/MD routes clinched

Feb: drove to Scottsdale AZ via Austin Tx and 4-corners area
Clinched: I-27, I-17, I-20, US 290, US 163

Apr: 17 hr U-turn
lots of southern NJ US routes

May: 16 hr U-turn
Clinched: US 13, US 422e

July: 16-hr U-turn to NC
Clinched: US 311 (again)

Aug: Drove to Niagara Falls, ON then to Acadia NP ME then to Goose Creek SC
Clinched: US 48 (again), US 219, eI-88, would've had US 4 if not for 8-mile detour due to bridge work, eI-84

Sept: 17 hr U-turn
Clinched: US 209

Oct: 1050 mile, 19 hr U-turn
Clinched: US 206, eI-86, US 220, US 15 (again), completed all US route mileage in NJ

Nov: attempted to finish the Delaware primary system. Fell 60 miles short but clinched ~35 routes in MD and DE.  Will complete in Jan 2014.

Dec: trip scheduled to pick up more primary mileage in NC; 8-12 routes to be clinched

Goals for 2014:
Clinch DE primary system; reach 75% for MD; reach 90% for NC; reach 50% for WV
Clinch I-76e, I-77, I-79, I-82, I-86w, US 6N, US 9W, US 19n, US 19E, US 19W, US 48 again, US 91, US 221, US 250, US 322, US 422w

Mapmikey

deathtopumpkins

I spent from January to April living mostly carless, but since then I've managed to put 20,000 miles or so on my car. Drove to Quebec for the first time in June, reached about 2/3 clinch for the MA & NH highway systems,  plus about 1/3 of VT & ME, plus I've done a couple of day trips to upstate NY (and one to NYC - my first time on Long Island), from the Southern Tier to Orange County to the Adirondacks.

Also took Amtrak for the first time down to Philadelphia, if that counts!

Finally, attended my first two proper road meets - Lebanon and Burlington.

All-in-all a pretty decent year, and hopefully I can top it next year!
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Off the top of my head & in no particular order:

Attended 3 meets; Monticello, NY - Portsmouth, NH & Brick, NJ and got a chance to meet many on this forum in person.

Several back-and-forth holiday trips to either Marblehead, MA or Sturbridge, MA to visit family.  The return leg of my last trip involved driving out to West Springfield which gave me an opportunity to ride on a stretch of I-91 that I was never on (between I-291 & CT 20).  Fortunately, while heading from Marblehead to Strubridge last Sunday morning, I did not use I-290 nor encountered the related 65-vehicle, black-ice-induced pile-up in Worcester.

To add: due to my work schedule, I wasn't able to leave Tuesday night for MA as I normally do on Thanksgiving weekend so I left Wednesday morning.  To my surprise, that later departure turned out to be the better choice; I encountered no major traffic issues at all.  From door-to-door, it took me just over 7 hours to drive from Secane, PA to Marblehead, MA. (rest & gas stops included).  Maybe everyone else left the Tuesday night before.

Several trips to Carlisle, PA (mostly for car shows).  Due to the higher PA Turnpike tolls, I experimented w/some shunpiking routes.

Trip to Mt. Davis (highest elevation in PA).

Trip to Lititz, PA.

Trip to Ocean City, NJ.

Trip to Frenchtown, NJ (for a tubing along the Delaware River gathering)

Did a few back-and-forth rounds along PA 926 w/the top down.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Truvelo

I've been to several new places this year.

Europe - Italy and Spain

I clinched another five states, or should I say driven a mile into some of them just to say I've been there:
Alabama
Arkansas
Georgia
Louisiana
Mississippi

States remaining:
Alaska - probably never
Florida
Hawaii - probably never
Idaho
Montana
Nevada
South Carolina
The Dakotas
Speed limits limit life

formulanone

Added 171 counties in 16 states to my total (about 10-15 of those counties are ones I'd visited 30+ years before). 21 new airports, 84,000 actual air miles. Only a few trips; moving 800 miles away - once by car, the another by truck, but otherwise, mostly staying within my own state(s).

SSOWorld

Jan: Local road trips (in WI/IL)
Feb: Loop route to New Orleans - south along Mississippi River, North along other side of those states - broke personal record for counties clinched during trip. Clinched Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, I-12, both I-49s and only have only between Bloomington and Joliet left for I-55 (easy right?)
Mar: Flight to Portland for business *yawn*
Apr: Shortest trip to a road meet (Dubuque, 20 miles)
May: To California - but not back - I-70 in KS, CO, UT clinched, I-15 in NV clinched.
June: Around L.A. area and (back) up to Vegas - All Los Angeles Interstates clinched
July: Reached San Diego for first time
August: Entered Mexico for first time, All San Diego Interstates clinched
September: Zion NP, Monument Valley
October: Clinched last AZ county needed to complete the state, Up to San Francisco to check out new bridge
November: Back to WI - I-40 in CA, AZ (Interstates 100% clinched in AZ), NM, TX clinched, I-35 in KS clinched
December: Local WI trips - peeked into U.P.

Thus far: 302 counties (146 new), of which only 3 were visited by other means of transport than my personal car - 25 states (5 new) over 2 countries (23 in US, 2 in Mexico).  Been in KC (pass-thru) 3 times this year only.  Major cities: Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis, Des Moines, Omaha, Sioux Falls, Memphis, Portland (OR), New Orleans, Kansas City, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tijuana, San Francisco, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Wichita.  Least time spent in WI over a calendar year (5 months). Nearly 3000 miles of Interstates.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

Quote from: sammi on November 28, 2013, 11:51:53 AM
December: we'll be staying with my dad's cousin in Lockport, IL (850 km one way), and if all goes to plan, I'll be spending my entire winter break there, except for the last weekend (January 4-5). That should also count as my first roadtrip next year. :sombrero:

For next year...

Well, welcome to Will County then.  Lockport's practically in my backyard.  Well, on the other side of the river.  :biggrin:

For me, thus far (2013 isn't over yet):

1. Joliet to Sterling, Colorado and back - I-80 and I-76.

2. Joliet to Dubuque, Iowa for the Dubuque Road Meet - I-55, I-355, I-90, Wis-81, Wis-11, US-151.  Back - US-61, Bus-61, US-67, Government Bridge (last bridge I haven't crossed in the Quad Cities), IL-92, I-74, I-80.

3. Joliet to Cleveland, Ohio for the Cleveland Road Meet - I-80, I-480, US-422.  Back - US-422, I-271, I-71, US-30, I-65, I-80.

4. Joliet to Frankenmuth, Michigan for the Flint Road Meet - I-80, I-94, I-69, I-75, M-83.  Back - I-69, BL-69, Marsh Rd, M-43, M-143, US-127, I-496, I-96, I-196, I-94, I-80.

5. Joliet to just north of Evansville, Indiana - I-55, IL-47, I-74, I-57, IL-16, IL-130, IL-33, IL-1, US-50, US-41, I-64, I-57, IL-9, IL-115, S1800W Rd, IL-17, Essex Rd, IL-113, IL-129, I-55.

6. Joliet to Cincinnati for the Cincinnati Road Meet - I-80, I-65, I-865, I-465, I-74, I-75, I-71, US-50, I-471.  Back via the same route.

7. Joliet to Kansas City - I-55, I-270, MO-370, I-70, I-35.  Back - I-70, I-35, US-36, I-72, I-55.

And that's not counting the trips to Peoria, Pekin, and Rockford, Illinois, and St Louis, Missouri for work, or the annual trip to Gobles, Michigan for the Christmas tree.

So far, I've finished I-196, crossed the Government Bridge, picked up several counties in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin, finished I-70 in Missouri and US-30 in Indiana, got on more of I-96 (the only 2di in Michigan I've yet to complete), and finished the Illinois freeway system with US-50 and I-64.  It's been a good year so far, and I expect 2014 to be just as good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

on_wisconsin

Have not left the state at all this year, yet...
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Ned Weasel

2013 has been a pretty good road-tripping year for me, so I'll share mine.  I'm only including trips that took me a distance of greater than three driving hours from home.

January:  Two-day boredom-relief getaway to Tulsa, Oklahoma, via I-49 (from the northern terminus) and I-44.  Item of note: I-49 had only existed in Missouri for about a month.  Clinched: The Will Rogers Turnpike.

March:  First significant road trip of the year!  First took a less-direct route to Savannah, Georgia: I-70, I-64, I-270, I-55, I-240, US 78, (I-22), US 78, I-20, I-285, I-75, I-16, I-516.  Then to Atlanta: I-516, I-16, I-75 (obviously).  Then home: I-75, I-24, I-57, I-64, I-70, etc.  Items of note: my first visit to Mississippi and Alabama, and it was too early to see I-22 signs!  Clinched: I-24, useful portion of I-22.  Came short of clinching: Physically extant portion of I-22, I-16.

April:  Back down I-49 to Fayetteville, Arkansas.  Clinched: northern segment of I-49.

November:  Second significant road trip of the year!  First to southern Wisconsin: I-35, I-80, I-88, I-39, I-43, US 12, WI 50.  Then to northern Illinois: I-94, I-294/Tri-State Tollway.  Then to Detroit: I-294/Tri-State Tollway, I-94.  Then to Long Island: I-75, I-280, Ohio Turnpike (I-80, I-76), Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76, I-276, Future I-95), New Jersey Turnpike (Future I-95, Current I-95), I-278, Belt Parkway, Southern State Parkway, etc.  Then home: same way I came until PA Turnpike Exit 75, then I-70, Illinois/Missouri I-270, MO 370, I-70, etc.  Items of note: my first visit to Michigan, saw progress on the NJTP Exit 6 to Exit 9 widening, and got an E-ZPass for the first time (in Illinois--where it's called I-Pass, obviously).  Clinched: I-294, Tri-State Tollway, Ohio I-280, Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Clinched through combination with previous trip: Ohio Turnpike (drove from western terminus to the I-80 TOTSO in 2007).

By the way, has there ever been a thread for toll roads people have clinched?  I searched a few days ago and couldn't find one.  I'm particularly fond of toll roads (not necessarily from an ideological perspective); I found it neat to finally clinch the Tri-State Tollway, the Ohio Turnpike, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and I have more on my to-do list.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Two road trips on the same highway, one of which will happen the week after next.

Trip 1: Spring Break 2013
Historic US 99 from Seattle to Portland
Historic US 99W from Portland to Junction City
Historic US 99 from Junction City to Yreka
I-5 from Yreka to Eugene
OR 569 and OR 99 from Eugene to Junction City
Historic US 99E from Junction City to Portland
I-5 from Portland to Seattle

Trip 2: Dec. 26 to Dec. 31 or Dec. 30
I-17 from Anthem, AZ to Phoenix, AZ
I-10 from Phoenix, AZ to AZ 85
AZ 85 from I-10 to I-8 in Gila Bend
I-8 from Gila Bend to CA 111 near El Centro
CA 111 from I-8 to Calexico
Historic US 99 from Calexico to Madeira
Historic US 99W from Madeira to Galt (Very early split of US 99 which was discarded in the early 1930's.)
Historic US 99 from Galt to Sacramento
Possibly Historic US 99E from Sacramento to Red Bluffs and Historic US 99 from Red Bluffs to Yreka, but his leg will possibly be discarded due to time constraints.
I-5 from Yreka or Sacramento to I-10 in Los Angeles to I-17 in Phoenix back to Anthem

KEVIN_224

Update my massive list of travel to trip #8 and state #6. I went to Providence, RI on December 13th. We entered RI along US Route 6 East from Killingly, CT to Foster, RI. It was then onto I-295 South towards the Warwick Mall area and then north into Providence on I-95. The area around the I-195 interchange looks much better now than 5 years ago. The trip back was via I-95 south to Old Saybrook, CT and north on CT Route 9 to New Britain. Weird route, I know...but I added a ton of CT municipalities for the year.

US Route 6 East at the RI state line. The sign on the right reads "Cucumber Hill Rd".

Getting onto RI Route 2 from I-295 South in Warwick, RI.

froggie

About to have one more 2013 trip.  Likely familiar routes north, but I'm planning on taking the Cape May-Lewes Ferry on the way back south.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on December 20, 2013, 08:20:19 AM
About to have one more 2013 trip.  Likely familiar routes north, but I'm planning on taking the Cape May-Lewes Ferry on the way back south.

Stop by.

froggie

Only if you're around 12/28-29.

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on December 20, 2013, 10:30:13 PM
Only if you're around -200/7.

Simplified mathematical expression.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on December 20, 2013, 10:30:13 PM
Only if you're around 12/28-29.
Absolutely. I know many fine roads and restaurants.

D-Dey65

Wow! The road trips I've made are pure crap compared to the rest of you. And everyone else I know is always blown away by them.

Most of my drives have been around the Tampa Bay Metro Area, and a few towards Ocala and northern Polk County. But the other two have been;

June: Family drive from home to Long Island and back. The trip to Long Island was done from I-75, to I-85, to I-77, to I-81, to I-80, due to a tip my father got from a friend of his. There were some interesting sites, but it was a long, rotten drive. The way down was standard I-95. Both times we ended up staying in crappy motels, because we were too desperate to be choosey.

November: My own trip to Long Island and back. Mostly along I-95 with a couple of diversions onto I-295/Baltimore-Washington Parkway, and in Baltimore itself going up, Philadelphia and Delaware County, Pennsylvania going down, and Fayetteville, NC both times. Baltimore was a bitch to get through. Spent the nights in motels in Wilson, NC going up and Gold Rock, NC going down.

Oh, I also had to stop in Emporia, VA to pick something up I forgot to take with me, and Woodbridge, VA to grab some pics of a VRE station.

As far as clinching anything on this trip, the only thing that could possibly count is the IRT Dyre Avenue Line.

Laura

My 2013 travels:

January: Started off the new year with a bang in Gettysburg, PA. Later that month, I took Amtrak from Baltimore to Lynchburg, VA for the weekend. Stayed one night in Lynchburg and then two in Roanoke, VA.

February: While driving to NJ to celebrate Steve's birthday, one of Mike's tires blew on I-95 just outside of the Delaware rest area. We were about 4 hours late meeting with Steve...

April: Ashland, KY meet. Took I-70 -> I-68 -> I-79 -> I-64. We were unbelievably rushed because my landlord wanted to show my apartment to potential renters 2 weeks before he said he would...so we had to rush home and clean. So we didn't get to take home corridor H as planned. C'est la vie.

June: Road meet to Portsmouth, NH at the beginning of the month, then Road meet to Brick/Wall, NJ at the end of the month (birthday meet!)

July: Drove from Baltimore -> Lynchburg for a friend's wedding. Came home via US 340 and finally clinched the whole route.

August: Got married! Had a roadtrip themed wedding :) Honeymoon: Baltimore -> Niagara Falls -> Niagara-on-the-Lake -> Toronto -> Buffalo -> Baltimore

September: Road meet to Lebanon, NH

October: Pikeville, KY road meet combined with brief Lynchburg College homecoming visit! Baltimore -> Lynchburg, VA -> Christiansburg, VA -> Pikeville, KY road meet -> Bristol, TN -> Baltimore

pghgal_90

I only traveled for work - I volunteered to help with some marketing events in Seattle, and one in King of Prussia, PA. Big difference. Coworkers drove in both cases. I had never spent a long period time on the PA Turnpike before, surprisingly, so it was actually nice to just cruise down that from Pittsburgh out to King of Prussia.

Seattle was amazing, though. I-5 is absolutely beautiful, and being from the East Coast, I had never seen anything like having traffic lights at the end of ramps to control traffic (on Washington 518 I believe, heading eastbound to get to I-5), or the lanes on the interstate that change speed limits depending on what time of day. (Or the stunning view of Lake Union/the ocean, and the Seattle skyline.) It was so unlike things here in Pittsburgh. Not to mention Seattle is BEAUTIFUL and I want to go back when I'm not being chauffered around by a coworker who was twice my age with half my sense of direction.

Alps

Quote from: pghgal_90 on January 19, 2014, 12:23:59 AM
Seattle was amazing, though. I-5 is absolutely beautiful, and being from the East Coast, I had never seen anything like having traffic lights at the end of ramps to control traffic (on Washington 518 I believe, heading eastbound to get to I-5), or the lanes on the interstate that change speed limits depending on what time of day. (Or the stunning view of Lake Union/the ocean, and the Seattle skyline.) It was so unlike things here in Pittsburgh.
Closer than you'd think... http://wesa.fm/post/penndot-halts-plans-turn-ramp-metering-parkway-east-will-re-evaluate-plans-easing

(Have you read any roadgeek FAQs or old threads here to get a feel for terminology? Time consuming but potentially interesting! I'mma tout my own at www.alpsroads.net/roads/faq.html but there are several others out there. (I do not actually see an FAQ thread on the forum. Maybe there should be.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.