News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTGoose

Quote from: Jim on January 02, 2021, 05:19:59 PM
I've now done the Baldwin bypass both ways.  It's not on the level of the Starke bypass as far as being a time saver, but it's nice to have it.

I was amazed this afternoon by the cars with mid-Atlantic and northeastern plates who were stacked up to get onto I-10 EB from US 301 NB.  I've preferred US 301 between Baldwin and Yulee for years, even before the 4-laning of most of it.  It's at least as fast and only a fraction as stressful as I-10/I-295/I-95 around Jax.  Callahan's really the only remaining slowdown, and that's minimal.

Sorry I missed out on the Baldwin bypass (the kids moved to Baton Rouge in July so no more trips to Tampa). In all the travels through there we only hit it bad once with a 20-minute delay while CSX switched a long train and blocked the crossing. It took a couple of trips before I decided to try U.S. 301 north of I-10 and that was the end of touching the fringes of Jacksonville. For whatever reason, the Garmin nav in my Honda insists that the I-10/I-295/I-95 route was the way to go.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

I've now done the Baldwin bypass both ways.  It's not on the level of the Starke bypass as far as being a time saver, but it's nice to have it.
Perhaps if it were truly a limited-access road it might be as good as Starke. I haven't taken either one, but unlike what I've seen from the Starke Bypass, I see nothing to indicate that there are more bridges other than those over the railroad lines.

Quote from: roadman65 on January 05, 2021, 12:54:57 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1H_U3yt4JCmpgiCFs65aKYV8nND9LYMZOXI9_nPF2hQmTVYUoA98QqaLQ&v=muJO8SdnfQE&feature=youtu.be

The I-95 and SR 200 exchange is finally opened.
I noticed the number of people being interviewed don't understand the concept of DDI's, as I expected. But I'm not entirely sure it was truly necessary to build one there.

Alex

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 21, 2020, 05:08:33 PM
While I was scanning through US BUS 1 in St. Augustine, I saw this interesting sign arrangement at the north end of the overlap with FL A1A.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9095502,-81.3204352,3a,75y,257.22h,90.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPnX_KtvyTCceM0JWmxGGgA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I also saw an aerial shot of some construction there. Am I to believe this sign arrangement won't exist there anymore once the project is completed?

Edited for apostrophe.

U.S. 1 Business was truncated north of Cuna Street in St. Augustine, which is why that assembly only references it as going south. State maintenance along San Marcos Avenue ends to the north at SR 16 (Picolata Road). FDOT GIS data shows this as CR 5, and the remainder of San Marcos south to Cuna Street as SR 5A. Neither are marked however.

FDOT SLD: https://fdotewp1.dot.state.fl.us/slogis/blank.aspx?docId=32150

Alex

Quote from: VTGoose on January 05, 2021, 01:25:04 AM

I was amazed this afternoon by the cars with mid-Atlantic and northeastern plates who were stacked up to get onto I-10 EB from US 301 NB.  I've preferred US 301 between Baldwin and Yulee for years, even before the 4-laning of most of it.  It's at least as fast and only a fraction as stressful as I-10/I-295/I-95 around Jax.  Callahan's really the only remaining slowdown, and that's minimal.

Sorry I missed out on the Baldwin bypass (the kids moved to Baton Rouge in July so no more trips to Tampa). In all the travels through there we only hit it bad once with a 20-minute delay while CSX switched a long train and blocked the crossing. It took a couple of trips before I decided to try U.S. 301 north of I-10 and that was the end of touching the fringes of Jacksonville. For whatever reason, the Garmin nav in my Honda insists that the I-10/I-295/I-95 route was the way to go.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Checked out the Baldwin Bypass on December 4. Pictures posted at https://www.aaroads.com/guides/us-301-bypass-fl/
Construction at the exchange joining U.S. 301 with I-10 is still ongoing, and resurfacing of U.S. 301 north from the Clay County line to Baldwin is as well. All of I-10 east from U.S. 301 to SR 23 was closed for this work on the morning of December 17. Another closure was scheduled for this month (may have already taken place). We got on I-10 eastbound just after it opened (around 5 AM).

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on January 14, 2021, 09:46:57 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 21, 2020, 05:08:33 PM
While I was scanning through US BUS 1 in St. Augustine, I saw this interesting sign arrangement at the north end of the overlap with FL A1A.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9095502,-81.3204352,3a,75y,257.22h,90.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPnX_KtvyTCceM0JWmxGGgA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

I also saw an aerial shot of some construction there. Am I to believe this sign arrangement won't exist there anymore once the project is completed?

Edited for apostrophe.

U.S. 1 Business was truncated north of Cuna Street in St. Augustine, which is why that assembly only references it as going south. State maintenance along San Marcos Avenue ends to the north at SR 16 (Picolata Road). FDOT GIS data shows this as CR 5, and the remainder of San Marcos south to Cuna Street as SR 5A. Neither are marked however.

FDOT SLD: https://fdotewp1.dot.state.fl.us/slogis/blank.aspx?docId=32150

This signs begs to differ. https://goo.gl/maps/dMFuj6ryLt7dFCeP6 https://goo.gl/maps/YAHdJJmwzurfL6M66

Alex

Photos covering progress with the Gateway Expressway project in Pinellas from today.

CR 296 (118th Avenue N) at 40th Street N where SR 686A will branch northward to PIE Airport from SR 690.

Guide signs are already posted along the completed section of the Gateway Expressway north of 43rd Street N. "St Pete-Clwtr Intl" remains the standard way to reference PIE Airport.

Flyovers for SR 686A spanning 43rd Street N southeast. Still a lot of work to be done at the south end of these.

Had to turn into an adjacent industrial park to see what was displayed on the overhead along future SR 686A south. Even then needed to use my 200 mm lens to get a photo.

Overheads staged along the south side of CR 296 (Bryan Dairy Road) just west of U.S. 19. This is the first sign that I have seen displaying SR 690.

Alex

Photos showing progress along the elevated Selmon Extension project along U.S. 92 (Gandy Boulevard) in South Tampa from this afternoon.

Overheads for the beginning of the Selmon Extension in place along U.S. 92 east leaving the Gandy Bridge. Looks like it will display the same thing as other overheads for SR 618 with East To I-75 / Brandon / Downtown.

The west end of the viaduct is nearly complete, with the bridge supports fully painted.

The bridge deck is finally continuous all the way east to Gandy Boulevard at the original exchange with SR 618.

U.S. 92 (Gandy Boulevard) east where the flyovers from the Selmon Extension turn northeast onto the original Selmon Expressway. Toll gantries are now in place and one of the toll schedule signs was as well (no rate displayed).

Completed flyover spanning the loop ramp for SR 618 (Selmon Expressway) east and a new toll by plate sign. No signage is in place for SR 573 (Dale Mabry Highway) south right now. An overhead and shield assembly to the side was previously posted here.

clef

One of the three (?) remaining Cecil B. Sawgrass shields is gone  :-/  The other trailblazer signs are still attached to the pole. I only know of two more assemblies.

Alex

FDOT District 7 has their FY 2022-26 Work Program projects available for public review/comment online at https://www.d7wpph.com/work-program-interactive-project-map/

Some projects of interest that are getting funds:

• Westshore Interchange reconstruction at I-275 and SR 60 (Memorial Highway)
  • reconstructing U.S. 19 in northern Pinellas County with interchanges and frontage roads
  • adding express lanes to I-275 in Pinellas
  • adding a grade separated intersection at U.S. 41/SR 54 in Land O' Lakes
  • adding a grade separation at US 41/41 Business and SR 676 (Causeway Boulevard)
  • completing Overpass Road west from U.S. 301 to I-75 in Pasco.
  • four lane expansion along SR 50 east from U.S. 301 at Ridge Manor in Hernando.l/li]
Any forum members based in one of the FDOT D7 counties of Citrus, Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas and Hillsborough should feel free to comment. I commented on a few, hopefully offsetting one or two from NIMBY's.

SP Cook

So, just back from my first ever trip to Key West.  Something I always wanted to do, and the bridge work is amazing.  Other than that it reminded me a lot of the Outer Bank in NC.

Anyway, also spent a few days in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, all of the "scoreboard" type VMS signs, included "Off Road Vehicles Prohibited On Freeway".  That is a thing?  In Miami? 

roadman65

https://www.theledger.com/story/news/local/2020/12/31/4-project-yield-safer-ramps-cr-557-lake-alfred-exit/4058624001/

The Exit 48 interchange on I-4 is finally getting a much needed reconfiguration.  Work is already present there and will take a few years to complete.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alex on January 18, 2021, 02:32:16 PM
reconstructing U.S. 19 in northern Pinellas County with interchanges and frontage roads
Too bad it's not being expanded into Pasco and southern Hernando Counties.

adding a grade separated intersection at U.S. 41/SR 54 in Land O' Lakes.
Absolutely, but the plan they have will simply force those not on the overpass to suffer with the same problems that exist now.

four lane expansion along SR 50 east from U.S. 301 at Ridge Manor in Hernando.
Yes, although it could use a more park-like setting once it enters Withlacoochee State Forest.  Also, I see nothing about this on the Sumter County side.

Just out of curiosity, why haven't your comments shown up?

FLRoads

Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2021, 12:19:44 AM
https://www.theledger.com/story/news/local/2020/12/31/4-project-yield-safer-ramps-cr-557-lake-alfred-exit/4058624001/

The Exit 48 interchange on I-4 is finally getting a much needed reconfiguration.  Work is already present there and will take a few years to complete.
Personally I think the current configuration (parclo B2) is okay as is, other than the loop ramps could use longer deceleration lanes. If they wanted to improve the tightness of the loop ramps, just widen the footprint. The new configuration will be a dog-bone interchange, or as FDOT is calling it on the official project page, a diamond design with "dual teardrop shaped roundabouts" at either end.

Mr. Matté

roadman65

Quote from: Mr. Matté on January 23, 2021, 10:18:06 AM
Florida Man proposes legislation renaming US 27

I think this may stir up troouble by bringing this here.  This is going into politics which is not allowed.  I am not a mod but be prepared.  Right now we have just got out of the biggest political slugfest ever in history so one may consider it not deem able.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

We haven't stopped anybody talking about road renames for Obama, Bush, Clinton, ect.  So, why prohibit Trump road renames?  This is a legit article, not a fictional one.  As long as people don't get into a slug fest about who voted for who, it's alright to talk about as it has to do with highways.  However, we will be keeping an eye on it for sure.

pianocello

Ok, I'll bite. All opinions on the decision to name a roadway after the former president aside, this legislator made a lazy choice in US 27.

If anything, US 98 should be the obvious choice for him. Using some of the arguments presented in the article, US 98 is the longest highway in the state, goes through many districts that voted overwhelmingly for Mr. Trump in both elections, and goes right up to his front door.

Also, it threw me off a bit to see Trump mentioned as the first Floridian president. I guess it's not technically wrong, but it still doesn't sound right.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Rothman

Quote from: pianocello on January 24, 2021, 09:00:16 AM

Ok, I'll bite. All opinions on the decision to name a roadway after the former president aside, this legislator made a lazy choice in US 27.

If anything, US 98 should be the obvious choice for him. Using some of the arguments presented in the article, US 98 is the longest highway in the state, goes through many districts that voted overwhelmingly for Mr. Trump in both elections, and goes right up to his front door.

Also, it threw me off a bit to see Trump mentioned as the first Floridian president. I guess it's not technically wrong, but it still doesn't sound right.
Hm.  I still think of him as being from New York.  Then again, people think the Bushes are from Texas...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Nah, US 41 is more appropriate...its secret number is SR 45 from Naples to Tampa.

But US 98 literally ends at Mar-a-Lago.

I don't see this gaining a lot of serious traction right now; there will be a few sections of a route named after him, but I can't see him getting an entire route. Then again, they named the Turnpike after Ronald Reagan 10 years after he left office, and he never took up any sort of residence in the Sunshine State. A lot of these re-designated routes are rarely used by anyone but for dedication purposes and photo-ops, and then forgotten bigly.

D-Dey65

Quote from: flaroads on January 21, 2021, 08:49:05 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 21, 2021, 12:19:44 AM

Personally I think the current configuration (parclo B2) is okay as is, other than the loop ramps could use longer deceleration lanes. If they wanted to improve the tightness of the loop ramps, just widen the footprint. The new configuration will be a dog-bone interchange, or as FDOT is calling it on the official project page, a diamond design with "dual teardrop shaped roundabouts" at either end.
I agree, and my biggest gripe with the "dog-bone" interchange is all the swampland they're tearing up in order to build it. I'm already convinced we're going to see sinkholes where the new ramps are being built. A bigger version of the current configuration seems like it would require removing less wetlands. I also think a wider footprint should be used for the existing northbound I-75 ramps at Pasco CR 41 (Exit 293).

Speaking of sinkholes, recently I saw some traffic report on BayNews9 about a bridge that kept sinking on some moderate road, and it made me wonder if that might've been what was causing it.

Quote from: Rothman on January 24, 2021, 09:34:22 AM
Hm.  I still think of him as being from New York.  Then again, people think the Bushes are from Texas...
Jamaica Estates in Queens to be exact. As far as the Bushes go, if I'm not thinking of Texas, I'm thinking of Kennebunkport, Maine.

Another thought, Donald Trump always used to name things he builds and acquires after himself. He has never named a road after himself.

Quote from: formulanone on January 24, 2021, 09:38:53 AM
Nah, US 41 is more appropriate...its secret number is SR 45 from Naples to Tampa.
Actually, it SR 45 goes as far north as High Springs.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: formulanone on January 24, 2021, 09:38:53 AM

Plus its old shield was orange

(and it runs through lots of swampland)

roadman65

I-10 is named after Christopher Columbus.  Yet no signs in Florida mention that fact, so it could be named after him.  Just do not sign it unless a town along the way wants it on a street blade.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

They should be Biden their time on that. Just my two Pence.

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Well I am surprised that more of Dixie Highway ain't renamed something else like Riveria Beach did naming it for Obama, another president who was criticized during his Tenor.

Anyway Lee Highway And a Jeff Davis Highway in VA are both parts of four US routes that are not on all the signs. Jeff Davis Highway south of Petersburg is Boydon Plank Road and signed as such or some call it " Highway One"  on local street blades.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.