Alternate Interstate Highways?

Started by KeithE4Phx, October 06, 2021, 01:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Great Lakes Roads

bing101

Quote from: GaryA on October 07, 2021, 06:44:06 PM
Los Angeles has a short ALT I-5/I-10/CA 60:  https://goo.gl/maps/MbVe8Cp4WZpCePkR8

Mostly it's an alternate for drivers that don't have room to merge over for the left exit to I-10; it also tells drivers in the Mission Rd exit-only lane that they can re-enter either freeway (I-10 or US 101 to I-5/CA 60).  It's just taking the exit and continue straight across the intersection onto the on-ramp (which splits for the two freeways).

Also near downtown LA, I-710 North is marked as "ALT TRUCK ROUTE" since the ramp from I-710 to I-5 North is a left exit and entry (and that part of I-5 can get very congested approaching the East LA Interchange). A later sign clarifies that trucks headed for I-5 North should follow I-710 to I-10 West to I-5 North; trucks headed for US 101 North should take CA-60 West to US 101 North.
I seen Truck Route for I-5 in the Sylmar area at the Newhall interchange that gets used as an alternate route.
At the south end of the San Joaquin Valley there is also an alternate I-5 for Trucks specifically and that's at the south end of CA-99.

fillup420

Quote from: LM117 on October 07, 2021, 05:00:53 AM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 10:33:12 AM
There are Alternate I-40 banners along I-87, US-264 and I-95 to get around the long-term I-40 widened projects between the Raleigh Beltline and [now south of] McGees Crossroads.  When they were first installed, you could follow them all the way.  They've been up so long now that I doubt that you could find your way using signs alone.

Did I actually say I-87?   :pan:

You can also find an  "ALT ROUTE" I-40 sign at the end of the off-ramp from I-40 West to US-117 at the interchange between Warsaw and Magnolia (Exit 369). That one's been there long before the Raleigh projects started.

One can also find this head-scratcher on the US 70 Clayton bypass just east of the jct with I-40

oscar

Quote from: bing101 on October 18, 2021, 03:14:47 PM
I seen Truck Route for I-5 in the Sylmar area at the Newhall interchange that gets used as an alternate route.
At the south end of the San Joaquin Valley there is also an alternate I-5 for Trucks specifically and that's at the south end of CA-99.

The Newhall truck route is a separate freeway in both directions, with a different centerline from the I-5 mainline, and Caltrans treats it as a separate route (route 5S). It's an old routing that trucks are required to use, to bypass the I-5/I-210/CA 14 mess. Cars can use it too, and indeed use it to exit to the Sierra Highway (historic US 6), which has no exit from the mainline.

The truck lanes at the south end of CA 99 are southbound-only.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Evan_Th

Quote from: fillup420 on October 18, 2021, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 07, 2021, 05:00:53 AM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2021, 10:33:12 AM
There are Alternate I-40 banners along I-87, US-264 and I-95 to get around the long-term I-40 widened projects between the Raleigh Beltline and [now south of] McGees Crossroads.  When they were first installed, you could follow them all the way.  They've been up so long now that I doubt that you could find your way using signs alone.

Did I actually say I-87?   :pan:

You can also find an  "ALT ROUTE" I-40 sign at the end of the off-ramp from I-40 West to US-117 at the interchange between Warsaw and Magnolia (Exit 369). That one's been there long before the Raleigh projects started.

One can also find this head-scratcher on the US 70 Clayton bypass just east of the jct with I-40

I'm scratching my head trying to think how that could be ALT W 40.  Do they want you to go all the way east to 95 and then back west on 264?  Wouldn't it be faster to take 42 to 50 to west 70, or 42 to 55 to 540?

Revive 755

Illinois has a couple instances of Alt 39/90:
* Along Business 20 in the Belivdere area

* Along IL 76 towards Wisconsin

There also used to be Alt 39 signs along IL 251:  Former example near IL 64 (the banners orange but I seem to recall these staying up when there was no construction on I-39.

Iowa used to and probably still has some emergency detour signing for some of their interstates:  Former example for I-380, former example for I-80

hbelkins

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 18, 2021, 10:55:36 PM
Illinois has a couple instances of Alt 39/90:
* Along Business 20 in the Belivdere area

* Along IL 76 towards Wisconsin

There also used to be Alt 39 signs along IL 251:  Former example near IL 64 (the banners orange but I seem to recall these staying up when there was no construction on I-39.

But are they flat?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: fillup420 on October 18, 2021, 04:47:35 PMOne can also find this head-scratcher on the US 70 Clayton bypass just east of the jct with I-40

Quote from: Evan_Th on October 18, 2021, 09:07:24 PM
I'm scratching my head trying to think how that could be ALT W 40.  Do they want you to go all the way east to 95 and then back west on 264?  Wouldn't it be faster to take 42 to 50 to west 70, or 42 to 55 to 540?

I think that NC-42 -to- NC-50 to US-70 West through Garner is already being used by locals as a construction bypass for I-40 and generally worse off.  I've had to use NC-42 -to- NC-55 -to- NC-540 several times (I usually stay on NC-55 all the way to I-40 to avoid the tolls).  I suspect that the main issue is for those folks who are actually going to Raleigh instead of RTP.  They would need to backtrack into Raleigh on I-40 and/or the Beltline.

chrismarion100

I know there are a lot of ALT I-94s along whatever state route or us route happens to be paralleled to I-94 here in Wisconsin.

Takumi

There’s an ALT I-95 route posted from King’s Dominion along VA 30 and US 1 to VA 207.

Last couple times I went to North Carolina, there were still a couple I-85 detour shields scattered around. The route followed US 64 to Rocky Mount and I-95 from there to Petersburg. This was well after I-85’s reconstruction at the state line was finished, and I don’t think Virginia ever signed this detour.

GMSV still shows a Detour I-85 shield northbound at US 158 as recently as August 2022.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Two in Kentucky that I know of along with the others posted:

An ALT I-65 along Muldraugh Hill, using the Bluegrass Parkway, KY 52, and KY 61 between E-town and Lebanon Junction, and another ALT I-65 using I-165  (Natcher Parkway) and the WK Parkway between Bowling Green and E-town.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.