News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merrycilantro

Oh, okay. Makes sense to me. Thanks for clarifying :)

The Ghostbuster

I think reconstructing Interstate 94 through the cemetary at-grade could present problems in the future, as there would be narrow lanes and no shoulders. That's why I would have supported the double-deck option. But I can understand why WISDOT choose the at-grade alternative, since the locals would consider the double-deck noisy and an eyesore.

colinstu

I live around there and fully supported the double deck, but rather than nothing be done with the area at least they're going with this option...

The Ghostbuster

I was thinking about the residents of the Story Hill neighborhood in general. They have been the loudest opponents of freeway expansion in the Milwaukee area.

JMAN_WiS&S

I'd thought I would mention the 4 stack FYA on the left here, the flashing yellow section's LED has since failed already. Drove by it about a week or two ago, and the doghouse was flashing, but the 4 stack was dark. Anyone know what type of LED's these are?
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

The Ghostbuster

I've seen a number of flashing yellow arrow signals in the Madison area.

GeekJedi

I'd love to see more of them pop up, there are several intersections that have left turn signals that needlessly hold up left turns because of a red arrow and no oncoming traffic - mostly because of dual left lanes. This may be a good way to fix that.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

GeekJedi

Saw this the other day - it's about time. They've put in a 4-way stop at WI-33 and CTH-P. That intersection is nasty, and an excellent candidate for a roundabout like at WI-60 and CTH-P. Looks like they hope to put one there in the future.

http://www.wiscnews.com/news/local/article_43a6fd95-f55d-5547-93bf-1b94565d452c.html

GeekJedi

By the way, speaking of STH-33, here's a flashback for you. I took a shot of the WI-175 bridge over WI-33 in Addison a few months before it came down. What a classic!

SEWIGuy

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 21, 2015, 09:08:34 PM
By the way, speaking of STH-33, here's a flashback for you. I took a shot of the WI-175 bridge over WI-33 in Addison a few months before it came down. What a classic!

I still think what they did to "improve" that intersection was road overkill at its worst.  Completely cut the town in half. 

GeekJedi

I'm guessing they didn't want the cost of rebuilding the bridge, plus there was an issue with the limited sight line. You can see that where I'm standing, which would have been on the access road off of 175, north of 33. I'm looking west.

SEWIGuy

I don't mind the routing of WI-33 south of town.  I think what they did with WI-175 through town was a bit much.

GeekJedi

I do appreciate that they put up the Yellowstone Trail plaque up at the near the site of the old bridge though.

mgk920

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 21, 2015, 07:47:43 PM
I'd love to see more of them pop up, there are several intersections that have left turn signals that needlessly hold up left turns because of a red arrow and no oncoming traffic - mostly because of dual left lanes. This may be a good way to fix that.

Dual left-turn lanes are not allowed to use the flashing yellow arrow aspect, they are still only solid green, yellow or red arrows.

Mike

GeekJedi

Dang! I suppose that makes sense. I deal with one almost every day that is poorly set up. There ends up being a full queue waiting for a green left with not much in the way of oncoming traffic.

Roadguy

Quote from: mgk920 on November 22, 2015, 01:00:57 AM

Dual left-turn lanes are not allowed to use the flashing yellow arrow aspect, they are still only solid green, yellow or red arrows.

Mike

MnDOT has started to put in FYA at every installation (including dual and triple left turns).  Some higher speed installations the FYA is never activated and some are only activated in the late night hours.  The thought is in the future as people become more accustom to them and as traffic patterns change, even ones that are not activated today may be in the near future (pending safety wise it is acceptable to do so).

Here is one example in Woodbury: https://goo.gl/maps/tZEDxzUj5U82
Here is one example in Shorewood: https://goo.gl/maps/dZE3BuXHDro, this one also includes the new U-Turn signal indication with FYA: https://goo.gl/maps/cxB4MK845y12

This is another advantage of having the new monotube poles versus the old WI trombone style with horizontal mounting.  The new style the mast arms have the length and have the wind loading capabilities to allow for signs to be put up on the arm to better inform drivers about the FYA.

GeekJedi

I've never seen the "U-Turn" arrow. Interesting stuff!

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

GeekJedi

I'm going to have to check that out this week (before Black Friday) :-D

DaBigE

Mike
It hasn't been updated on GSV yet, but S Hastings Way @ Bracket Ave in Eau Clarie has a dual left turn with a FYA. I snapped a couple pics when I drove through, but unfortunately they're on my work computer. :banghead:

Otherwise, Mike is correct. WisDOT, along with many other agencies prohibit protected permissive left turn phasing for dual or triple left turn lanes, left turns on 45 mph+ facilities, in addition to turns that must cross more than 2 opposing thru lanes.

GeekJedi

The intersection that I was thinking of would certainly not qualify then. There are two opposing lanes in addition to a right turn lane. I can see where that might be an issue.

JREwing78

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 20, 2015, 05:00:54 PM
I've seen a number of flashing yellow arrow signals in the Madison area.

They added a bunch on US-14 and at County S/Hwy 11 in Janesville. They also realigned the left turn lanes so you can actually see oncoming traffic. Much easier and safer now!

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: DaBigE on November 22, 2015, 04:01:55 PM

Mike
It hasn't been updated on GSV yet, but S Hastings Way @ Bracket Ave in Eau Clarie has a dual left turn with a FYA. I snapped a couple pics when I drove through, but unfortunately they're on my work computer. :banghead:

Otherwise, Mike is correct. WisDOT, along with many other agencies prohibit protected permissive left turn phasing for dual or triple left turn lanes, left turns on 45 mph+ facilities, in addition to turns that must cross more than 2 opposing thru lanes.

Hmm. Hastings Way and Brackett Ave In Eau Claire have a dual left turn lane setup with Protected/permissive flashing yellow arrows, cross 2 lanes, granted the speed limit is 35 MPH. Google street view hasn't been updated, but sometimes the intersection can be seen on this live camera. It is the intersection in which you can see a CVS and Walgreens across from each other. Not the intersection with kfc and Starbucks.http://www.weau.com/weather/skycamnetwork/ipcams/283243781.html?device=tablet&c=y
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

DaBigE

Quote from: JMAN12343610 on November 22, 2015, 05:48:05 PM

Mike

Hmm. Hastings Way and Brackett Ave In Eau Claire have a dual left turn lane setup with Protected/permissive flashing yellow arrows, cross 2 lanes, granted the speed limit is 35 MPH. Google street view hasn't been updated, but sometimes the intersection can be seen on this live camera. It is the intersection in which you can see a CVS and Walgreens across from each other. Not the intersection with kfc and Starbucks.http://www.weau.com/weather/skycamnetwork/ipcams/283243781.html?device=tablet&c=y
It's also a local intersection, so DOT rules aren't always followed. As we've seen before, Eau Claire seems to like to experiment. Found the photos I was looking for:

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: DaBigE on November 22, 2015, 06:39:35 PM
Quote from: JMAN12343610 on November 22, 2015, 05:48:05 PM

Mike

It's also a local intersection, so DOT rules aren't always followed. As we've seen before, Eau Claire seems to like to experiment. Found the photos I was looking for:

I also noticed the lack of stop bar signals at this intersection. Has Eau Claire basically done away with them?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.