News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

No one likes taxes and no one wants to pay them. But I have NEVER, not once, ever seen a solution from anti-tax people regarding how they would replace the funding that would be eliminated. What would you do? In my opinion "it should be repealed solely because I don't like paying it" isn't a good enough reason.

If gas taxes piss you off that much, then don't drive. And when you object to that statement, don't give me shit then about how there is no other option available because it's people from your viewpoint that are also typically fighting against expanding other forms of transportation as having no use to you.

If you want things, you pay for them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on September 21, 2016, 11:07:36 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 19, 2016, 06:09:39 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on September 18, 2016, 11:04:58 AM
For 18 years we had an unconstitutional automatic increase in the gas tax. It would go up every year without any politician even voting on it.

Even if that were unconstitutional, it makes sense: as long as fuel taxes are a fixed amount, it has to go up each year to keep up with inflation.

Decades ago, governments around the world decided on fixed amounts for fuel taxes to compensate for varying fuel prices (thusly, varying income from fuel taxes). This allowed for gas prices to fluctuate without harming tax income (if it were a percentage, income each year could vary wildly). The problem is that 60 cents today may mean 30 cents 20 years from now. So to keep up with inflation, you have to steadily increase the fixed tax amount.
Whether it makes sense or not isn't the point if it it's unconstitutional it should be repealed and I am glad it was. Then your saying the constitution doesn't matter. It's unconstitutional because we have a tax increase every year without any politician voting on it. That's taxation without representation that's why we declared our independence from England. I just want to let you know back in 2003 when it was repealed it had overwhelming support from both parties. Not just tea party Republicans but even from several Democrats as well. It was the will of the people it was probably one of the few good things fmr Gov Doyle did.

???

The law that implemented an automatic inflation adjustment of the fuel tax was approved by the state legislature.  You know, the one that was elected by the people.

You are flat out wrong that it was unconstitutional.  You are flat out wrong that it was a case of "taxation without representation." 

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 21, 2016, 02:03:46 PM
For 18 years we had an unconstitutional automatic increase in the gas tax. It would go up every year without any politician even voting on it.

Even if that were unconstitutional, it makes sense: as long as fuel taxes are a fixed amount, it has to go up each year to keep up with inflation.

Decades ago, governments around the world decided on fixed amounts for fuel taxes to compensate for varying fuel prices (thusly, varying income from fuel taxes). This allowed for gas prices to fluctuate without harming tax income (if it were a percentage, income each year could vary wildly). The problem is that 60 cents today may mean 30 cents 20 years from now. So to keep up with inflation, you have to steadily increase the fixed tax amount.
Whether it makes sense or not isn't the point if it it's unconstitutional it should be repealed and I am glad it was. Then your saying the constitution doesn't matter. It's unconstitutional because we have a tax increase every year without any politician voting on it. That's taxation without representation that's why we declared our independence from England. I just want to let you know back in 2003 when it was repealed it had overwhelming support from both parties. Not just tea party Republicans but even from several Democrats as well. It was the will of the people it was probably one of the few good things fmr Gov Doyle did.

???

The law that implemented an automatic inflation adjustment of the fuel tax was approved by the state legislature.  You know, the one that was elected by the people.

You are flat out wrong that it was unconstitutional.  You are flat out wrong that it was a case of "taxation without representation."
But it went up every year after that without any politician voting on it. That very legislature from 1985 was not the same legislature in years to follow but yet the tax would go up anyways without a vote for the current legislature. So yes that is taxation without representation I was not represented by the same government who voted on the tax at the time it when up. If you want to raise the as tax every year simple have the current legislature from that year vote on it.

jakeroot

Quote from: dvferyance on September 21, 2016, 05:41:04 PM
But it went up every year after that without any politician voting on it. That very legislature from 1985 was not the same legislature in years to follow but yet the tax would go up anyways without a vote for the current legislature. So yes that is taxation without representation I was not represented by the same government who voted on the tax at the time it when up. If you want to raise the as tax every year simple have the current legislature from that year vote on it.

But the mandated increase became a law. You don't re-debate, and re-vote on laws every single year, simply because the legislature changes (which it doesn't always, but that's hardly the point here).

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on September 21, 2016, 05:41:04 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 21, 2016, 02:03:46 PM

???

Does the U.S. Congress vote on the entire IRS tax code every year? 

That is one of the stupidest ideas I have read and you clearly no nothing about how a representative democracy works.

Rothman

Federal Acts also provide funding for multiple years.

An amusing thought is to actually take dvferyance's suggestion that the automatic inflation adjustment was unconstitutional in the other direction:  Just how often does he think legislatures should vote on taxes?  Once a year?  Every month?  Every day?  If anything, those kinds of considerations show that his assertion is totally unfounded.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

quickshade

Our reps can barely pass a vote now, imagine if they had to vote on these things daily, weekly or monthly. Would be a disaster. Nothing would ever get done.

The Ghostbuster

It seems like nothing ever gets done now. Now that is true gridlock!

hobsini2

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 21, 2016, 11:29:29 AM
No one likes taxes and no one wants to pay them. But I have NEVER, not once, ever seen a solution from anti-tax people regarding how they would replace the funding that would be eliminated. What would you do? In my opinion "it should be repealed solely because I don't like paying it" isn't a good enough reason.

If gas taxes piss you off that much, then don't drive. And when you object to that statement, don't give me shit then about how there is no other option available because it's people from your viewpoint that are also typically fighting against expanding other forms of transportation as having no use to you.

If you want things, you pay for them.

:clap: :clap: :clap: AMEN!
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

GeekJedi

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

The Ghostbuster

I'm sorry if I offended you GeekJedi.

GeekJedi

It a movie quote not directed at anyone in particular. More at the general state of the state, and the current gridlock climate in these parts. It's just idiotic (as others have pointed out).

hobsini2

At least Ghostbuster knows how to apologize if he thought he offended someone unlike someone who shall remain nameless that needs to FIFY a lot. lol
+1 to Ghostbuster
-83 to DZ
Crap. Well so much for being nameless.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

GeekJedi

Absolutely! I feel bad that GB felt the need to apologize, but that was very nice. That post was sort of cryptic, I should have been clear that it was really more of a statement of Wisconsin's policies at the moment.

The Ghostbuster

That is what I meant when I made the comment. I don't think Gov. Walker's transportation plan is a good one. Delaying projects that need to be built, and will likely benefit drivers of those roads is a bad idea. There must be some way to increase funding to get the projects done on time.

County P in Menasha, Wisconsin, which had a part closed to convert the traffic light at the US 10/WI 441 interchange to a roundabout, re-opened yesterday.  Traffic is flowing pretty smoothly on it, but then again, the interchange itself is still closed.  Maybe there will be some backups on P after the interchange reopens, but for now, P provides an easier way for me to get to work each day than taking 47 and having to stop at a whole bunch of lights.

Personally I don't really see the advantages of roundabouts, though.  I think traffic lights were fine there.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

mahaasma

Earlier this week I drove on I-90/94 between Portage and Tomah and noticed some significant work being done alongside the interstate.  Looked like they were putting down  a bunch of railroad ties or something... I noticed a bunch of big pipes too.  Any idea what's going on here?  Trail?  Oil pipeline?

colinstu

Looks like transmission towers to me. Why they're all rusty though I have no idea. They've been sitting there for months not being moved. Looks like more action is happing now.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: colinstu on October 07, 2016, 12:19:08 PM
Looks like transmission towers to me. Why they're all rusty though I have no idea. They've been sitting there for months not being moved. Looks like more action is happing now.

Pretty sure this is what you are seeing.

http://www.atc-projects.com/projects/badger-coulee/

Map:

http://www.atc-projects.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/BCTLP-Construction-Segment-Map.pdf

mgk920

So then there's going to be a 345KvAC power transmission line built along I-94 from US 51 (Madison) all the way to Black River Falls.

Wow!

:wow:

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: 20160805 on October 06, 2016, 05:28:23 PM
County P in Menasha, Wisconsin, which had a part closed to convert the traffic light at the US 10/WI 441 interchange to a roundabout, re-opened yesterday.  Traffic is flowing pretty smoothly on it, but then again, the interchange itself is still closed.  Maybe there will be some backups on P after the interchange reopens, but for now, P provides an easier way for me to get to work each day than taking 47 and having to stop at a whole bunch of lights.

Personally I don't really see the advantages of roundabouts, though.  I think traffic lights were fine there.

There's going to be a 'semi roundabout' where the westbound ramps intersect that connector, too.

For an idea of how it will look, see the interchanges on the Kansas Turnpike (I-70) in the Lawrence, KS area.

Mike

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on October 07, 2016, 03:18:21 PM

There's going to be a 'semi roundabout' where the westbound ramps intersect that connector, too.

For an idea of how it will look, see the interchanges on the Kansas Turnpike (I-70) in the Lawrence, KS area.

Mike
Wasn't there a rail crossing there? Is that going away?

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on October 07, 2016, 06:02:19 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on October 07, 2016, 03:18:21 PM

Mike
Wasn't there a rail crossing there? Is that going away?

The railroad is still there.  The level crossing was not removed because a - rail traffic is extremely light (it is a branch that serves three customers) and b - the locals are used to it.

Mike

Yesterday on a drive to Wausau via US 10, I noticed a weird oddity.  Despite being a full freeway from Neenah to Fremont, the speed limit on US 10 was never increased from 65 to 70 mph, and to my knowledge almost every other freeway statewide, regardless of Interstate status, was upgraded.  So why is the freeway section of US 10 stuck with an expressway speed limit?
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

ET21

Liking the new bridges over I-39/90, hopefully they don't change the street names/numbers since it's etched into the bridge forever now  :)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.