News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 31, 2017, 07:15:37 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on March 31, 2017, 04:19:04 AM
http://wisconsinhighways.org/milwaukee/northsouth.html

The moratorium was repealed when the Silver Spring Dr Interchange was rebuilt.  Can see the article above on the moratorium being implemented by the now professor.  The email and phone were listed on the UWM website and is his business contact. 

What is the point of putting that contact information out there when he is no longer in the legislature and the moratorium is gone anyway?
Exactly and I highly doubt that one state senator can impose a moratorium all by himself. The legislature as a whole would have to vote on it. The Silver Spring interchange reconstruction was completed in the early 90's anyways so there is no excuse that WisDOt couldn't have done I-43 on the north shore in the mid to late 90's when even then it was long overdue.

triplemultiplex

In some respect, scaling back future expansions means Wisconsin has "caught up" with traffic needs in most places around the state.  In the late 80's WisDOT started building for the future.  Well now it's the future and we've got the core infrastructure in place.  As roadgeeks, we may cringe at the remaining choke points in the state's highway system, but I can see places where expansion has outstripped growth.  So it makes a little sense that the priority would shift from building new highways to maintaining existing ones.

I'm not thrilled about it, but I understand it.  The highways I saw being constructed as a kid are now reaching the two decade mark and I can see why the priority necessarily has to shift.  It's getting rough out there.  (Driving north of Madison has me dodging longitudinal spalling in the concrete.) It's easy to rant about how Wisconsin is being penny wise and pound foolish, but lets' face it; that pace of construction wasn't going to last no matter what was going on with budgets and taxes and all that shit.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

One project, whose study was completed, I hope will still be constructed in the near-future is the Interstate 94 project between 70th St. and 16th St. in Milwaukee. I don't think that stretch can wait 10-20 years to be reconstructed.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 31, 2017, 05:50:26 PM
One project, whose study was completed, I hope will still be constructed in the near-future is the Interstate 94 project between 70th St. and 16th St. in Milwaukee. I don't think that stretch can wait 10-20 years to be reconstructed.
I think I-43 on the north shore is more important. Go up there on I-43 NB near the merge from 3 to 2 lanes by Bayshore. Traffic is a nightmare I went that way one during peak times. It felt like I was sitting in LA traffic it was bad. The lanes are also narrow there have been a fair share of accidents it's dangerous. Should have been expanded back in the 90's it was overdue even then. It wasn't even expanded in the 00's and now here we are sitting well into the 2010's still nothing. This isn't something we should be talking about in 2017 should have been done long before.

SEWIGuy

I drive both I-94 and I-43 regularly in Milwaukee, and it is hard to say for me which is "worse."  They are both bad during rush hours but relatively easy to travel otherwise. 

I by and large agree that most of the major expansion projects have been completed and the shift toward maintenance is a good one.  I just hope that Wisconsin doesn't get caught flat footed and has to start playing catch up 20 years from now.

dzlsabe

Maybe use this more...https://www.ridemcts.com/ and make it better. Is there Uber or Lyft in MIWI yet?
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 02, 2017, 01:52:40 PMIs there Uber or Lyft in MIWI yet?

Why, yes. We even have electricity and running water now!

GeekJedi

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on April 04, 2017, 11:02:17 AM
Quote from: dzlsabe on April 02, 2017, 01:52:40 PMIs there Uber or Lyft in MIWI yet?

Whoa. Slow down there, Mr. Rockefeller. We haven't gotten indoor plumbing yet. We're not at the level of sophistication that the folks in the "big city" down south have. Thank goodness they grace our quaint little forum page here with their presence. Otherwise we'd be totally lost!
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dvferyance

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 02, 2017, 01:52:40 PM
Maybe use this more...https://www.ridemcts.com/ and make it better. Is there Uber or Lyft in MIWI yet?
The Milwaukee County buses do not go up to Grafton. That was my destination when I was stuck in traffic on I-43. Sorry but it's not a realistic option I-43 on the north shore needs expansion.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 29, 2017, 03:20:41 PM
A maintenance-only mentality is fine, but that doesn't mean expansion of certain roads should be out of the question. Projects where expansion may be warranted will likely face increased scrutiny under the new plan. I still think new forms of funding should be explored for financing road improvements.
Tolling?

http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/toll-road-idea-resurfaces-in-wisconsin/article_f86a13c1-58b9-5ed4-8a89-ede35ccacb27.html

The Ghostbuster

I'd support tolling, though I'd prefer it was a toll lane, rather than tolling all general purpose lanes.

SSOWorld

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2017, 05:27:48 PM
I'd support trolling, though I'd prefer it was a troll lane, rather than trolling all general purpose lanes.
FTFY  :sombrero:

all trolling aside, it would seem that the side roads will get busy as the anti-toll establishment shuns the Interstates.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

dzlsabe

Also this awesome bridge...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.8398535,-87.7891038//@43.0250068,-87.8985171,285m/data=!3m1!1e3

Sure love me some I-43 hypo speedway to Beloit.

Is that Milwaukee (Kenosha, Racine) "Gateway to WI" thing really workin out for anybody?

The west and central WI? Used to be on the map pre AMTRAK.

Has been suggested before and certainly cant happen now, but if Chicago was in WI (ie crazy political maps drawn 200 years ago), things would be hugely different
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

DaBigE

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 04, 2017, 11:14:05 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.8398535,-87.7891038//@43.0250068,-87.8985171,285m/data=!3m1!1e3

Has been suggested before and certainly cant happen now, but if Chicago was in WI (ie crazy political maps drawn 200 years ago), things would be hugely different

See what happens when you say troll [at least] three times?  :pan:

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 04, 2017, 09:20:29 PM
I'd support trolling, though I'd prefer it was a troll lane, rather than trolling all general purpose lanes.

all trolling aside, it would seem that the side roads will get busy as the anti-toll establishment shuns the Interstates.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: DaBigE on April 04, 2017, 11:56:56 PM

So it works like Beetlejuice?

iPhone

ET21

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on April 04, 2017, 11:57:40 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on April 04, 2017, 11:56:56 PM

So it works like Beetlejuice?

iPhone

Pretty much
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

GeekJedi

So then how do we get him to disappear? So far he's added absolutely zero to this and needs to go back on his meds.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

invincor

Indeed.  The state line is where it is because at the Illinois statehood convention, one of the delegates requested the line be moved north 50 miles from where the territorial line had been ostensibly so that Illinois would have some Lake Michigan shoreline.  Indiana had been granted a similar request earlier, but they'd only moved their line north 10 miles.  This delegate wanted 50 because he wanted Illinois to remain free, i.e. non-slaveholding, and he bet that the Wisconsin miners this new line would include would give his side the votes it needed for the state to remain free.  Sure enough, one of the first things to happen was a referendum on whether Illinois would have slavery or not, and slavery lost by about the margin that mining population provided. 

So yes, history would've been hugely different if that line had stayed further south. 

mgk920

Quote from: invincor on April 05, 2017, 09:26:36 AM

Indeed.  The state line is where it is because at the Illinois statehood convention, one of the delegates requested the line be moved north 50 miles from where the territorial line had been ostensibly so that Illinois would have some Lake Michigan shoreline.  Indiana had been granted a similar request earlier, but they'd only moved their line north 10 miles.  This delegate wanted 50 because he wanted Illinois to remain free, i.e. non-slaveholding, and he bet that the Wisconsin miners this new line would include would give his side the votes it needed for the state to remain free.  Sure enough, one of the first things to happen was a referendum on whether Illinois would have slavery or not, and slavery lost by about the margin that mining population provided. 

So yes, history would've been hugely different if that line had stayed further south.

Also, wasn't the City of Chicago incorporated about 20 years after Illinois' statehood?

Mike

Roadguy

Looks like the political backing may not there in the budget process to revive 94 east-west: http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/04/05/speakers-push-wisconsin-lawmakers-education-transportation-funding/100080694/

Was interesting watching the new DOT Secretary at the recent budget hearing for the joint budget committee meeting.  Clueless about roads and a political mouthpiece.  It really was an embarrassment to watch.  A true piece of work.

dvferyance

Quote from: Roadguy on April 06, 2017, 07:46:17 AM
Looks like the political backing may not there in the budget process to revive 94 east-west: http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/04/05/speakers-push-wisconsin-lawmakers-education-transportation-funding/100080694/

Was interesting watching the new DOT Secretary at the recent budget hearing for the joint budget committee meeting.  Clueless about roads and a political mouthpiece.  It really was an embarrassment to watch.  A true piece of work.
Like the old Secretary knew about roads?

dzlsabe

Quote from: GeekJedi on April 05, 2017, 07:40:25 AM
So then how do we get him to disappear? So far he's added absolutely zero to this and needs to go back on his meds.

WTF does that mean? You wanna replace the First Amendment with the Second? Its not illegal to be "crazy" (note to self WI notes now at 272750?), in most states. Yet. Maybe in Wherethefami?

Roadguy

Quote from: dvferyance on April 06, 2017, 09:39:52 PM

The best part is the new secretary still supports building roundabouts!  :D  :clap:

DaBigE

Quote from: dvferyance on April 06, 2017, 09:39:52 PM

You're off by a Secretary.

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 07, 2017, 12:25:33 AM
Quote from: GeekJedi on April 05, 2017, 07:40:25 AM

WTF does that mean? You wanna replace the First Amendment with the Second? Its not illegal to be "crazy" (note to self WI notes now at 272750?), in most states. Yet. Maybe in Wherethefami?

Your point is moot on a privately run internet forum. We're all at the whim of the owner(s).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

The Ghostbuster

The Interstate 94 project from Milwaukee south to Illinois should be completed. However, that does not mean the Interstate 94 70th St to 16th St project should be delayed indefinitely. I completely agree with David Haynes' article: http://www.jsonline.com/story/opinion/blogs/real-time/2017/04/05/-94-east-west-rebuild-should-states-top-priority/100085376/. Yes a billion dollars
is a lot of money, but southeast Wisconsin has about 270 miles of freeway, and all of it will need to be reconstructed in the decades to come, as this 2003 SEWRPC study listed: http://www.sewrpc.org/SEWRPCFiles/Publications/pr/pr-047_regional_freeway_system_reconstruction.pdf.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.