News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 13, 2018, 11:56:40 AM
While that's true, I'd rather see a change in the funding model than changing a well-established route number (and all the costs associated with a changeover) just because it nets a DOT more federal money.

Totally fair.  I just like the numbering system
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

SEWIGuy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 13, 2018, 11:56:40 AM
While that's true, I'd rather see a change in the funding model than changing a well-established route number (and all the costs associated with a changeover) just because it nets a DOT more federal money.

My experience is those route number changes really aren't that difficult.  US-51 to I-39 was very seemless.  After a couple years, everyone referred to it as "Interstate 39" with no issues.

In the end, I wouldn't care either way, but it isn't really that difficult to change numbers nor is it all that expensive.

Big John

I-39

I see it becoming a western I-96.

That said, it will be decades before WIS 29 is fully freeway between Green Bay and Elk Mound.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Big John on December 13, 2018, 12:51:25 PM
^^ It cost $5-$7 Million to convert to I-41.  https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/ne/us41interstate/faqs.aspx

Yep.  One tenth of one percent of WIDOT's total budget.  Not even worth worrying about.

JREwing78

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 08, 2018, 01:13:09 AM
With the majority of the construction work done for the season, WisDOT hinted on the project's Facebook page that speed limits may be reset back to 70 on much of the [I-39/90] route. Stay tuned.

It appears WisDOT put the 70 mph speed limits back overnight last night on I-39/90. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 70 mph posting on the way back from Beloit tonight. Last night coming from Madison it was still posted for 55.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: I-39 on December 13, 2018, 06:11:13 PM

That said, it will be decades before WIS 29 is fully freeway between Green Bay and Elk Mound.

and that being said they'll make it an extension of I-43 and have everyone go "What?!?!?"
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 14, 2018, 12:06:25 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on December 08, 2018, 01:13:09 AM
With the majority of the construction work done for the season, WisDOT hinted on the project's Facebook page that speed limits may be reset back to 70 on much of the [I-39/90] route. Stay tuned.

It appears WisDOT put the 70 mph speed limits back overnight last night on I-39/90. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 70 mph posting on the way back from Beloit tonight. Last night coming from Madison it was still posted for 55.

Confirmed.  Just rolled through the entire zone yesterday.
Such a tease to see the full section done between the Rock River and Stoughton (exit), but only striped for 2x2.  I suppose they don't want to give drivers a lane only to take it away again in a few miles. 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on December 12, 2018, 11:57:50 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on December 12, 2018, 03:53:59 PM
Wis 29 will soon be freeway between the Brown/Shawano County Line and I-41.  The County VV interchange juist received a grant to begin construction soon.  Will also have a County U and new Pine Tree Rd overpasses. 

https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Brown-County-receives-nearly-20-million-for-29-VV-Project-502448551.html

Just like how US 41 was progressively upgraded until it was fully interstate compatible.

:nod:

Also, I assume that the Outagamie County section of WI 29 will be a fully interstate compatible freeway when this upgrade is complete.

Mike

Yes the few hundred feet of Wis 29 will be freeway.  The Wis 156 shortcut will be gone with a CTH U overpass.  Most people are now using U/Old 29 to get to Wis 156 instead of using the Wis 32/Wis 156 interchange

The Ghostbuster

Forget about a STH-29-to-Interstate Highway conversion. Save it for Fictional Highways!

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 18, 2018, 04:42:30 PM
Forget about a STH-29-to-Interstate Highway conversion. Save it for Fictional Highways!

Agreed.  WI 29 will continue to evolve in the direction of interstate-compatibility for its entire length between I-41 at the Shawano Interchange in the Green Bay area and I-94 at the Elk Mound interchange, but we'll cross the 'promotion' bridge when it gets that far along.  I can easily envision WI 172 and WI 441 getting the snazzy signs long before WI 29 does.

Mike

Bickendan

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 13, 2018, 07:22:48 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on December 13, 2018, 05:15:26 AM
Quote from: DJ Particle on December 13, 2018, 02:39:53 AM
So what do you think will be the most likely number for WI-29 once it becomes an Interstate?

I-96 (Western)?
I-98?
An odd 3di of either I-94, I-39, or I-41?
WIS-29.

I can think of few things more annoying than the tendency to go "HURR THIS IS INTERSTATE-QUALITY FREEWAY NOW! LET'S SLAP THE RED WHITE AND BLUE ON IT!"
Yep. Equally annoying is that some mapping symbology (cough ODOT cough) delineates interstates only, leaving non-interstate freeways the same as generic divided highways.

That said, better make WI 29 I-92, just to really get on our nerves.

Henry

I echo that sentiment!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Henry on December 19, 2018, 02:39:25 PM

I echo that sentiment!

If you have read some of the ads from Green Bay area newsletters and free stuff in grocery stores many that show maps for whatever reason call it I-96.  Must have a spare DeLorean sitting somewhere......
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe they thought they were in Michigan!

MNHighwayMan

I like the idea of making it I-92. It's just 29 reversed. :awesomeface:

I-39

In all seriousness, after the project in Brown County is completed, what section of WIS 29 will be converted to freeway next?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: I-39 on December 19, 2018, 05:43:09 PM
In all seriousness, after the project in Brown County is completed, what section of WIS 29 will be converted to freeway next?

The interchange with I-94?
Maybe do something about Robin Ln in Wittenberg so the entire duplex with US 45 is freeway?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

IMHO, the part between WI 40 and Chippewa County 'T'.

Then the part between Ringle and Hatley.

Mike

tchafe1978

invincor

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 19, 2018, 09:11:25 PM

The interchange with I-94?
Maybe do something about Robin Ln in Wittenberg so the entire duplex with US 45 is freeway?

They do have the I-94/WIS29 interchange on the studies list here: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/nw/i94redcedar/default.aspx

And back on the topic of whether giving 29 an interstate number sometime in the future makes sense or not...the trouble with doing that is you'd leave two stubs of ordinary 2-lane WIS 29 on opposite ends of the state, and certainly they'd not want to have to renumber one or the other if they don't have to.  I'd guess they'd leave it as it is. 

I did have a thought in general about Wisconsin expressways though... leave them numbered as they are, but give expressways a special-colored shield to indicate their status.  Keep using the standard triangle/rectangle shield we have now, but have the top bit red and the box section blue maybe?  Or maybe use Wisconsin Badger colors?  Something other than white.

SEWIGuy

Having a couple free standing WI-29's on the opposite sides of the state really isn't "trouble."  99% of the public wouldn't even notice. 

GeekJedi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 21, 2018, 11:16:56 AM
Having a couple free standing WI-29's on the opposite sides of the state really isn't "trouble."  99% of the public wouldn't even notice. 

But I can almost guarantee that it's enough that WisDOT won't bother to give 29 an "I" designation. They're known for their "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 21, 2018, 11:48:42 AM
But I can almost guarantee that it's enough that WisDOT won't bother to give 29 an "I" designation. They're known for their "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

That does not line up at all with the designation of I-41.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 21, 2018, 11:57:55 AM
Quote from: GeekJedi on December 21, 2018, 11:48:42 AM

That does not line up at all with the designation of I-41.

I-41 wasn't pushed by WIDOT.  It was included in a federal highway bill.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.