News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FightingIrish

mgk920

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 06, 2019, 11:44:18 PM
The Waukesha Bypass will supposedly be completed this fall

https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/waukesha/2019/06/04/west-waukesha-bypass-project-complete-fall-2019-dot-says/3565393002/

Honestly, this is one of those proposed routes that I thought would *never* actually be built, this going back to the early 1980s.

Mike

GeekJedi

Quote from: mgk920 on June 07, 2019, 03:01:00 AM
Quote from: FightingIrish on June 06, 2019, 11:44:18 PM
The Waukesha Bypass will supposedly be completed this fall

https://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/waukesha/2019/06/04/west-waukesha-bypass-project-complete-fall-2019-dot-says/3565393002/

Honestly, this is one of those proposed routes that I thought would *never* actually be built, this going back to the early 1980s.

Mike

I am very much looking forward to it being done. I use Merrill Hills Rd./Mac Arthur Rd. quite a bit, and there's a lot of "white knuckling" going on. Merrill Hills Rd. is narrow, hilly, and full of traffic. Trying to make a left turn on to Merrill Hills from Mac Arthur can be quite scary.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

The Ghostbuster

The story does not say that US 18 will be rerouted onto the bypass, which I assume will happen. Also, the much-hated Google Maps does not indicate that Meadowbrook Road from Interstate 94 to US 18/Summit Road is now STH-318. Are there any Maps websites that do?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 07, 2019, 05:13:11 PM
The story does not say that US 18 will be rerouted onto the bypass, which I assume will happen. Also, the much-hated Google Maps does not indicate that Meadowbrook Road from Interstate 94 to US 18/Summit Road is now STH-318. Are there any Maps websites that do?

I am assuming US-18 will be routed onto the bypass, but the only legal thing that I can find is that it will be incorporated into the state highway system and signed as such.

FightingIrish

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 07, 2019, 05:30:17 PM

I am assuming US-18 will be routed onto the bypass, but the only legal thing that I can find is that it will be incorporated into the state highway system and signed as such.
I've heard that US 18 will follow the bypass to Summit Av. That was part of the plan to turn the local downtown section back to local control. That's also why WIS 74 was removed.

WIS 318 will complete the bypass between Summit and I-94.

If you have an account on OpenStreetMap, you can edit/add it yourself. ;)
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

dvferyance

I assume CR-TT will be decommissioned once the bypass is complete.

thspfc

I'm in Door County right now, notes from the Green Bay area:
- WI-172 approaching I-43 needs to be 6 lanes like the section near 41. Quite a bit of weaving between left and right lane traffic approaching I-43. Also needs a resurfacing.
- I-43 could also use a facelift all the way around Green Bay.
- WI-54/57 is a nice highway up the Door Peninsula, but there are lots of intersections, some of which I would like to see eliminated. A limited access Sturgeon Bay bypass would also be nice, but it's not dire.

SEWIGuy

WI-172 is really a mess in the mornings with traffic coming from the east.  The Riverside (WI-57) / Webster (CTH X) is backed up onto the highway on many days.  There is just not enough access to the De Pere area from anywhere else. 

The Ghostbuster

I wonder if any freeways/expressways in the state that currently don't have exit numbers will get numbers in the future.

Roads that I know of that currently don't have exit numbers:

STH-11 (and STH-69/STH-81) Monroe Bypass
STH-16/STH-67 Oconomowoc Bypass
STH-23 Freeway/Expressway from Plymouth to Sheboygan
US 45 Freeway between Oshkosh and US 10 near Winchester
STH-57 (and partially STH-54) Freeway/Expressway between Green Bay and STH-42 southeast of Sturgeon Bay
STH-119 Airport Spur Freeway
US 141 Freeway/Expressway between Abrams to near Beaver (north of STH-64)
US 151 Fond Du Lac Bypass
STH-172 South Freeway Bypass of Green Bay
STH-175 Miller Parkway/Stadium North Freeway (excluding the Stadium Interchange southbound)
STH-794 Lake Parkway

Big John

^^STH 441 outside the US 10 concurrency, though it has mile markers.

SSOWorld

It's pretty consistent with both MN and IL (no Interstate style mile markers/exit tabs for them).  IL has the per-county mile-marker outside the Interstate.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Quote from: Big John on June 15, 2019, 05:18:42 PM
^^STH 441 outside the US 10 concurrency, though it has mile markers.
Actually, they added exit numbers along this stretch circa 2017-2018; Calumet St/County KK is exit 7, College Ave/County CE is exit 8, Northland Ave/County OO is exit 10, and the northern terminus at US (I) 41 is exits 10A and 10B.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

gbgoose

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 15, 2019, 04:08:10 PM
I wonder if any freeways/expressways in the state that currently don't have exit numbers will get numbers in the future.

STH-57 (and partially STH-54) Freeway/Expressway between Green Bay and STH-42 southeast of Sturgeon Bay
STH-175 Miller Parkway/Stadium North Freeway (excluding the Stadium Interchange southbound)
STH-794 Lake Parkway

I can see WI-172 getting mile marked signs being connected to I-41 and I-43 - and also 151 around Fond du Lac. 

Does WI-30 in Madison have them currently?   I assume yes.

SSOWorld

Quote from: gbgoose on June 18, 2019, 07:53:52 PM

Does WI-30 in Madison have them currently?   I assume yes.
No
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

invincor

Over here in western Wisconsin...

WI 35 from Hudson to River Falls does not have exit numbers.

WI 64 from the MN line to New Richmond does have them.

And WI 29 from where it turns expressway at I-94 and heading east does have them.

When it comes to 35, there's a couple reasons I can think of for why it doesn't... one is that it may actually be difficult to determine what they should be since it's right in the middle of its length, and it's the longest highway in Wisconsin.  The other is that it has a recent history of getting rerouted in this area, and so this bit's numbers would change if it happens again.  Most recently it was shifted in River Falls off of Cascade Avenue and Main Street and down to Cemetery Road.  And around 1989 or so, it was shifted in Pierce County to keep it closer to the Mississippi River once traffic counts on the former county highways Q and the southern leg of E picked up. 

One long range option might be for 35 to be shifted again to the west, this time to take over County F from Prescott to Hudson.  The traffic counts for that to become state highway have been there for a long time, but the state is up against the mileage cap, and I've also been told there are too many private driveways with direct access on F for it to meet state highway standards.  Were that ever to become state highway, a high percentage of those would have to be closed off.   Still, if it ever did happen, then the Hudson-River Falls expressway would need a new number, and it could get single-digit exit numbers at that point.  (something like WI 594?)

SEWIGuy

Quote from: invincor on June 19, 2019, 09:17:32 AM
Over here in western Wisconsin...

WI 35 from Hudson to River Falls does not have exit numbers.

WI 64 from the MN line to New Richmond does have them.

And WI 29 from where it turns expressway at I-94 and heading east does have them.

When it comes to 35, there's a couple reasons I can think of for why it doesn't... one is that it may actually be difficult to determine what they should be since it's right in the middle of its length, and it's the longest highway in Wisconsin. 

WIDOT would know the exact mileage and would have no trouble determining exit numbers. 

invincor

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 19, 2019, 02:15:44 PM

WIDOT would know the exact mileage and would have no trouble determining exit numbers.

Like they did on US 10 ?   :)

The Ghostbuster

I live in Madison and can confirm that STH-30 does indeed have exit numbers. They were installed two years ago, shortly after blue mileposts were erected in the median. Also, I totally agree that the DOT made a major misnumbering mistake when it numbered US 10's exits between Marshfield and Appleton (off by about 40 miles). Unfortunately, I doubt those exit numbers will ever be corrected.

dvferyance

Quote from: gbgoose on June 18, 2019, 07:53:52 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 15, 2019, 04:08:10 PM

STH-794 Lake Parkway

I can see WI-172 getting mile marked signs being connected to I-41 and I-43 - and also 151 around Fond du Lac
I think it's good bet WI-23 will get them when the upgrade from Fond Du Lac to Plymouth is complete.

SSOWorld

I-39 has exit numbers, but the mileage they're based on isn't its own.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

DJ Particle

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 21, 2019, 05:01:28 AM
I-39 has exit numbers, but the mileage they're based on isn't its own.

According to Google Maps, they seem to be...unless the mile markers themselves are wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.