News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2023, 01:26:31 PM
I've noticed on the recent reconstruction work on 94 around Osseo they left space on the Buffalo River bridges for 6 lanes, so maybe Wisconsin is thinking about the jugular on this some distant future day...

The wide bridges are used now for when there's reconstruction and traffic is moved to one side of the freeway. I've noticed this as sections of I-94 are undergoing pavement replacement in Northwest Wisconsin and I-94 between Madison and Waukesha. Eventhough it seems like 6 lane expansion is no where in sight I do notice that WISDOT is making an effort to keep
Work zones at 2 lanes in each direction on I-94. There were even temporary eastbound lanes built by Osseo. Question is if it's that easy to build the temporary lanes why not use the bed for a permanent 3rd lane?

dvferyance

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 03, 2023, 06:57:51 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on December 02, 2023, 06:58:12 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 02, 2023, 08:21:59 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on December 02, 2023, 12:23:16 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 01, 2023, 03:49:41 PM
Well the top priority right now is I-41 expansion between Appleton and De Pere. But my guess is that three laning I-94 will gradually go east from Madison and west from Milwaukee.

It doesn't seem like WISDOT has any studies or interest in rebuilding I-94 between Madison and Waukesha but it should. The roadbed is shot and resurfacings don't last long anymore. Many of the interchanges are outdated especially at County C in Delafield. Here's the rankings right now in rebuilds based on construction:

1. I-41 between Appleton and De Pere: project approved
2. I-39/90/94 Wisconsin River Bridges wide enough for 8 lanes: project approved
3. I-94 between the Zoo and Marquette Interchanges: Ongoing study and is actively being pursued.
4. I-90 between Wis Dells and The Beltline: Currently being studied for expansion
\

Resources are limited so I get why the above are the current priorities.  A much as I agree that I-94 between Madison and Waukesha needs to be rebuilt and expanded, there just isn't enough to go around right now. And the current capacity is by and large fine for the time being.
They should have done it between Waukesha and Oconomowoc and forgot about the Waukesha bypass.

The Waukesha Bypass was needed. Traffic counts now support that. If you look at the remnants of Merrill Hills Rd., you're surprised that the accident count wasn't much higher than it was. There's no getting around the fact that Merrill Hills was a major route, and it allowed Waukesha to remove US-18 from town. It was money well spent (and split between the state, county, and city, so that money wouldn't have covered much of anything on 94).
But how many people took Hwy 18 and followed it all the way through town to the other side? Anyone doing that might as well just take I-94.

The Ghostbuster

If I remember correctly, US 18 was decommissioned within the city of Waukesha around the same time as STH 74 was decommissioned (and partially redesignated as an extension of CTH F), which would have been in 2015. The decommissioning of 74 and 18 through Waukesha was to free up state highway mileage to designate Meadowbrook Rd. as STH 318, and for US 18 to bypass Waukesha once the West Waukesha Bypass had been completed. I believe the West Waukesha Bypass should have been constructed decades ago, maybe when the pre-existing Les Paul Parkway was still designated CTH A.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on December 07, 2023, 06:11:51 PM
Well the top priority right now is I-41 expansion between Appleton and De Pere. But my guess is that three laning I-94 will gradually go east from Madison and west from Milwaukee.

It doesn't seem like WISDOT has any studies or interest in rebuilding I-94 between Madison and Waukesha but it should. The roadbed is shot and resurfacings don't last long anymore. Many of the interchanges are outdated especially at County C in Delafield. Here's the rankings right now in rebuilds based on construction:

3. I-94 between the Zoo and Marquette Interchanges: Ongoing study and is actively being pursued.
4. I-90 between Wis Dells and The Beltline: Currently being studied for expansion
\

Resources are limited so I get why the above are the current priorities.  A much as I agree that I-94 between Madison and Waukesha needs to be rebuilt and expanded, there just isn't enough to go around right now. And the current capacity is by and large fine for the time being.
They should have done it between Waukesha and Oconomowoc and forgot about the Waukesha bypass.

The Waukesha Bypass was needed. Traffic counts now support that. If you look at the remnants of Merrill Hills Rd., you're surprised that the accident count wasn't much higher than it was. There's no getting around the fact that Merrill Hills was a major route, and it allowed Waukesha to remove US-18 from town. It was money well spent (and split between the state, county, and city, so that money wouldn't have covered much of anything on 94).
But how many people took Hwy 18 and followed it all the way through town to the other side? Anyone doing that might as well just take I-94.

Bypassing around the city on US-18 isn't the only reason for the bypass.  In fact, looking at traffic count maps, 15-20,000 people a day use the west bypass. It looks like a significant portion use it to go from I-94 to south of Waukesha. And that makes perfect sense considering how the lake country and Waukesha County have exploded in population.

Building this bypass seems like a no-brainer to me. It should have been done years ago when they put the rest of the bypass in.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 08, 2023, 08:01:15 AM

\

Bypassing around the city on US-18 isn't the only reason for the bypass.  In fact, looking at traffic count maps, 15-20,000 people a day use the west bypass. It looks like a significant portion use it to go from I-94 to south of Waukesha. And that makes perfect sense considering how the lake country and Waukesha County have exploded in population.

Building this bypass seems like a no-brainer to me. It should have been done years ago when they put the rest of the bypass in.

I still remember seeing planning maps of that bypass back in the 1980s and thinking that 'that is just one of the many previously planned Milwaukee area freeways that won't be built'.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

The DOT website has a survey for the release of the 2025 State Highway Map: https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/95f265fe0ff84b2e8fb5bb9844413bfa. If anyone is interested, submit your replies.

GeekJedi

\

Not the point. This allowed the city to have WisDOT fix Summit Ave and then transfer it to the city. They'll no longer have to be held to WisDOT's standards on parking, design, etc. This whole project was essentially a win for everyone.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

tchafe1978

Quote from: mgk920 on December 08, 2023, 01:45:33 PM

\

I still remember seeing planning maps of that bypass back in the 1980s and thinking that 'that is just one of the many previously planned Milwaukee area freeways that won't be built'.

Mike

The bypass was never intended to be a freeway. That would've never gone through. You might be thinking of the proposed Belt Freeway that would've been further east through Menomonee Falls and Brookfield. If that had been built it would've basically been in our backyard in Brookfield. It's also one of the reasons we still had farm fields behind our house into the 1990s and was some of the last land to be developed in Brookfield and was near where the potential interchange with I-94 would've gone.

dvferyance

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 09, 2023, 11:30:17 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on December 08, 2023, 01:45:33 PM

\

Mike

The bypass was never intended to be a freeway. That would've never gone through. You might be thinking of the proposed Belt Freeway that would've been further east through Menomonee Falls and Brookfield. If that had been built it would've basically been in our backyard in Brookfield. It's also one of the reasons we still had farm fields behind our house into the 1990s and was some of the last land to be developed in Brookfield and was near where the potential interchange with I-94 would've gone.
It was proposed to be built very close to where I live too. Like 3/4 of a mile west.

The Ghostbuster

This was the proposed alignment for the Belt Freeway: https://www.wisconsinhighways.org/milwaukee/belt.html. And here is the Mequon Rd. overpass, which provides the only evidence that the Belt Freeway was ever proposed to exist: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2217212,-88.1570971,3a,75y,167.1h,74.55t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szzeBoLsdse7LXg5PmOQ6kw!2e0!5s20211001T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu. The bridge is currently under construction, and I think the space within the overpass where the freeway-to-freeway ramps would have been constructed will be filled in, since obviously the Belt Freeway is permanently dead.

mgk920

I was thinking about the Waukesha bypass.

Mike

GeekJedi

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 11, 2023, 12:45:26 PM
This was the proposed alignment for the Belt Freeway: https://www.wisconsinhighways.org/milwaukee/belt.html. And here is the Mequon Rd. overpass, which provides the only evidence that the Belt Freeway was ever proposed to exist: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2217212,-88.1570971,3a,75y,167.1h,74.55t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szzeBoLsdse7LXg5PmOQ6kw!2e0!5s20211001T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu. The bridge is currently under construction, and I think the space within the overpass where the freeway-to-freeway ramps would have been constructed will be filled in, since obviously the Belt Freeway is permanently dead.

The bridge work is done, and they left the space on both sides open.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

The Ghostbuster

The Mequon Rd. overpass is not far from a former state highway alignment. From 1926 to 1953, present-day Hilltop Rd. (south of Interstate 41/US 41/US 45) and present-day Goldendale Rd. (north of Interstate 41/US 41/US 45) was numbered STH 165. It connected US 41 (now STH 175) with US 45/STH 55 (now STH 145). When the new 41/45 alignment was constructed, 165 was severed on both sides and thus decommissioned (165 would be recommissioned in its present location in 1989).

peterj920

Wis 11/Wis 81 near Broadhead is becoming a 4 way stop because the County Highway Commission petitioned the state after 6 deaths in the last 3 years at that intersection. There will be a roundabout built in 2027.

https://www.nbc15.com/2023/12/10/wis-dot-turning-deadly-green-co-intersection-into-four-way-stop/?outputType=amp

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on December 13, 2023, 02:13:29 PM
Wis 11/Wis 81 near Broadhead is becoming a 4 way stop because the County Highway Commission petitioned the state after 6 deaths in the last 3 years at that intersection. There will be a roundabout built in 2027.

https://www.nbc15.com/2023/12/10/wis-dot-turning-deadly-green-co-intersection-into-four-way-stop/?outputType=amp

GG is the former routing of WI-11 into Broadhead where it entered town from the west then headed north on the current routing.  In the early 80s, they relocated WI-11 to its current routing so traffic could move straight through town.  Ironically they made that intersection more dangerous in the process.

The Ghostbuster

The project turning the STH-11/STH-81/CTH-GG intersection into a roundabout isn't presently listed on the DOT website. The only project close to this intersection is a proposed roundabout being constructed just to the east at the STH-81/CTH-T intersection in 2026: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/wis81-countyt/default.aspx. Maybe the project will show up on the DOT website next year. In any event, a four-way stop should have been implemented long ago, since the intersection is so dangerous.

peterj920

If Wis 11 was going to be rerouted anyways why wasn't a bypass of Broadhead built? I'm guessing this is when big plans for Wis 11 were scaled back. There's 4 land ROW from that intersection west to the 4 lane Monroe Bypass that probably won't be used.

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on December 14, 2023, 01:10:25 AM

If Wis 11 was going to be rerouted anyways why wasn't a bypass of Broadhead built? I'm guessing this is when big plans for Wis 11 were scaled back. There's 4 land ROW from that intersection west to the 4 lane Monroe Bypass that probably won't be used.

GG is the former routing of WI-11 into Broadhead where it entered town from the west then headed north on the current routing.  In the early 80s, they relocated WI-11 to its current routing so traffic could move straight through town.  Ironically they made that intersection more dangerous in the process.

Yea, WI 11 to the east was originally planned to run due eastward from Brodhead's south edge, continuing halfway between Janesville and Beloit and feeding into the WI 15 freeway (now I-43) at Clinton, WI.  It was planned in the 1950s/1960s era to be a freeway/expressway to run across the south edge of the state from Milwaukee to Dubuque,IA.

Mike

Molandfreak

It would be interesting if that actually happened and the fastest way from Dubuque to Chicago was through Wisconsin.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

mgk920

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 14, 2023, 08:54:48 AM
It would be interesting if that actually happened and the fastest way from Dubuque to Chicago was through Wisconsin.

Illinois would have certainly hopped to it and made similar improvements in the US 20 corridor, perhaps even including the ISTHA in the mix.

Mike

JoePCool14

Quote from: peterj920 on December 13, 2023, 02:13:29 PM

Good. That intersection felt quite sketchy when I've been through there. The angles and traffic volumes warrant something more. A roundabout would probably be the best solution, so hopefully that'll happen by the end of the decade.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

The Ghostbuster

I wonder if the STH-11/STH-104/CTH-T intersection in Broadhead will also eventually be converted into a roundabout?

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: peterj920 on December 05, 2023, 01:54:58 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2023, 01:26:31 PM
I've noticed on the recent reconstruction work on 94 around Osseo they left space on the Buffalo River bridges for 6 lanes, so maybe Wisconsin is thinking about the jugular on this some distant future day...

The wide bridges are used now for when there's reconstruction and traffic is moved to one side of the freeway. I've noticed this as sections of I-94 are undergoing pavement replacement in Northwest Wisconsin and I-94 between Madison and Waukesha. Eventhough it seems like 6 lane expansion is no where in sight I do notice that WISDOT is making an effort to keep
Work zones at 2 lanes in each direction on I-94. There were even temporary eastbound lanes built by Osseo. Question is if it's that easy to build the temporary lanes why not use the bed for a permanent 3rd lane?

Hi there, I actually worked alongside the NW region planning engineer in my previous position at WisDOT, and specifically asked about these wide bridges. The short answer is yes, the bridges are expected to last 50+ years, so all the 94 bridges being reconstructed as well as new overpasses are being constructed in such a way to allow for 3 driving lanes and a full hard shoulder when 3-laning commences at some point likely in the 2030s. An added benefit of this is that yes, they are able to run 4 lane bidirectional traffic over one of these bridges without a hard shoulder. I'd estimate 85-90% of the bridges between Hudson & Eau Claire are ready, and closer to 70% between Eau Claire and Portage. I know an upcoming major bridge project on the horizon locally will be the Chippewa River bridges in Eau Claire, which are currently 2 lanes with no hard shoulder. Regarding the temporary lanes, I want to say the recent projects in Dunn and St. Croix County included grading specifically for the new 3rd lane to come, especially around Roberts and the Knapp hill. I think we are closer than many think to shovels in the ground with this. The biggest hurdles have been replacing the original concrete (almost completely done), and the structures.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

JMAN_WiS&S

Hi all,

I'd like to become more involved with this thread again. Moved to an FTE position with DOT in NW Region at the beginning of the year and have been busy as all heck this year. Without bumping too much and backtracking through this years thread pages, I'd like to just touch on some updates locally that I'm aware of. If any of these have already been shared, please forgive me.

Waterborne paint went from 4" and 8" to 6" and 10" statewide for the 2023 painting season for retraces. 6/10 inch paint should've been included in all November 2023 let projects for next year. All epoxy retraces moving forward will be 6/10 inch. Freeway/Interstate lane lines (skips) for concrete surfaces will be moving from the former 2+4+2 black+white+black "oreo" pattern will now be painted in white/black lag full 6" pattern, like our neighbors down south and potentially elsewhere. Please let me know where you see the first application of this!

In the Chippewa Valley specifically, a handful of intersections have been upgraded from protected only left turns to time-of-day flashing yellow arrow signal heads. Single left turn lanes are for the most part getting 24H leading protected/permissive phasing, dual left turns get protected only from 6a-9p, run free protected/permissive 9-6. Some intersections these have been or will be completed are:

STH 178 & CTH I
STH 178 & STH 29NB & SB ramps
STH 124 & CTH J
STH 124 & CTH OO
STH 124 & Commercial Blvd
River Prairie Dr & USH 53 NB ramp
STH 35 & STH 54
STH 54 & USH 53 at Galesville

Boyceville, WI got its first signal this at the tail end of last year.

It was recently discovered to me that 10 years ago a traffic study was done for the USH 53 & Golf Rd interchange in Eau Claire, among other improvements along CTH AA and Golf Road, the long-term preferred alternative for the interchange is to construct a DDI. I suspect this will happen whenever that overpass gets replaced or traffic gets substantially worse. This whole area is already horribly over capacity on a normal weekend. It's my understanding that any upgrades in this areas are on hold until it is more clear what the future of the declining Oakwood mall brings. A redevelopment plan by the city was in the works but I've not heard any further on that.

The CTH T corridor from USH 12/CTH 312 in Eau Claire to STH 29 in the Town of Wheaton has been officially mapped with construction hopefully commencing before 2030 to widen the highway to a 4 lane divided expressway, with a few intersection closures and roundabouts for those that remain. An overpass at the railroad is also planned. The addition of the Country Jam USA music festival to this area of town will likely accelerate this project. Previous talks within the DOT suggested realigning US 12 down this new divided highway, and terminating CTH T at STH 29. To satisfy Elk Mound, DOT would to extend STH 40 from its current southern terminus at STH 29, onto the freshly vacated former USH 12 through Elk Mound and terminate STH 40 at STH 312 just east of I-94 in Eau Claire. It is my understanding that Dunn and Chippewa county were not fully onboard with this for some reason. These talks likely happened many years ago at this point.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

Molandfreak

Quote from: JMAN_WiS&S on December 15, 2023, 11:57:38 PM
The CTH T corridor from USH 12/CTH 312 in Eau Claire to STH 29 in the Town of Wheaton has been officially mapped with construction hopefully commencing before 2030 to widen the highway to a 4 lane divided expressway, with a few intersection closures and roundabouts for those that remain. An overpass at the railroad is also planned. The addition of the Country Jam USA music festival to this area of town will likely accelerate this project. Previous talks within the DOT suggested realigning US 12 down this new divided highway, and terminating CTH T at STH 29. To satisfy Elk Mound, DOT would to extend STH 40 from its current southern terminus at STH 29, onto the freshly vacated former USH 12 through Elk Mound and terminate STH 40 at STH 312 just east of I-94 in Eau Claire. It is my understanding that Dunn and Chippewa county were not fully onboard with this for some reason. These talks likely happened many years ago at this point.
Interesting news. Any upgrades to the existing interchanges at STH 312 and STH 29?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.