News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on January 12, 2024, 10:52:08 PM
Between Hudson and the Dells?

SM-G991U

No. I was just pointing out that that portion of I-94 is similar to the I-43 situation.

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 43 also replaced STH 15 between Beloit and Milwaukee, as everyone knows. Of course, the Rock Freeway officially became 43 in late 1987, 11 years after the freeway was completed to Interstate 90 (now Interstate 39/90).

JREwing78

I would consider the US-141 situation relatively unique in Wisconsin.

US-141 historically terminated in Milwaukee, both as the original 2-lane alignment and the later freeway alignment. There was no reason to continue the designation south of Green Bay once the I-43 designation was made, since there were no segments of US-141 that extended past Milwaukee.

Could WisDOT have left US-141 on the lesser roadway and used a temporary state highway designation on the new freeway? Sure - and if they planned on maintaining the old roadway, that would've been the smart move. But there apparently were plans to route I-43 "up the middle" along Hwy 57 between I-(US-)41 and the US-141 corridor. I-43 would go directly to Green Bay instead of serving Sheboygan and Manitowoc. In that scenario, US-141 would've remained 2-lane north of Sheboygan, with freeway south to Port Washington.

When those plans for an "up the middle" I-43 were shot down, WisDOT pivoted to using the US-141 freeway segments for I-43, with new terrain freeway north of Sheboygan to Manitowoc and Green BAy. At that point US-141 south of Green Bay became an (unnecessary) redundant designation. The silly thing is that US-141 is maintained as a state-maintained roadway through Green Bay instead of using a Business I-43 designation, so they maintain a 30 mile segment of unnecessary duplex between Green Bay and Abrams.

Most of I-94 west of Milwaukee was built on roadway that didn't previously carry a US highway designation, and WisDOT wisely didn't make any moves to put US highways on the Interstate roadway. Though US-12 is mainly a secondary roadway west of the Dells, it's still an important state-maintained corridor, and is helpful in situations where traffic has to divert from the Interstate in emergencies. Hwy 15, being a state highway, also became a redundant designation when WisDOT got the I-43 designation on it.

US-51 maintains its duplex with I-39 (and brief triplex with I-39/90) because US-51 extends both north and south of the section of I-39, and has several sections that deviate from the Interstate corridor. This makes it a harder designation to remove (if folks were so inclined).

Could IDOT and WisDOT potentially truncate US-51 back to Bloomington, IL? Perhaps, but it's a lot of upheaval and change for no good reason. Also, since we're dealing with a US highway, the AASHTO rule about not downgrading a US highway to a lesser roadway comes into play. Otherwise both IDOT and WisDOT could've taken US-51 off the I-39 freeway and removed the redundant IL-251 designation.

Molandfreak

Quote from: JREwing78
Could IDOT and WisDOT potentially truncate US-51 back to Bloomington, IL? Perhaps, but it's a lot of upheaval and change for no good reason. Also, since we're dealing with a US highway, the AASHTO rule about not downgrading a US highway to a lesser roadway comes into play. Otherwise both IDOT and WisDOT could've taken US-51 off the I-39 freeway and removed the redundant IL-251 designation.
But as I said before, AASHTO typically will go for removing a US Highway from a toll road. And even then, it's not automatically guaranteed they wouldn't go for removal from a non-tolled freeway since they've basically given North Carolina everything they've wanted in the past few years (including examples of moving US highways off freeways with interstate designations).
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JREwing78 on January 13, 2024, 11:47:41 PM
When those plans for an "up the middle" I-43 were shot down, WisDOT pivoted to using the US-141 freeway segments for I-43, with new terrain freeway north of Sheboygan to Manitowoc and Green BAy. At that point US-141 south of Green Bay became an (unnecessary) redundant designation. The silly thing is that US-141 is maintained as a state-maintained roadway through Green Bay instead of using a Business I-43 designation, so they maintain a 30 mile segment of unnecessary duplex between Green Bay and Abrams.

A "Business I-43"designation wouldn't have made any sense because one of its two endpoints would not have been I-43.  Someone mentioned here that the federal government wants state maintenance over bridge over waterways. So that means that the Main Street bridge downtown needs to be a state highway.  So WIDOT was left with two options.  Either create a new highway designation along Velp Ave, across the Main Street bridge and ending were WI-29 takes over Main Street. Or just keep US-141.

Rothman

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 14, 2024, 07:44:58 AM

A "Business I-43"designation wouldn't have made any sense because one of its two endpoints would not have been I-43.  Someone mentioned here that the federal government wants state maintenance over bridge over waterways. So that means that the Main Street bridge downtown needs to be a state highway.  So WIDOT was left with two options.  Either create a new highway designation along Velp Ave, across the Main Street bridge and ending were WI-29 takes over Main Street. Or just keep US-141.
Wait, what?

That is far too much of a generalization.  Although FHWA has made a lot of funding available to States for bridge maintenance (e.g., broadening NHPP for use on bridges not on the NHS) there is no mandate or strong recommendation that State DOTs maintain all bridges over waterways.

Shoot, NYSDOT is just going through its "Bridge NY" initiative solicitations right now to fund local maintenance of bridges. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Rothman on January 14, 2024, 07:52:52 AM

Wait, what?

That is far too much of a generalization.  Although FHWA has made a lot of funding available to States for bridge maintenance (e.g., broadening NHPP for use on bridges not on the NHS) there is no mandate or strong recommendation that State DOTs maintain all bridges over waterways.

Shoot, NYSDOT is just going through its "Bridge NY" initiative solicitations right now to fund local maintenance of bridges. 

Sorry I wasn't clear.  It has to do with the designation of the Fox River and/or the Port of Green Bay, and that is why all of the bridges over the Fox in the Green Bay area carry a state designation.

I can't find the post and it could very well be 100% wrong.

Big John

Wait, what?

For some reason, the City of Green Bay is the maintainer of the Main Street bridge while WisDOT is the maintainer of all the other Fox River bridges in Green Bay.

Rothman

Quote from: Big John on January 14, 2024, 08:21:27 AM

Wait, what?

For some reason, the City of Green Bay is the maintainer of the Main Street bridge while WisDOT is the maintainer of all the other Fox River bridges in Green Bay.
In NY, the reason would be centuries old records of ownership/construction/legislation/agreements. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JREwing78

Nothing stopping a Business I-43 from happening - that's what Business Spur routes are for!

Not typical WisDOT SOP - they're non-belivers in designating Business route highways. I understand the reason to keep US-141 in Green Bay. It's just silly.

The Ghostbuster

There have been Business Routes designated for State Highways and US Highways, but not for Interstates within the state of Wisconsin. I don't see any Interstate Business Routes being designated; the best we'll get is those Alternate Interstate designations along parallel corridors. I think Wisconsin is moving away from designating new Business Routes, as a number have been done away with over the last few decades, and more may be eliminated in the future.

Molandfreak

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 14, 2024, 01:16:58 PM
There have been Business Routes designated for State Highways and US Highways, but not for Interstates within the state of Wisconsin. I don't see any Interstate Business Routes being designated; the best we'll get is those Alternate Interstate designations along parallel corridors. I think Wisconsin is moving away from designating new Business Routes, as a number have been done away with over the last few decades, and more may be eliminated in the future.
I could see the village of Elk Mound requesting Business US 12 when WisDOT takes over CTH-T. They would have a good case for it since the BGS's on I-94 and STH-29 would just need a "business" patch rather than a complete replacement.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SEWIGuy

And WIDOT will probably say "sign what you want. We're not maintaining it."

GeekJedi

Typically, the state will allow "Business Routes" if the municipality requests it, but once the signs are up the state is no longer responsible for the road. It is considered a locally-maintained road.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Molandfreak

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 14, 2024, 02:12:35 PM
According to Jman_WiS&S, current US 12 through Elk Mound is planned to become an extension of STH-40 when that project is completed, so it will still be in the state highway system.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 14, 2024, 02:51:46 PM
According to Jman_WiS&S, current US 12 through Elk Mound is planned to become an extension of STH-40 when that project is completed, so it will still be in the state highway system.

That's different than creating a business route. What you are describing isn't unprecedented.

JMAN_WiS&S

We are no longer maintaining business route signage and are no longer creating new business routes. Officially I believe there is only one official business route in the state, and I know it's not in the NW region.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 14, 2024, 02:51:46 PM

The relocating of USH 12 and extension of STH40 is purely my own speculation based on conversations about what could and most likely would happen with various people in planning over the years. There is no official plan in place yet as far as I'm aware. I don't think there are full plans for CTH T yet.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: JMAN_WiS&S on January 16, 2024, 03:38:44 PM
We are no longer maintaining business route signage and are no longer creating new business routes. Officially I believe there is only one official business route in the state, and I know it's not in the NW region.

Wausau.

Stevens Point got turned over to local control a while ago.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hobsini2

I know one Business route is still in effect in Green Lake for Bus Wis 23.
But honestly, Lancaster should have BUS US 61 on the current US 61 and US 61 should go on Wis 129.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mgk920

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 16, 2024, 07:26:55 PM

But honestly, Lancaster should have BUS US 61 on the current US 61 and US 61 should go on Wis 129.

Is BR US 51 in the Stevens Point area still there?

Mike

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on January 16, 2024, 10:29:46 PM

Is BR US 51 in the Stevens Point area still there?

Mike

According to GSV, it still was signed as of this summer.

triplemultiplex

The Stevens Point business route is still plenty signed, it's just under local jurisdiction now.  Before, it was on the state highway system, like Bus 51 in Wausau.

Signage on that one is quite limited, though.  It lacks reassurance markers once you've turned onto it, and in town, it's only signed at the junctions where it makes a 90 degree turn.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

The Wisconsin State Highway Map inset for Stevens Point shows the Business 51 designation terminating at the Stevens Point City Limits on Post Road just past the Minnesota Ave. intersection. It has shown it like this for some time, even though Business 51 still exists as it always has between Exit 151 and Exit 161 on Interstate 39/US 51. This is likely because Business 51 was removed from the state highway system in 2009. The rest of the business route was supposed to also be removed from the state highway system in 2020, but I do not know whether that occurred.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.