News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2018, 11:41:40 AMIt could also be similar to the fate that befell the NJ Turnpike and their BGSs:  Interchange names aren't MUTCD-friendly.  While that next sign replacement project you mentioned may change things, the PA Turnpike also has the interchange names on their toll tickets, so there would need to be some additional changes made if the interchange names came off the BGSs approaching the exits.
IMHO, those interchange names (at least those within the ticketed system) will likely remain until the system & related booths are completely phased out.  The Delaware Valley name for the US 13 interchange (Exit 42/formerly Exit 358) became expendable once the mainline ticketed/toll plaza was relocated west of the I-95 connection and the tolling of said-interchange ceased.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 09, 2018, 05:40:23 PM
Getting back on topic, does anyone know if the intercity bus companies have started to use the new flyovers?
Apparently Greyhound does: http://locations.greyhound.com/bus-routes/destination/new-york-ny/philadelphia-pa
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 09:45:39 AM
Bottom line: if one's navigation system directs an AC-bound traveler from Delaware/points south to use I-95 to I-76 (due to either accident, construction or peak-travel-related delays on either the Delaware Memorial Bridge or on the NJ side of such), they're more likely to use such.  Not everybody out there is either geographically or road savvy as those here on this site.

When I got my car in 2016 it had a 6 month free trial of the full OnStar subscription.  It was going to cost about $30 per month to continue it, so I let it devolve into the lowest package which costs nothing, it has the full nav system but no traffic messages, so I won't hear about any of those delays nor will my routing be adjusted due to traffic conditions.  Given the cost I would surmise that many people do the same thing.  So we wouldn't get a routing like above.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

KEVIN_224

I'm wondering about Greyhound and Peter Pan for Philly routes. Any time I took them to or from New York City, it always involved NJ Turnpike Exit 4 (NJ Route 73).

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beltway on October 10, 2018, 05:30:50 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 09:45:39 AM
Bottom line: if one's navigation system directs an AC-bound traveler from Delaware/points south to use I-95 to I-76 (due to either accident, construction or peak-travel-related delays on either the Delaware Memorial Bridge or on the NJ side of such), they're more likely to use such.  Not everybody out there is either geographically or road savvy as those here on this site.

When I got my car in 2016 it had a 6 month free trial of the full OnStar subscription.  It was going to cost about $30 per month to continue it, so I let it devolve into the lowest package which costs nothing, it has the full nav system but no traffic messages, so I won't hear about any of those delays nor will my routing be adjusted due to traffic conditions.  Given the cost I would surmise that many people do the same thing.  So we wouldn't get a routing like above.
We're going to have to agree to disagree here.  Also, keep in mind that not everyone has a vehicle that is either new enough nor is equipped with a built-in navigation system (it's optional on many models).  I've known many drivers that use their smart-phones or a separate unit for GPS/Waze/etc. systems.  My friend that kept going off-and-on Susquehanna Rd. was using the GPS on his phone.

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 10, 2018, 06:22:23 PM
I'm wondering about Greyhound and Peter Pan for Philly routes. Any time I took them to or from New York City, it always involved NJ Turnpike Exit 4 (NJ Route 73).
See NE2's post two replies back (reposted below).
Quote from: NE2 on October 10, 2018, 03:04:05 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on October 09, 2018, 05:40:23 PM
Getting back on topic, does anyone know if the intercity bus companies have started to use the new flyovers?
Apparently Greyhound does: http://locations.greyhound.com/bus-routes/destination/new-york-ny/philadelphia-pa
Don't know whether Peter Pan bus lines has started using such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 06:40:56 PM
We're going to have to agree to disagree here.  Also, keep in mind that not everyone has a vehicle that is either new enough nor is equipped with a navigation system (it's optional on many models).  I've known many drivers that use GPS/Waze/etc. systems on their smart-phones.

I am not disagreeing with you ... just mentioning that there are some people like me that don't get those messages ... I have a cell phone but no smart phone.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beltway on October 10, 2018, 06:44:18 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 06:40:56 PM
We're going to have to agree to disagree here.  Also, keep in mind that not everyone has a vehicle that is either new enough nor is equipped with a navigation system (it's optional on many models).  I've known many drivers that use GPS/Waze/etc. systems on their smart-phones.

I am not disagreeing with you ... just mentioning that there are some people like me that don't get those messages ... I have a cell phone but no smart phone.
Same here (regarding the cell phone).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beltway

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2018, 06:45:31 PM
Same here (regarding the cell phone).

I spend too much time online already ... a smart phone would just it make more excessive. :-)  The cell phone has texting, calendar, calculator, alarm clock, and is a timepiece (don't need to wear a watch), so I do OK with this.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

qguy

Quote from: Beltway on October 10, 2018, 06:55:13 AM
Quote from: qguy on October 10, 2018, 06:20:10 AM
A pseudo-exception is the PA 29 exit. When it was completed a few years ago, it wasn't given a name, so it has no name to lose.
They could call it Devault.

A lot of people, myself included, call it the Great Valley exit, because that's what that area is called. In fact, the nearby Penn State branch campus is called the Great Valley Campus.

Beltway

Quote from: qguy on October 10, 2018, 10:32:02 PM
Quote from: Beltway on October 10, 2018, 06:55:13 AM
Quote from: qguy on October 10, 2018, 06:20:10 AM
A pseudo-exception is the PA 29 exit. When it was completed a few years ago, it wasn't given a name, so it has no name to lose.
They could call it Devault.
A lot of people, myself included, call it the Great Valley exit, because that's what that area is called. In fact, the nearby Penn State branch campus is called the Great Valley Campus.

That area is indeed called the Great Valley, but for some reason that name is not on the official state highway map.

I think that Phoenixville is the largest boro that is nearby, and I suppose they could use that for the name as well.  The interchange does provide the first good connectivity between the Turnpike and the boro.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadsguy

Or they could omit the name entirely and give it the control cities of Phoenixville and Malvern. :spin:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

qguy

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 11, 2018, 12:22:28 AM
Or they could omit the name entirely and give it the control cities of Phoenixville and Malvern. :spin:

I get grief from my own son!

(I feel like I should be doing a Rodney Dangerfield impression. [Grips tie.])

jemacedo9

The PTC is not giving names to the EZPass-only exits (as mentioned upstream in this thread) because those exits will never appear on tickets, IMO - so there's real no need.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beltway on October 10, 2018, 11:17:40 PMThat area is indeed called the Great Valley, but for some reason that name is not on the official state highway map.
That's because Great Valley (aka Chester Valley per Wiki) is more of a region than a community.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ekt8750

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 11, 2018, 08:34:01 AM
Quote from: Beltway on October 10, 2018, 11:17:40 PMThat area is indeed called the Great Valley, but for some reason that name is not on the official state highway map.
That's because Great Valley (aka Chester Valley per Wiki) is more of a region than a community.

Correct. That area is generally the Borough of Malvern and the surrounding townships all have areas that are apart of the Malvern zip code.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 11, 2018, 12:57:19 PM

Correct. That area is generally the Borough of Malvern and the surrounding townships all have areas that are apart of the Malvern zip code.

Didn't that name kinda originate because of 'Silicon Valley' in California, so they just wanted something more catchy than "Malvern"?

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2018, 01:07:19 PM

Didn't that name kinda originate because of 'Silicon Valley' in California, so they just wanted something more catchy than "Malvern"?

Wouldn't surprise me. There's a lot of corporate campuses in that area.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2018, 01:07:19 PM

Hey! Malvern was a catchy name back in its day. Mind you that day being over a century ago, but it had its day.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

briantroutman

If you're intimating that the "Great Valley"  name was cut from whole cloth by some local developer or booster group seeking an easily marketable name for developable suburban land–no, that's not the case.

Great Valley is an old name for the real geological valley in this area–really, a narrow strip of "Piedmont Lowland"  running through Chester County sandwiched between two sections of "Piedmont Upland"  (See this geological map of Pennsylvania). It's roughly parallel to the much better known "Great Valley" , the wide and mostly flat area south and east of Blue Mountain that spans multiple states.

Moreover, Great Valley can't be considered a rebranding of Malvern because Malvern isn't in the valley. Take a look at a topographical map. Malvern, Paoli, Berwyn, etc. are on the ridge south of the valley. It's Exton, Tredyffrin Township, Chesterbrook, and King of Prussia that are in the valley.

roadman65

I guess now the MUTCD does not like the all upper case interchange name.  Too bad they cannot get rid of the Norristown department of redundancy department guide there.

That got to be as it was when I-476 never connected to the Mid- County exchange.  Germantown Pike was the way into the city from the extension plus on the mainline it was signed as one of 5 interchanges on the East- West Mainline.  When the Blue Route opened, PTC thought it was not needed to sign that exit for Philly no more with the better standard route nearby.  So it got replaced keeping the original format resulting in NORRISTOWN to Norristown exit signage.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jemacedo9

Quote from: briantroutman on October 11, 2018, 03:26:45 PM
If you’re intimating that the “Great Valley” name was cut from whole cloth by some local developer or booster group seeking an easily marketable name for developable suburban land—no, that’s not the case.

Great Valley is an old name for the real geological valley in this area—really, a narrow strip of “Piedmont Lowland” running through Chester County sandwiched between two sections of “Piedmont Upland” (See this geological map of Pennsylvania). It’s roughly parallel to the much better known “Great Valley”, the wide and mostly flat area south and east of Blue Mountain that spans multiple states.

Moreover, Great Valley can’t be considered a rebranding of Malvern because Malvern isn’t in the valley. Take a look at a topographical map. Malvern, Paoli, Berwyn, etc. are on the ridge south of the valley. It’s Exton, Tredyffrin Township, Chesterbrook, and King of Prussia that are in the valley.

Exactly right...I learned about this in grade school being so close to the area.

From a municipality, Malvern Borough is a small borough on the southern ridge.  Paoli and Berwyn are unincorporated place names on the south ridge.
Tredyffrin, and East and West Whiteland Twps are mainly in the valley.  Chesterbrook, Great Valley, Frazer, and Exton are unincorporated place names in the valley.

US 202 uses Paoli (PA 252), Great Valley (PA 29 N), Malvern (PA 29 S), Frazer (PA 401 and US 30), and Exton (US 30/Bus US 30) as control cities on it's exits in the area.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2018, 03:55:29 PMI guess now the MUTCD does not like the all upper case interchange name.
What makes you say that?  All the recent replacement signage (for existing interchanges) elsewhere along the PA Turnpike still feature such.
Example of a new sign at the Lansdale (PA 63) interchange (additional E-ZPass-Only slip ramps were added since this pic was taken):

Edit in blue:
As previously mentioned, the only reason why the US 13 interchange signage lost its Delaware Valley name was due to it no longer being within the tolled system of the Turnpike.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2018, 04:47:22 PMKeyser Avenue is not within the system.
Looking through Historic Aerials, this interchange, while outside the ticketed system, was constructed during the mid-1990s & prior to E-ZPass.  Toll collecting along this stretch was done similar to the Garden State Parkway (cash booths along the mainline).  The likely reason that newish interchange was named was likely tradition.

I have since edited my post to reflect the above.  That said, I would suggest that further discussion on other parts of the PA Turnpike be done on that thread.  This one IMHO has been derailed enough.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadwarriors79

As of today, the only map updates for the I-95/PA Turnpike interchange have been from Waze and Google. Apple, Bing, Mapquest have yet to show any changes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.