Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

I-73 in VA

<< < (2/175) > >>

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: leifvanderwall on October 10, 2009, 10:55:40 PM ---I think I-73 is better served on the US 23 corridor and besides I think we have enough interstates gobbling up US 220 as it is. Is there a conspiracy to get rid of US 220?

--- End quote ---

Which part of the US 23 corridor?

The Kentucky-Virginia part doesn't need an interstate designation, neither does the section from Columbus to Portsmouth.

leifvanderwall:
I disagree. Perhaps on my next roadtrip I'll take US 23 from Columbus to Atlanta, GA.

Alps:
(Off-topic discussion about alternative I-73 has been moved to Fictional Highways.  Please remember that all discussion of nonexistent, non-planned, and alternative highways goes there.)

hbelkins:
Keep in mind that I-73 is supposed to go on the Smart Road near Blacksburg and over to I-81 in the Roanoke-Salem vicinity. It will be a prohibitively expensive upgrade to convert US 460 from Blacksburg to Bluefield into an interstate.

CanesFan27:
The citizen's group, Virginians for Appropriate Roads, have filed with the US 4th Circuit Court of Appeals on Judge James C. Turk's decision allowing VDOT to proceed with planning/building I-73.

VAR believes that VDOT did not diligently consider upgrading current US 220 to Interstate Standards vs. building a new alignment for I-73.

Even if they win the appeal, VAR concedes that VDOT can still study US 220 and decide to build I-73 on a new alignment.

Story:
http://www.thesunnews.com/news/local/story/1115740.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version