Now, for the public forum on US 69/ARRA project in JoCo

Started by route56, June 16, 2009, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

KDOT & City of Overland Park Host Public Information Open House for US-69 Reconstruction Project in Johnson County

The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) and the City of Overland Park are hosting a public information open house for the US-69 reconstruction project in Johnson County on Wednesday, June 17 at the Holiday Inn, 8787 Reeder Road, in Overland Park, Kansas 66214. The public is invited to stop by the open house anytime between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.

We invite anyone interested in the US-69 project to come and learn about the project, view displays for construction phasing, potential traffic impacts, and noise wall construction. KDOT, City of Overland Park, and consultant staff will be on hand to answer questions about the US-69 project.

The US-69 reconstruction project includes the complete rebuilding of US-69 from north of 103rd Street to I-35 in Johnson County. Improvements include the rebuilding of Lenexa Drive from 84th Terrace to Farley, and the widening of northbound and southbound US-69 from two lanes to three lanes in each direction, from north of 103rd Street to I-35, as well as improvements to the US-69/95th Street interchange. New designated exit lanes for 75th Street will move traffic off of I-35 sooner and will utilize the existing tunnel that was constructed as part of the 87th Street/I-35 interchange project in Lenexa.

Project construction is scheduled to begin in mid-summer 2009, with a tentative completion date of fall 2011. The US-69 reconstruction project is a cooperative effort, funded in part by the Kansas Department of Transportation, using American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 funds, and the City of Overland Park.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Hellfighter

I know US-69 is freeway in parts, but is this project meant to make it a freeway from at least US-400 to I-35?

froggie

The segment in question (north of I-435 to I-35) is already freeway.

route56

What Froggie said. The segment in question was built as a non-interstate freeway in the 1970s.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Hellfighter

Oh, so they're upgrading it to interstate standards, but will they extend the freeway to as far as US-400?

Revive 755

Quote from: froggie
May not necessarily be to Interstate standard (depends on the proposed shoulder widths).  And extending the freeway down to US 400 would involve close to 50 miles of construction...something far outside the scope of this 2 mile project.

And probably unnecessary since US 71 is only 20 miles east and supposedly posted at 70.  Unless there really is that much traffic in the area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.