Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Cleveland Opportunity Corridor

<< < (19/20) > >>

mrsman:

--- Quote from: thenetwork on November 13, 2021, 03:28:26 PM ---The Opportunity Corridor officially opened Friday after rush hour.

More photos:  https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/11/opportunity-corridor-boulevard-officially-opens-in-cleveland.html

Looking at some of the photos, I'm sort of disappointed that ODOT has treated the SR‐10 extention signing like the red-headed stepchild.  They had more than enough time to properly sign the extension on the BGSs.

And that first photo ‐- Makes it look like its called the "Toledo Opportunity Corridor".

--- End quote ---

I don't see the extension of OH-10 along the COC as being necessary or desirable.  OH-10 is a local route between Downtown and the western suburbs, largely along Lorain Ave.  That is where it belongs.

Connecting OH-10 to COC requires several turns and even a stretch along I-77.  IMO, it would be better to have the COC take on OH-490, a state highway extension of the interstate number.  A number of other states do similar, attaching a state number to an extension of an interstate that does not meet interstate requirements, even non-freeways.  One that comes to mind is CA-110 along Gaffey St in San Pedro, CA.

silverback1065:

--- Quote from: mrsman on December 28, 2021, 12:53:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: thenetwork on November 13, 2021, 03:28:26 PM ---The Opportunity Corridor officially opened Friday after rush hour.

More photos:  https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2021/11/opportunity-corridor-boulevard-officially-opens-in-cleveland.html

Looking at some of the photos, I'm sort of disappointed that ODOT has treated the SR‐10 extention signing like the red-headed stepchild.  They had more than enough time to properly sign the extension on the BGSs.

And that first photo ‐- Makes it look like its called the "Toledo Opportunity Corridor".

--- End quote ---

I don't see the extension of OH-10 along the COC as being necessary or desirable.  OH-10 is a local route between Downtown and the western suburbs, largely along Lorain Ave.  That is where it belongs.

Connecting OH-10 to COC requires several turns and even a stretch along I-77.  IMO, it would be better to have the COC take on OH-490, a state highway extension of the interstate number.  A number of other states do similar, attaching a state number to an extension of an interstate that does not meet interstate requirements, even non-freeways.  One that comes to mind is CA-110 along Gaffey St in San Pedro, CA.

--- End quote ---

i thought ODOT didn't maintain state routes in cities. Is that not true?  :hmmm:

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: silverback1065 on December 28, 2021, 01:04:41 PM ---i thought ODOT didn't maintain state routes in cities. Is that not true?  :hmmm:

--- End quote ---

They don't, but that doesn't mean that state routes and US routes aren't signed in municipalities to allow for wayfinding. Cleveland already maintains stretches of the SR 2 and SR 176 freeways.

The Ghostbuster:
Maybe the Opportunity Corridor should have remained unnumbered, or given a state highway designation not current being used.

Hot Rod Hootenanny:

--- Quote from: mrsman on December 28, 2021, 12:53:46 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

1) Ohio does NOT duplicate highway numbers. If I-490 exists, then there will not be an Ohio 490. (in spite of all the US ohio route shields & Ohio us route shields we photograph as sign errors)

2) Opportunity Corridor was decided to have a route number because ODOT was involved with the road project. If was just a Cleveland, or Cuyahoga County, road project, maybe there would not have been a number designation.

3) All that said, I don't know why Oh 10 was chosen for this road instead of a new number or moving US 6, 20, or 322 over. Maybe there are some notes, or article, back on page 1 or 2 of this thread that will logically explain Oh 10's eastern extension.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version