AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: New York  (Read 1641820 times)

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 06:05:12 PM
Re: New York
« Reply #5650 on: October 14, 2021, 07:51:19 PM »

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9146312,-72.6616973,3a,27.2y,290.38h,90.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sY_Z0QGeYjqgh6HOddxr8bg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That's likely erroneous. I'd call it equivalent to the END NY 9L sign at Washington Street in Glens Falls. It's where NYSDOT maintenance ends, but not where the route officially ends. Signs along the LIE still say NY 24. GIS and route log send it west to the LIE.

Note that signs along the surface west of that point have rarely indicated that it was NY 24. As far as Suffolk County is concerned, it's just another county route. As another example of "Suffolk County is being dumb", see how the county-maintained section of NY 27 is signed "TO NY 27".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

yakra

• Last Login: February 13, 2024, 06:39:12 PM
« Reply #5651 on: October 14, 2021, 08:45:09 PM »

Sounds like hey need to get hip to some of those End State Maintenance signs like they have in TX & NE.
Note that signs along the surface west of that point have rarely indicated that it was NY 24
I saw a lot of TO NY24 in GMSV.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:22 PM
« Reply #5652 on: October 14, 2021, 08:58:49 PM »

Sounds like hey need to get hip to some of those End State Maintenance signs like they have in TX & NE.
Note that signs along the surface west of that point have rarely indicated that it was NY 24

I saw the "TO NY 24" signs along CR 94, but I did not see the END shield as I was driving eastbound. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 06:05:12 PM
« Reply #5653 on: October 14, 2021, 09:04:14 PM »

Those are new, but again, I wouldn't take it to mean anything. See my NY 27 example. They will not post signs for a state route along their roads and if the state doesn't feel like posting new signs, signs won't go up. The BGS along 495 indicates 24 is still a thing out there, I would take state signs over anything the county installs.

See also: US 6, which CDOT says ends in Mack, Colorado.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:08:14 PM by cl94 »
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:55 PM
« Reply #5654 on: October 19, 2021, 10:38:39 AM »

Cross-posting this from another thread, regarding the intersection of NY 286 and Five Mile Line Road in Penfield:

intersection improvements at this intersection are now complete! There's new left turn lanes on all approaches and a southbound right turn lane. Sidewalks, crosswalks, and striping aren't quite finished yet, but functionally it's more or less complete, and it's about time! Now a much smoother experience than the previous shoulder-bumping stop-and-go slugfest.

Great Lakes Roads

• Always gotta stop at a Buc-ee's!

• Last Login: Today at 08:51:47 PM
« Reply #5655 on: October 21, 2021, 02:59:09 PM »

https://danburycountry.com/mid-hudson-bridge-will-soon-say-goodbye-to-toll-booths-heres-when/

So, the next bridge to convert to cashless tolling on the New York State Bridge Authority (NYSBA) system will be the Rip-Van Winkle bridge, which is set to go live on November 1st.
After that, the next one to convert to cashless tolling will be the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge, which construction of the toll gantry is underway, and it's expected to go live sometime in December.
The final one to convert to cashless tolling will be the Mid-Hudson Bridge, which is set to go live sometime in March 2022.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:32 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5656 on: October 23, 2021, 08:33:38 AM »

https://danburycountry.com/mid-hudson-bridge-will-soon-say-goodbye-to-toll-booths-heres-when/

So, the next bridge to convert to cashless tolling on the New York State Bridge Authority (NYSBA) system will be the Rip-Van Winkle bridge, which is set to go live on November 1st.
After that, the next one to convert to cashless tolling will be the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge, which construction of the toll gantry is underway, and it's expected to go live sometime in December.
The final one to convert to cashless tolling will be the Mid-Hudson Bridge, which is set to go live sometime in March 2022.
Well, it's no Bear Mountain toll booth, but I wouldn't mind if somebody got a pic of that and posted it in Wikimedia Commons.

astralentity

• Last Login: September 25, 2023, 03:23:06 PM
« Reply #5657 on: October 28, 2021, 06:41:51 PM »

So is I-86 from the state line to I-81 now officially I-86 the whole length?  I was getting mixed signals today taking I-86 on the way out to Michigan.  I saw some plain I-86 signs, a TO I-86 sign near Vestal, and some only NY 17 signs randomly between Vestal and Waverly.

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #5658 on: October 28, 2021, 08:40:31 PM »

So is I-86 from the state line to I-81 now officially I-86 the whole length?  I was getting mixed signals today taking I-86 on the way out to Michigan.  I saw some plain I-86 signs, a TO I-86 sign near Vestal, and some only NY 17 signs randomly between Vestal and Waverly.
No.  It's officially I-86 between I-90 and US 220 and I-81 though NY 79.  There's still one project that needs to happen just west of Binghamton before we can have a Grand Unified I-86 (presuming nothing gets designated as a result of the current widening effort before that gets done).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 03:38:04 PM
« Reply #5659 on: October 29, 2021, 08:41:44 AM »

No.  It's officially I-86 between I-90 and US 220 and I-81 though NY 79.  There's still one project that needs to happen just west of Binghamton before we can have a Grand Unified I-86 (presuming nothing gets designated as a result of the current widening effort before that gets done).
If you are referring to the at-grade section east of NY 8, then that is east of Binghampton.
That appears to be the last at-grade section left.

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:55 PM
« Reply #5660 on: October 29, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »

If you are referring to the at-grade section east of NY 8, then that is east of Binghampton.

No, I believe there are still a few minor issues west of Binghamton - no at-grade intersections, but a few things that keep it from being interstate-standard, including substandard shoulder widths.

machias

• Last Login: Today at 09:02:10 AM
« Reply #5661 on: October 29, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »

No, I believe there are still a few minor issues west of Binghamton - no at-grade intersections, but a few things that keep it from being interstate-standard, including substandard shoulder widths.

Interesting, because I'm pretty sure the shoulders along NY 17 anywhere west of I-81 are wider than the shoulders on the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476).

MikeCL

• Last Login: December 06, 2023, 01:10:30 PM
« Reply #5662 on: October 29, 2021, 06:58:23 PM »

I wish MTA would stop the transponder discrimination, but I'll probably start using the Verrazano both ways now every time.
This right here… when in the hell did this start? I’ve had a MD ez pass for over 15 years why do I need to pay the cash rate? If that’s the case why use my ez pass at all?

kalvado

• Last Login: Today at 08:03:25 PM
« Reply #5663 on: October 29, 2021, 08:02:28 PM »

I wish MTA would stop the transponder discrimination, but I'll probably start using the Verrazano both ways now every time.
This right here… when in the hell did this start? I’ve had a MD ez pass for over 15 years why do I need to pay the cash rate? If that’s the case why use my ez pass at all?
Don't you know the answer?
Because you don't vote here, and we need money. EZpass is about convenience as much as it is about rates. With AET you would pay cash rate + overhead anyway.

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 08:21:22 PM
« Reply #5664 on: October 29, 2021, 08:37:33 PM »

The I-390 reconstruction south of the Thruway is also taking forever. Northbound is finally wrapping up, but southbound hasn't been touched, so it's on track to be a two-year project.
I-88 sees your two years and deems you a promising amateur.

:-D

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #5665 on: October 29, 2021, 10:33:09 PM »

There are lots of little things that keep the rest of NY 17 from being I-86 - not just at-grades.  West of I-81, there's still one more project left.  There's been speculation on what that could be on the I-86 thread, but it is known to be somewhere in the vicinity of exit 68.  East of I-81, it's a lot of those little things (shoulder width, acceleration/deceleration lanes, interchange geometry, sight distance, etc.) that keep the upgrade from happening.  That's why I mentioned the widening study - if I widening project were to result from that, a good chunk of the remaining work would get done (at the very least Middletown-Harriman, possibly Monticello-Harriman), and if that happened before the remaining project west of Binghamton (which doesn't appear to have any momentum, unlike the widening study), we could have a third section of I-86 designated.  There are even covered signs around Middletown, the paperwork just wasn't submitted to sign it for whatever reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:09 PM
« Reply #5666 on: October 29, 2021, 10:37:09 PM »

There are lots of little things that keep the rest of NY 17 from being I-86 - not just at-grades.  West of I-81, there's still one more project left.  There's been speculation on what that could be on the I-86 thread, but it is known to be somewhere in the vicinity of exit 68.  East of I-81, it's a lot of those little things (shoulder width, acceleration/deceleration lanes, interchange geometry, sight distance, etc.) that keep the upgrade from happening.  That's why I mentioned the widening study - if I widening project were to result from that, a good chunk of the remaining work would get done (at the very least Middletown-Harriman, possibly Monticello-Harriman), and if that happened before the remaining project west of Binghamton (which doesn't appear to have any momentum, unlike the widening study), we could have a third section of I-86 designated.  There are even covered signs around Middletown, the paperwork just wasn't submitted to sign it for whatever reason.
No need to speculate.  A long time ago, I posted the remaining projects for I-86 somewhere on here. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #5667 on: October 29, 2021, 11:08:35 PM »

No need to speculate.  A long time ago, I posted the remaining projects for I-86 somewhere on here. :D
I believe the description of that one was "Upgrade of deficient features between Tioga County and the Binghamton city line".

MikeCL

« Reply #5668 on: October 30, 2021, 12:55:13 PM »

Because you don't vote here, and we need money. EZpass is about convenience as much as it is about rates. With AET you would pay cash rate + overhead anyway.
Well that also is a factor in it but how can they keep saying it’s faster when pretty much most states don’t have toll booths as well. I understand some may forget or never get the toll by mail but I guess any extra money no matter the means is extra income.

lstone19

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 04:43:34 PM
« Reply #5669 on: October 30, 2021, 03:06:09 PM »

Well that also is a factor in it but how can they keep saying it’s faster when pretty much most states don’t have toll booths as well. I understand some may forget or never get the toll by mail but I guess any extra money no matter the means is extra income.

But IMHO, it's a broken promise. It was originally billed as an EZ-Pass is an EZ-Pass and you just needed one. But quickly morphed into not all EZ-Passes are the same and where yours was issued affects what you pay. I would not be surprised if some people get multiple ones so they can get the various state discounts and change them as they move from one state to another. At least Illinois, where I live, extends the EZ/I-Pass rate to all EZ-Passes but it's the exception these days.

storm2k

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 01:57:58 PM
« Reply #5670 on: October 30, 2021, 05:21:59 PM »

But IMHO, it's a broken promise. It was originally billed as an EZ-Pass is an EZ-Pass and you just needed one. But quickly morphed into not all EZ-Passes are the same and where yours was issued affects what you pay. I would not be surprised if some people get multiple ones so they can get the various state discounts and change them as they move from one state to another. At least Illinois, where I live, extends the EZ/I-Pass rate to all EZ-Passes but it's the exception these days.

Which will likely change the next time ISTHA needs more revenue for capital projects or there's a severe shortfall for operations. It did last for quite a while that you paid the discounted EZPass rate wherever you went. That mostly went out the window when agencies started moving to cashless tolling options, because I think the original idea baked into the discount is "we pay for fewer toll takers since fewer lanes are manned". I do also find it annoying, but that is the way of the world and there's little anyone can do about it. I fully expect that the next phase will be for state residency requirements for transponder service centers, so you'll suddenly have a lot of NJ residents who got NYS transponders to get tolling discounts for MTABT tolls and the like (since PANYNJ doesn't have any transponder discrimination, and even if they started that, given the bi-state nature of the agency, I imagine they'd include both NJCSC and the various NY agencies that issue transponders to continue to get discounted rate) be stuck having to pay the full tolls because they're not NYS residents.

MikeCL

« Reply #5671 on: October 30, 2021, 05:25:03 PM »

Which will likely change the next time ISTHA needs more revenue for capital projects or there's a severe shortfall for operations. It did last for quite a while that you paid the discounted EZPass rate wherever you went. That mostly went out the window when agencies started moving to cashless tolling options, because I think the original idea baked into the discount is "we pay for fewer toll takers since fewer lanes are manned". I do also find it annoying, but that is the way of the world and there's little anyone can do about it. I fully expect that the next phase will be for state residency requirements for transponder service centers, so you'll suddenly have a lot of NJ residents who got NYS transponders to get tolling discounts for MTABT tolls and the like (since PANYNJ doesn't have any transponder discrimination, and even if they started that, given the bi-state nature of the agency, I imagine they'd include both NJCSC and the various NY agencies that issue transponders to continue to get discounted rate) be stuck having to pay the full tolls because they're not NYS residents.
I got my Maryland one away back when they did not charge service fees (they do now) I did have a MTA toll tag but I can’t find it plus I used to live in NJ so the replenish amount was almost around $300 I ended up paying in cash or getting billed by plate.

mrsman

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:51:21 PM
« Reply #5672 on: November 04, 2021, 06:58:24 PM »

I got my Maryland one away back when they did not charge service fees (they do now) I did have a MTA toll tag but I can’t find it plus I used to live in NJ so the replenish amount was almost around $300 I ended up paying in cash or getting billed by plate.

When I first moved to Maryland, I also had a MD pass.  I also dropped it when they started imposing the monthly fee.  I was able to get a MTA tag, which doesn't charge a monthly fee.  [That is usually hard to get as an out-of-state resident, since they try to push the PANYNJ tags which do charge a monthly fee.  I was able to get one by using  my sister's NY address and then later changing it to my billing address.]

Once Larry Hogan became governor of MD, he put in place several motorist friendly provisions like reducing tolls and ending the monthly fee on EZ-Pass by executive order.  Even though MD's EZ-Pass is now free of the monthly fee, I decided to keep my MTA pass, since it is easy for a new governor to simply re-impose the fee in MD, but in NY the fee cannot be imposed without new legislation.  I do take advantage of the lower fees with a NY EZ-Pass when I am in the NY area, but I have to pay the out-of-state rates when crossing the toll bridges in MD.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-items/e-zpass-everyone

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 03:38:04 PM
« Reply #5673 on: November 05, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »

The bridges between Exits 68 and 70 appear to be substandard and lack a shoulder. There is only a guard rail median in the vic. of Exit 69. Perhaps they want to replace it with a concrete barrier. Maybe they also want to close Exit 68? The unnumbered exit on NY 26 reaches the same area as Exit 68.

MikeCL

« Reply #5674 on: November 05, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »

When I first moved to Maryland, I also had a MD pass.  I also dropped it when they started imposing the monthly fee.  I was able to get a MTA tag, which doesn't charge a monthly fee.  [That is usually hard to get as an out-of-state resident, since they try to push the PANYNJ tags which do charge a monthly fee.  I was able to get one by using  my sister's NY address and then later changing it to my billing address.]

Once Larry Hogan became governor of MD, he put in place several motorist friendly provisions like reducing tolls and ending the monthly fee on EZ-Pass by executive order.  Even though MD's EZ-Pass is now free of the monthly fee, I decided to keep my MTA pass, since it is easy for a new governor to simply re-impose the fee in MD, but in NY the fee cannot be imposed without new legislation.  I do take advantage of the lower fees with a NY EZ-Pass when I am in the NY area, but I have to pay the out-of-state rates when crossing the toll bridges in MD.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-items/e-zpass-everyone
Yeah I’m thinking about using my MTA ezpass again since I’m mostly in NJ and NY

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.