Regional Boards > Mid-South

At-grade intersections on Interstates in Texas

<< < (3/35) > >>

Anthony_JK:

--- Quote from: vtk on May 10, 2015, 11:12:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 05, 2015, 04:45:02 PM ---At grade right/left turns & at grade traffic crossing should not be happening on an Interstate highway, especially one with the high speeds I-10 has in West Texas. There are no turn lanes for acceleration or deceleration at those intersections. Traffic has to slow down from going 80mph or faster down to nothing to make any of those turns. From what I've seen via Street View in Google Earth those intersections are poorly signed.

The other danger is the element of surprise to motorists, cruising along at 80mph not expecting any at grade turns with possible crossing or turning traffic. Plenty of drivers are distracted and inattentive. On a very long drive, like the trek between El Paso and San Antonio one can get a little hypnotized by both the length and desolation of the trip. They might not be perfectly ready to have to suddenly hit the breaks for cars ahead slowing to make a right or left turn, or other drivers turning onto the road in front of them.

I think the short stretches of frontage roads for at grade right turns and no crossing traffic across Interstate lanes is a good alternative. It's not going to hurt a rural farmer or oil field work to drive a mile or two down the road to the next bridge to get across to the other side of the highway.

--- End quote ---

What's the traffic like on that part of I-10?  I imagine it's easily a LOS A facility.  If a farm truck slows down to turn off the freeway ahead of you, just change lanes to pass.  You probably won't even have to disengage your cruise control.

--- End quote ---

A 40 mph farm truck negotiating a turn-off on a freeway posted for 75 or 80 mph??? Seriously?? By the time you do disengage your cruise control you're dead.  Unless you have proper warning signals for such turn-offs, better to have frontage roads or back roads for that.

dfwmapper:

--- Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 10, 2015, 10:17:10 PM ---A 40 mph farm truck negotiating a turn-off on a freeway posted for 75 or 80 mph??? Seriously?? By the time you do disengage your cruise control you're dead.  Unless you have proper warning signals for such turn-offs, better to have frontage roads or back roads for that.

--- End quote ---
Maybe pay attention while you're driving. It's not like you're going to go over a hill and randomly come upon turning traffic. All of the areas with direct freeway access are flat as a board. You'll see that truck at least a mile before you get to it and have plenty of time to move over.

Anthony_JK:

--- Quote from: Molandfreak on May 10, 2015, 10:24:15 PM ---What kind of idiot wouldn't pull off and slow down on the shoulder for those turns? Leave them there, no harm in them.

iPhone

--- End quote ---

So...you're saying that through traffic on a freeway designed for 70 mph should cede to the shoulder for turning traffic onto a direct crossover? In that case, it's no longer a freeway. Would you recommend that everywhere for all Interstate-grade freeways to have direct access crossovers? NO.

Molandfreak:

--- Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 10, 2015, 11:58:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Molandfreak on May 10, 2015, 10:24:15 PM ---What kind of idiot wouldn't pull off and slow down on the shoulder for those turns? Leave them there, no harm in them.

iPhone

--- End quote ---

So...you're saying that through traffic on a freeway designed for 70 mph should cede to the shoulder for turning traffic onto a direct crossover? In that case, it's no longer a freeway. Would you recommend that everywhere for all Interstate-grade freeways to have direct access crossovers? NO.

--- End quote ---
I'm taking about traffic on RIROs going into the shoulder to turn. Not other traffic going on the shoulder.

iPhone

Anthony_JK:

--- Quote from: Molandfreak on May 11, 2015, 12:01:00 AM ---

--- Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 10, 2015, 11:58:00 PM ---

iPhone

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I'm taking about traffic on RIROs going into the shoulder to turn. Not other traffic going on the shoulder.

iPhone

--- End quote ---

OK...for RIRO's, that would be acceptable, although I still would prefer a dedicated turning lane rather than using the shoulder, just to free up the mainlaines.

My real issue is with *left-turn* at-grade crossovers used for direct access on otherwise freeway facilities. HELL TO THE NO on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version