Regional Boards > Mid-South

At-grade intersections on Interstates in Texas

<< < (4/34) > >>

Chris:
Like this one near Sierra Blanca. It's not really a deserted stretch of freeway with 18,000 vehicles per day.

wxfree:
The only grade crossings I know of are west of I-20, where traffic counts are significantly higher.  East of I-20 traffic is ridiculously light, reaching as low as 3,800.  This is a predictable outcome, since west of the junction the road serves as the route for two combined highways.  I do wonder about why they put the grade crossings there instead of between I-20 and Junction.

vtk:
Yes but what was the projected traffic count for 20 years in the future when the highway was designed 50+ years ago? Some people on the forum seem to imagine those at-grade crossings were approved and built yesterday. Are they problematic today? Probably not, or there would be a whole thread here about the constant accidents. They certainly weren't problematic within a couple decades of the highway's construction.

Bringing the thread back on topic, I suspect traffic counts on the roads that will become I-69 are already high enough that at-grade crossings would be too conspicuous a deficiency.

wxfree:
Traffic counts in Kenedy County are 9,000 to 10,000, significantly less than where these crossings are.  I doubt if Interstating the road will increase that, since it's already the only viable connection.

I'm not opposed to the crossings, if they're rare exceptions.  On I-10 I think they're all, or almost all, for private drives, so it's only the few people who use those drives who use the crossings.  I did once make a hard right turn onto the frontage road, just for the novelty (there was an exit to where I wanted to go).  I've never turned left or gone straight across one.  Since there aren't a lot of them, and (I think) they're only for private drives (I need to inventory all of them), and they're in a pretty desolate area, it doesn't bother me.  The same argument could be made in Kenedy County, where there are no public roads for nearly 50 miles (more than twice the distance between roads on I-10).

If there are going to be grade crossings on I-10, I'd rather see them east of I-20.  To the west, the road is by no means busy, but to the east, it's desolate.  Some of the money spent on frontage roads and overpasses could have been shifted west.

O Tamandua:

--- Quote from: wxfree on May 11, 2015, 10:55:58 PM ---Traffic counts in Kenedy County are 9,000 to 10,000, significantly less than where these crossings are.  I doubt if Interstating the road will increase that, since it's already the only viable connection.

I'm not opposed to the crossings, if they're rare exceptions.  On I-10 I think they're all, or almost all, for private drives, so it's only the few people who use those drives who use the crossings.  I did once make a hard right turn onto the frontage road, just for the novelty (there was an exit to where I wanted to go).  I've never turned left or gone straight across one.  Since there aren't a lot of them, and (I think) they're only for private drives (I need to inventory all of them), and they're in a pretty desolate area, it doesn't bother me.  The same argument could be made in Kenedy County, where there are no public roads for nearly 50 miles (more than twice the distance between roads on I-10).

If there are going to be grade crossings on I-10, I'd rather see them east of I-20.  To the west, the road is by no means busy, but to the east, it's desolate.  Some of the money spent on frontage roads and overpasses could have been shifted west.

--- End quote ---

I will probably get laughed at for this and maybe rightly so, but, wondering out loud...

One major difference I would see between I-10 and (future) I-69E through Kenedy County is that the latter (unless things have changed) must be a HUGE route for "spring breakers" down to South Padre Island.  I've been to Big Bend National park south of I-10 and it's pretty cool...but my gut feeling is that I-10, while carrying much interstate traffic, also carries a lot of West Texas traffic which more than likely would expect or at least be more used to ranches and their occasional need for an Interstate grade crossing, and that there will be far less kids from D/FW, Houston and beyond going to Big Bend, Fort Stockton, Ozona and Eldorado than will be going to Harlingen, Brownsville and the powdery beaches to the east.

JMO, but I-69 in Kenedy would have to see, at times, a LOT of kids driving down who've never seen a real live ranch before, and could probably care less as they're likely driving like bats out of you-know-where trying to get to a place of sun, booze and the opposite sex in bathing suits.  Again, I'm just wondering, but my gut feeling is that there is a potential for more and very, deadly serious accidents among the crowd who still think they're 10 feet tall and bulletproof, hence the possible perceived need for a different type of protection on this route.

Laugh for the day.  :sombrero:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version