Regional Boards > Southeast

It's time to revive the northern half of I-840

<< < (2/21) > >>

iBallasticwolf2:

--- Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 21, 2015, 09:42:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: I-39 on July 21, 2015, 09:18:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 21, 2015, 08:49:19 PM ---Awesome that I-840 is approved. Will it get signed anytime soon?

I had an idea for funding in that the two Cumberland River Bridges could be tolled both ways to support maintenance similar to the infamous 8$ toll on the Susquehanna River I-95 bridge.

As a side note I could see the TN-386 freeway connected to the new I-840 freeway as part of the project.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure about when exactly I-840 will be signed. AASHTO approved it on May 15th, but the FHWA still has to approve it.

I am not a fan of tolling, but it may have to be considered here.

--- End quote ---

The I-95 bridge is a toll not for the bridge, but for the entire section of 95 from 695 to Delaware, as that is the JFK Memorial Highway, which is basically the MD turnpike.

--- End quote ---

The point is is that the toll for the road which is collected from the bridge supports the entire roadway. The I-840 north loop would have the two bridges be the toll collectors that support the entire freeway.

froggie:
Current federal law would allow for Tennessee to toll all of a northern I-840 instead of just tolls on the bridges.  I would think this would be the preferred method.

That said, I disagree with the OP in this being a priority.  At best, it would only help a few long-distance drivers utilizing I-24 West or I-65 North.  Where the need/demand is in Nashville is closer to the core.

iBallasticwolf2:
How about upgrading Briley Parkway to a freeway from I-40 to I-24. It already has interchanges.

froggie:
Briley already is a freeway north of I-40 on both sides.  If you're referring to the segment near the airport, I believe there are some improvements proposed but I don't think it would result in a full freeway.  As it is, about a dozen years ago TDOT removed a couple of the loops at the 24/Briley interchange because of weaving concerns, making it a 6-ramp par-clo instead.

iBallasticwolf2:

--- Quote from: froggie on July 22, 2015, 10:02:49 AM ---Briley already is a freeway north of I-40 on both sides.  If you're referring to the segment near the airport, I believe there are some improvements proposed but I don't think it would result in a full freeway.  As it is, about a dozen years ago TDOT removed a couple of the loops at the 24/Briley interchange because of weaving concerns, making it a 6-ramp par-clo instead.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I was referrencing the part near the Airport. I could see some improvments at the I-24/Briley Interchange.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version