Regional Boards > Northeast

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

<< < (271/272) > >>

CtrlAltDel:

--- Quote from: bob7374 on September 24, 2021, 11:52:32 PM ---With the Exit Renumbering Project completed, I've summarized my views on both the good and the not so good aspects of the project on the Gribblenation Blog Site:
https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/09/massachusetts-exit-renumbering-good-bad.html

--- End quote ---
They really half-assed that conversion, didn't they?

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 25, 2021, 12:56:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: bob7374 on September 24, 2021, 11:52:32 PM ---With the Exit Renumbering Project completed, I've summarized my views on both the good and the not so good aspects of the project on the Gribblenation Blog Site:
https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/09/massachusetts-exit-renumbering-good-bad.html

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I think the tiny ass numbers are a bigger issue than the oversized ones, despite both not being aesthetically pleasing. Like even zooming into this image (from the linked blog post), I still can't make out what number it is:

machias:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

From what I've seen in photos on forums and the like, 98 to 99% of the signs were converted to new exit numbers without an issue. There's some outliers here and there, and yes, these could have been addressed from the onset, but getting 98 to 99% of the project completed without an issue is not "half-assed".  The vast majority of the signs are legible without an issue, even if differences in numeral style or something makes it obvious it was an overlay. It works, and that's what's important.

Now, that other 1% of signs, like the attractions sign show above? Not only is the contractor off base on the installation, but did the inspector sign off on it?

CtrlAltDel:

--- Quote from: machias on September 26, 2021, 12:13:34 AM ---The vast majority of the signs are legible without an issue, even if differences in numeral style or something makes it obvious it was an overlay.

--- End quote ---

Fair enough, but that's pretty much what I mean by half-assed: it could be worse, but it could be better, too.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: machias on September 26, 2021, 12:13:34 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

From what I've seen in photos on forums and the like, 98 to 99% of the signs were converted to new exit numbers without an issue. There's some outliers here and there, and yes, these could have been addressed from the onset, but getting 98 to 99% of the project completed without an issue is not "half-assed".  The vast majority of the signs are legible without an issue, even if differences in numeral style or something makes it obvious it was an overlay. It works, and that's what's important.

Now, that other 1% of signs, like the attractions sign show above? Not only is the contractor off base on the installation, but did the inspector sign off on it?

--- End quote ---
If the difference in numerals makes it obvious that it's an overlay, I'd call that half-assed, even if it works.  I can understand where using regular numerals would have required a sign replacement, but there are plenty of examples where the sign was specifically designed to accommodate a larger exit number in preparation for the conversion but narrow numerals were used anyways.  This is particularly prevalent on gore signs for the MassPike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version