Regional Boards > Central States

Oklahoma Highways | Small projects and construction

<< < (3/32) > >>

Baloo Uriza:

--- Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on September 09, 2016, 02:32:54 AM ---How about DRIVE RIGHT (OVERTAKE) PASS LEFT?

XT1585

--- End quote ---

Well, out of the four wordings suggested, I seem to recall only one is in the SHS.

Bobby5280:

--- Quote ---Why not "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS"?
--- End quote ---

That phrase doesn't speak as directly to thick-headed drivers who insist on driving slow in the left lane. Those new designs have a sternly worded tone, particularly with the "state law" header applied to them.

Some of the rolling road block morons out there don't realize they can get a ticket for driving slow in the left lane and blocking passing traffic on Oklahoma's Interstates and turnpikes. Those new designs should remove any of the "I didn't know" excuses when they get stopped by OHP.

Baloo Uriza:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 09, 2016, 12:56:02 PM ---
--- End quote ---

That phrase doesn't speak as directly to thick-headed drivers who insist on driving slow in the left lane. Those new designs have a sternly worded tone, particularly with the "state law" header applied to them.

Some of the rolling road block morons out there don't realize they can get a ticket for driving slow in the left lane and blocking passing traffic on Oklahoma's Interstates and turnpikes. Those new designs should remove any of the "I didn't know" excuses when they get stopped by OHP.

--- End quote ---

Oregon uses those wordings in the western half of the state. It doesn't work.  Oregon uses the "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" in the mountains, 3-lane highways, and east of the cascades.  It's unambiguous as to what the expectation is.

Kind of like how places are phasing out yellow "SHARE THE ROAD" signs in favor of white "BICYCLES MAY USE FULL LANE, CHANGE LANES TO PASS" signs.  Both signs mean the same thing, and are completely superfluous under the law...

compdude787:

--- Quote from: Baloo Uriza on September 10, 2016, 02:50:14 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Oregon uses those wordings in the western half of the state. It doesn't work.  Oregon uses the "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" in the mountains, 3-lane highways, and east of the cascades.  It's unambiguous as to what the expectation is.

--- End quote ---

I would think that simply adding the words "STATE LAW" atop a "Keep Right Except to Pass" would give that sign more teeth.

Baloo Uriza:

--- Quote from: compdude787 on September 21, 2016, 07:28:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: Baloo Uriza on September 10, 2016, 02:50:14 AM ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I would think that simply adding the words "STATE LAW" atop a "Keep Right Except to Pass" would give that sign more teeth.

--- End quote ---

I'd say a want for self-preservation generally does that.  Where this usually comes up in Oregon is on three-lane highways, especially where the downhill lane may use the oncoming left uphill lane as a passing lane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version