Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

<< < (3/27) > >>

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: epzik8 on November 23, 2016, 11:22:45 AM ---So does this mean the tunnel portions will no longer be a two-way single bore? There will be two bores with one for each direction?

--- End quote ---

Just one tunnel will have a dual tunnel (or, as mentioned above, a 4 lane tunnel).  The other will still be a single bore.

cpzilliacus:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2016, 12:15:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: epzik8 on November 23, 2016, 11:22:45 AM ---So does this mean the tunnel portions will no longer be a two-way single bore? There will be two bores with one for each direction?

--- End quote ---

Just one tunnel will have a dual tunnel (or, as mentioned above, a 4 lane tunnel).  The other will still be a single bore.

--- End quote ---

That's not what the CBBTD Web site says (here), though it had been discussed in the past as a possible total replacement for the existing 1960's tunnel; as well as making the tunnel four lanes wide instead of two lanes.

--- Quote ---The Parallel Thimble Shoal Tunnel Project will construct a new two-lane tunnel under Thimble Shoal Channel.  When complete, the new tunnel will carry two lanes of traffic southbound and the existing tunnel will carry two lanes of traffic northbound.
--- End quote ---

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 23, 2016, 01:29:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 23, 2016, 12:15:38 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That's not what the CBBTD Web site says (here), though it had been discussed in the past as a possible total replacement for the existing 1960's tunnel; as well as making the tunnel four lanes wide instead of two lanes.

--- Quote ---The Parallel Thimble Shoal Tunnel Project will construct a new two-lane tunnel under Thimble Shoal Channel.  When complete, the new tunnel will carry two lanes of traffic southbound and the existing tunnel will carry two lanes of traffic northbound.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I was going based on what Froggie said a few posts above, which if correct simply means the website hasn't been updated yet.

froggie:
Website's correct...I was in error and was alluding to an earlier proposal for a new tunnel.  Guessing a 4-lane replacement was dropped due to cost.

cpzilliacus:

--- Quote from: froggie on November 23, 2016, 08:04:38 PM ---Website's correct...I was in error and was alluding to an earlier proposal for a new tunnel.  Guessing a 4-lane replacement was dropped due to cost.

--- End quote ---

I think it might have been discussed in the JLARC audit and study of the CBBTD and CBBT which was done in the early 2000's and  is available online here (.pdf, 3 MB).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version