News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 55/ Crump Boulevard Interchange

Started by Grzrd, May 26, 2017, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: ran4sh on June 05, 2021, 03:07:49 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2021, 02:01:26 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 05, 2021, 01:56:13 PM
Does the traffic actually warrant another lane?  Seems like there really isn't anything wrong with the interchange.
You CLEARLY have never driven through the area, and it shows.

Or simply believe that the congestion is acceptable.

Or is just an extremist who believes in not building any new roads or any new lanes for existing roads.
It's merely trolling, it's obvious.

Avalanchez71

I have certainly driven over the M/A bridge.  I am merely stating that the situation has been ongoing for years and I am not sure if it needs a change.  Not every road needs to be fully controlled access from point A to point B. 

bwana39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 05, 2021, 08:21:27 PM
Not every road needs to be fully controlled access from point A to point B.

I agree with you BUT this one is and has been a problem.

I question the need for some of the rural segments of US-59 north of Cleveland needing to be Controlled access. The small town bypasses are badly needed.  Likewise for US-287 east of Amarillo. Much of the port-to-plains south of Lubbock (and north of Amarillo). There are numerous others in Texas and out of it.

On the other hand, The Crump interchange is a relic from the early sixties. It might be better if there were a traffic signal there instead of the mess that is there. It was designed for US-61  through traffic to be secondary. The intent at the time was for I-55 to continue north there and cross at the Hernando Desoto Bridge.  The connecting freeway along the riverside was never completed (and probably a good thing ).  Even if this intersection were "good enough" (it isn't), the condition of the elements is such that it needs replacing regardless. 

The traffic patterns in Memphis are such that this routing is a heavier traffic routing than the new bridge. For a casual driver, it might be unexceptional. For someone who drives this route regularly or driver a TT Combo, it is entirely unacceptable and needs to be done!

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

I-39

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 04, 2021, 11:41:01 PM
Quote from: I-39 on June 04, 2021, 10:27:51 PM
I-69 is a complete waste even between Indianapolis and Memphis
Disagree, and given INDOT, KYTC, and TDOT all have invested into the corridor and have virtually completed the vast majority of it, they disagree as well.

Just because they built it doesn't mean it necessary. It reeks of pork barrel spending. The extension is very redundant to the I-70 > I-57 corridor (which will be cheaper and easier to extend to Little Rock than building I-69 in TN).

sprjus4

Quote from: I-39 on June 05, 2021, 11:36:24 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 04, 2021, 11:41:01 PM
Quote from: I-39 on June 04, 2021, 10:27:51 PM
I-69 is a complete waste even between Indianapolis and Memphis
Disagree, and given INDOT, KYTC, and TDOT all have invested into the corridor and have virtually completed the vast majority of it, they disagree as well.

Just because they built it doesn't mean it necessary. It reeks of pork barrel spending. The extension is very redundant to the I-70 > I-57 corridor (which will be cheaper and easier to extend to Little Rock than building I-69 in TN).
No different in the I-57 extension being "redundant"  to I-55 and I-40.

Having a redundant corridor to 2 busy interstate highways is not a bad thing. I fully support the completion of both I-57 and I-69 for these reasons. It will take pressure off of the current main routes.

Both routes certainly have more importance, particularly on the national level, than "I-39" .

Revive 755

May have found an EIS for the Riverside facility:  https://hdl.handle.net/2027/ien.35556030804082

The map on Page 43 of 154 also shows what appears to be a higher type facility almost reaching the Crump Boulevard Interchange from the east.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ITB on June 06, 2021, 03:56:06 PM
On April 27, 2021, TDOT released its proposed Comprehensive Multimodal Program for FY 2022—2024. That document can be found here. There are no I-69 projects listed.
ITB made this post over on the I-69 in TN thread.

Quickly reading thru the projects, the I-55/Crump interchange IS listed, for 2022

The document is dated April 27, 2021 - I think that was before the I-40 Bridge closure

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: ran4sh on June 05, 2021, 03:07:49 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on June 05, 2021, 02:01:26 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 05, 2021, 01:56:13 PM
Does the traffic actually warrant another lane?  Seems like there really isn't anything wrong with the interchange.
You CLEARLY have never driven through the area, and it shows.

Or simply believe that the congestion is acceptable.

Or is just an extremist who believes in not building any new roads or any new lanes for existing roads.
Or is just a troll who people here keep feeding.

Tom958

froggie

In true form for Google-scanned docs, though, the maps in that EIS do not properly show the proposed alignment.

However, the aforementioned Crème de Memph blog has a piece discussing Mud Island which also includes maps of the 1971 Location and Design Report for the Riverside Expressway between 55/Crump and I-40.

bwana39

They are supposed to be adding an additional ramp lane temporarily to alleviate some of the EB (SB ) backup

Avalanchez71

Will it be a temporary increase of lanes or will it remain?

I-55

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 12, 2021, 02:21:01 PM
Will it be a temporary increase of lanes or will it remain?

It will likely remain until a complete rebuild of the interchange.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Plutonic Panda

Is there any update when the complete rebuild will get underway? I really feel like this and Lamar Ave are the reason for the bad perception through travelers have of Memphis.

edwaleni

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 27, 2021, 10:56:17 AM
Is there any update when the complete rebuild will get underway? I really feel like this and Lamar Ave are the reason for the bad perception through travelers have of Memphis.

Years ago my kids saw us taking the circle exit on NB I-55 to get on the A-M bridge and said "what kind of town is this?"

It wasn't until we crossed the Cairo bridge the following week did that impression die.

cbalducc

Why not reroute I-55 in Memphis along I-240 north to the I-40 interchange east of downtown then west across the Hernando Desoto bridge? 

bwana39

Quote from: cbalducc on January 08, 2022, 01:28:49 PM
Why not reroute I-55 in Memphis along I-240 north to the I-40 interchange east of downtown then west across the Hernandez Desoto bridge?

They could do that, but there are still capacity issues.  I-240 (I-69) is not bereft of traffic itself. The Hernando Desoto bridge is at or near its capacity as it is. While it seems like an easy way to solve this problem, The HDB is no better choice to handle all of the traffic across the river than the older Arkansas and Tennessee bridge was this past fall.

Even if they rerouted the numbers, the traffic would still follow the route of their choice.

webny99

I'm not too familiar with Memphis, so out of curiosity what are the issues with Lamar Ave?

sprjus4

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2022, 05:16:07 PM

I'm not too familiar with Memphis, so out of curiosity what are the issues with Lamar Ave?
An arterial 4-6 lane roadway that carries traffic towards the southeast from Memphis / I-240 towards I-22 in Mississippi, that is heavily congested and carries interstate volumes of traffic, including high truck percentages.

US-78 immediately becomes a 70 mph freeway upon entering Mississippi.

Tom958

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 08, 2022, 06:24:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2022, 05:16:07 PMI'm not too familiar with Memphis, so out of curiosity what are the issues with Lamar Ave?
An arterial 4-6 lane roadway that carries traffic towards the southeast from Memphis / I-240 towards I-22 in Mississippi, that is heavily congested and carries interstate volumes of traffic, including high truck percentages.

That and the fact that it'd be really nice if I-22 ended at a logical junction with Memphis' freeway system instead of at the state line. I find it rather astonishing that the authorities didn't connect I-22 to TN 385-Nonconnah Parkway instead of doing what they did.

bwana39

Quote from: Tom958 on January 08, 2022, 06:51:23 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 08, 2022, 06:24:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2022, 05:16:07 PMI'm not too familiar with Memphis, so out of curiosity what are the issues with Lamar Ave?

That and the fact that it'd be really nice if I-22 ended at a logical junction with Memphis' freeway system instead of at the state line. I find it rather astonishing that the authorities didn't connect I-22 to TN 385-Nonconnah Parkway instead of doing what they did.

I-22 actually does stop there. The US-78 freeway continues onward. IIRC, US-78 was freeway to the state line BEFORE  TN-385 / I-269 was built.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2022, 05:16:07 PM

It is lined with DCs and converting it to interstate standard would be an all out mess. The only real.way would be by building it as a viaduct at extreme costs. The cost acquiring right of way would astronomical the other way as well.

cbalducc

[quote author=bwana39 link=topic=20377.msg2696191#msg2696191 date=1641678126

They could do that, but there are still capacity issues.  I-240 (I-69) is not bereft of traffic itself. The Hernando Desoto bridge is at or near its capacity as it is. While it seems like an easy way to solve this problem, The HDB is no better choice to handle all of the traffic across the river than the older Arkansas and Tennessee bridge was this past fall.

Even if they rerouted the numbers, the traffic would still follow the route of their choice.
[/quote]

I just don't see how a new interchange and bridge can be constructed without destroying the French Fort neighborhood.  That subdivision was built in the 1960s and was the first one open to blacks.
http://cremedememph.blogspot.com/2015/10/french-fort.html

There are nearby industries that might have to be torn down, followed by a costly removal of toxic materials.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cbalducc on January 09, 2022, 02:12:58 PM
I just don't see how a new interchange and bridge can be constructed without destroying the French Fort neighborhood.  That subdivision was built in the 1960s and was the first one open to open to blacks.

I don't know about the bridge, but the plan for the interchange was this:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

MikieTimT

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 09, 2022, 03:20:31 PM
Quote from: cbalducc on January 09, 2022, 02:12:58 PM
I just don't see how a new interchange and bridge can be constructed without destroying the French Fort neighborhood.  That subdivision was built in the 1960s and was the first one open to open to blacks.

I don't know about the bridge, but the plan for the interchange was this:

And this doesn't destroy French Fort, nor necessitate changes to the old bridge, although it could certainly use a refresh/replace regardless.  As usual, it comes down to money/priorities.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.