Meta > Suggestions and Questions

Limitations on image width

(1/2) > >>

J N Winkler:
I am writing to ask if there is a policy or guideline limiting the width (in pixels) of images posted to the forum.

I noticed recently that one of my posts had been edited, with no apparent change to the text, and when I went into the edit window to see what changes had actually been made, I saw that width=800 tags had been added to a number of images with actual pixel widths of 942, 827, 893, and 788.  In this case, the images involved were all sign illustrations drawn and rasterized to a consistent scale, and the imposition of a uniform image width of 800 means that each image is now displayed at a different scale while viewers of the thread still have to consume the same bandwidth to load the images.  (Image width directives in tags do not allow browsers to forgo a full load of each image.)

I don't propose to undo these edits, but it would be helpful to have a certain image width above which images are considered fair game for insertion of width directives.  This would enable the images to be resampled to come down below this threshold, and so would save bandwidth and moderator effort.

froggie:
I'm pretty sure they've stated a policy/guideline of no wider than 800 pixels.

rickmastfan67:
You are correct Froggie.  The width limit is indeed 800 pixels.

J N Winkler:
Thanks for this.  I did try to look up the pixel width/height limits (since this is a classic example of a RTFM question) but was not able to find a "Posting guidelines" page linked from the forum front page.  A Google search for {AARoads forum posting guidelines} did turn up this, which I suggest would profit from greater prominence.

rawmustard:

--- Quote from: J N Winkler on December 02, 2009, 10:52:56 AM ---Thanks for this.  I did try to look up the pixel width/height limits (since this is a classic example of a RTFM question) but was not able to find a "Posting guidelines" page linked from the forum front page.  A Google search for {AARoads forum posting guidelines} did turn up this, which I suggest would profit from greater prominence.

--- End quote ---

It's a sticky within the "Welcome!" forum (same forum as this thread), although I agree it would be better if that thread were linked from the front page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version