Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

West Virginia (excuding Eastern Panhandle)

<< < (29/31) > >>

hbelkins:
So, WVDOT fabricates and installs their own panel signs? Kentucky uses contractors. (And probably would have set new posts instead of reusing the old ones.)

And it looks like West Virginia didn't go back to Clearview like Kentucky did when the IA got reinstated.


--- Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 31, 2021, 09:32:24 PM ---So I was coming back from Pittsburgh  to hickory yesterday, saw the US 52 work.  Where will the new endpoint be.  Will 52 be rerouted as to connect North of Bluefield.  Are their even the earliest inkling of the current work being extended.  I saw that the old graded ramps at 460 have asphalt paving and new lighting fixtures  are installed.

--- End quote ---

The work extends to WV 123 over on the other side of two ridgelines. I was up there a few weeks ago and it looks like some of the grade will extend beyond the bridge crossing WV 123, but I saw no signs (yet) of an access road being built between US 52 and US 123.

I have some photos on my Flickr page.

I'm not sure if US 52 will remain on its current alignment (short concurrency with US 460, then along Cumberland Road, and then turning down into downtown Bluefield, then a short wrong-way concurrency with US 19) with the new alignment getting some temporary state or county designation, or if US 52 will be routed over the new alignment and then concurrent with WV 123 to the existing US 52 intersection northwest of Bluefield.

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on July 31, 2021, 09:41:06 PM ---So, WVDOT fabricates and installs their own panel signs? Kentucky uses contractors. (And probably would have set new posts instead of reusing the old ones.)

And it looks like West Virginia didn't go back to Clearview like Kentucky did when the IA got reinstated.

--- End quote ---

WVDOH handles one-off replacements in-house. Large-scale projects, like the miles-long signage replacements on the Interstates and ARC corridors, are contracted out.

WV only went to Clearview on contractor-done signage. In-house production was always FHWA alphabet. WV has stayed with FHWA, even with contractor-installed signage, following reinstatement of Clearview.


--- Quote from: hbelkins on July 31, 2021, 09:41:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 31, 2021, 09:32:24 PM ---So I was coming back from Pittsburgh  to hickory yesterday, saw the US 52 work.  Where will the new endpoint be.  Will 52 be rerouted as to connect North of Bluefield.  Are their even the earliest inkling of the current work being extended.  I saw that the old graded ramps at 460 have asphalt paving and new lighting fixtures  are installed.

--- End quote ---

The work extends to WV 123 over on the other side of two ridgelines. I was up there a few weeks ago and it looks like some of the grade will extend beyond the bridge crossing WV 123, but I saw no signs (yet) of an access road being built between US 52 and US 123.

I have some photos on my Flickr page.

I'm not sure if US 52 will remain on its current alignment (short concurrency with US 460, then along Cumberland Road, and then turning down into downtown Bluefield, then a short wrong-way concurrency with US 19) with the new alignment getting some temporary state or county designation, or if US 52 will be routed over the new alignment and then concurrent with WV 123 to the existing US 52 intersection northwest of Bluefield.

--- End quote ---

I think the plan is to re-route US 52 along WV 123 once this is complete.

SP Cook:
WV Turnpike tolls will go up to a whopping $4.25/ per booth, with the annual pass going from $25 to $26.50, January 1st. 

Law allows a 5% increase every 3 years.

hbelkins:
So, was the prediction that the new portion of US 52 near Bluefield would be open by this time accurate, or was it (as I expected) full of beans?

Bitmapped:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on November 22, 2021, 10:29:24 AM ---So, was the prediction that the new portion of US 52 near Bluefield would be open by this time accurate, or was it (as I expected) full of beans?

--- End quote ---

I've not seen any announcements of ribbon-cuttings, or really any discussion period. My guess is it's still a ways off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version