Regional Boards > Northwest

Idaho

<< < (6/6)

wanderer2575:

--- Quote from: US 89 on May 05, 2020, 07:32:44 PM ---Apparently Idaho has a new state highway shield design, which they're using on both BGSs and standalone shields. Looks like it's been the new standard since Idaho updated their state MUTCD supplement in 2016.

(photo from corcohighways)

Compare to the old BGS design:

And the old standalone design:

So essentially, they've inverted the colors and removed the state name, producing a shield that I think looks disgusting especially on a BGS. The numbers look like they're floating away. Maybe a border would help somewhat in that regard, but I still think this was a major step in the wrong direction for a state that has generally produced quite good signage overall.

--- End quote ---

I'd be more peeved that the route number has to be condensed to squeeze into the upper right corner of the shield.  I have a similar beef about Michigan and North Carolina's diamond shields.  How about a shield design where one can actually read the damn route number while zipping along the highway?  Maine and West Virginia's squares and rectangles may be boring, but you can easily read their route numbers.

Quillz:

--- Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 12, 2021, 09:55:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: US 89 on May 05, 2020, 07:32:44 PM ---Apparently Idaho has a new state highway shield design, which they're using on both BGSs and standalone shields. Looks like it's been the new standard since Idaho updated their state MUTCD supplement in 2016.

(photo from corcohighways)

Compare to the old BGS design:

And the old standalone design:

So essentially, they've inverted the colors and removed the state name, producing a shield that I think looks disgusting especially on a BGS. The numbers look like they're floating away. Maybe a border would help somewhat in that regard, but I still think this was a major step in the wrong direction for a state that has generally produced quite good signage overall.

--- End quote ---

I'd be more peeved that the route number has to be condensed to squeeze into the upper right corner of the shield.  I have a similar beef about Michigan and North Carolina's diamond shields.  How about a shield design where one can actually read the damn route number while zipping along the highway?  Maine and West Virginia's squares and rectangles may be boring, but you can easily read their route numbers.

--- End quote ---
They actually do use wide shields now. According to the documentation, it's always Series C, but you just make the shield wider for three-digit routes. That's an actual improvement over the previous design.

Max Rockatansky:
I recently visited Boise, here is a 10 part series on the trip:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/10/2021-boise-idaho-visit.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version