News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

An idea for a different kind of roads gathering

Started by A.J. Bertin, June 30, 2018, 12:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If I were to host a "city meet" (in either 2018 or 2019) as I'm describing in this thread, where should my first one be held? Pick one of these three choices.

Elizabeth City/Nags Head area, NC
8 (21.6%)
Omaha, NE
14 (37.8%)
Providence, RI
15 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: August 02, 2018, 10:06:23 PM

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 19, 2018, 08:06:39 PM

I'd really like to do this in the fall of '18 (October or November), but there's another meet coming up this fall which hasn't been officially announced yet that I'm planning on attending. There's a slight chance this may have to wait until '19 though.

There is? I'm not sure I've heard about it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 20, 2018, 11:31:20 AM

I'd really like to do this in the fall of '18 (October or November), but there's another meet coming up this fall which hasn't been officially announced yet that I'm planning on attending. There's a slight chance this may have to wait until '19 though.

Jeremy has been discussing an Oklahoma bridge tour, but I've not heard of anything recently
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vdeane

My guess would be either Philadelphia, Mentor, or Kingston, unless there's something else we don't know about.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

see https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21146.0.  It has the list of meets (some with links) it's also stickied.

Mentor OH is in Sept,  The Catskill meet will be sometime late Oct, Early Nov.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

I halfway wondered if he talked about my on-the-back-burner Portsmouth, OH meet. I know it won't be happening in September. I've got too much work stuff on my plate to even think about a meet then.

cl94

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 20, 2018, 02:18:07 PM

see https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21146.0.  It has the list of meets (some with links) it's also stickied.

Mentor OH is in Sept,  The Catskill meet will be sometime late Oct, Early Nov.

Catskills will almost certainly be October 27th (last Saturday of the month). Just after the peak leaf season and we'll be able to see abandoned stuff easily, but it won't be too cold. I'm setting that date in stone at some point this weekend. That'll mostly be short walking tours of historic sites with scenic driving between them.

As far as this meet, 19 would probably be better at this point unless you're doing it somewhere close to a lot of people. It's getting too close to when it would have to be for the long-distance people to plan it out. I can virtually guarantee I wouldn't be able to make it in 2018 unless it's in Providence just because of other obligations and trips this year.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

A.J. Bertin

I don't think too many people have heard about it yet, but it's not really my place to share any of the details. My hope is that it's announced soon but it's on the host's time schedule to announce... not mine.

There are less than two weeks remaining before the poll closes. Once it closes, and once I get an idea from the host of the other meet what his time frame is, I will create a poll with some potential dates.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 20, 2018, 05:58:08 PM

I don't think too many people have heard about it yet, but it's not really my place to share any of the details. My hope is that it's announced soon but it's on the host's time schedule to announce... not mine.

Hopefully, the host will spill the beans soon. I'm considering a trip, but if it's a good meet, I'd swap my planned trip out for the meet.

I also hope it's not in September. My work calendar is filling up with stuff that requires travel, so it won't be a good month for personal excursions.

vdeane

Likewise, I am also starting to think about what my fall roadtrip season will look like.  I intend to take some kind of roadtrip on both Columbus Day weekend and Veterans Day, one of which will likely be an overnight to clinch the rest of the touring routes in Region 8.  After that I'm thinking of working on my clinch of the New England interstates.  My potential roadmeets are Philadelphia, Kingston, and (depending on whether I'm going to a certain conference or not), Mentor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Someone had been talking about doing a revival of this (below). However, that talk has stopped, or else I've removed from the loop.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2018, 12:42:27 AM
Philadelphia? Did I miss something?

I was wondering the same thing. This is the first time I'm hearing about any potential Philadelphia meet. That would be on my list or road meets to try and attend if possible!
-A.J. from Michigan

signalman

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 21, 2018, 07:50:01 AM

I was wondering the same thing. This is the first time I'm hearing about any potential Philadelphia meet. That would be on my list or road meets to try and attend if possible!
I wondered as well.  Maybe Valerie was referring to a possible meet for when 95 is completed.  I seem to recall some talk about organizing something for its completion.

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 20, 2018, 11:16:58 PM
Someone had been talking about doing a revival of this (below). However, that talk has stopped, or else I've removed from the loop.
I believe that is on hiatus.

cl94

Quote from: signalman on July 21, 2018, 07:57:16 AM

I wondered as well.  Maybe Valerie was referring to a possible meet for when 95 is completed.  I seem to recall some talk about organizing something for its completion.

There has been talk about a mini-meet for when the ramps are open. That will likely be like the NJ meet 2 weeks ago and the Delaware meet's original intent - short notice and free-flowing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on July 21, 2018, 01:35:34 PM
Quote from: signalman on July 21, 2018, 07:57:16 AM

There has been talk about a mini-meet for when the ramps are open. That will likely be like the NJ meet 2 weeks ago and the Delaware meet's original intent - short notice and free-flowing.

I had figured someone would try to plan something around the opening of those ramps. The "Make I-95 Great Again" meet.  :bigass:

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on July 21, 2018, 07:40:45 PM

I had figured someone would try to plan something around the opening of those ramps. The "Make I-95 Great Again" meet.  :bigass:
Hey, it's Change we need  :awesomeface:

:popcorn: :popcorn:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I was badgering from afar in regards to a NE Philly-Trenton meet (for I-95), and even for Southhaven, err, Memphis when I-269 was completed later this year.
After sinking 3/4s of my savings into my car, over the last month, I've had to erase any thoughts of travel, outside of Ohio, for the rest of the year to allow my saving to build back up.
Exception would be for one trip (and one trip only!) if I don't have to pay for boarding along the way. I (think I) can successfully do that with any roadmeet in & around Philly because I have extended family that live out that way, to cut down on my expenses.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cjk374

I like this idea AJ. I am wanting to host a central Louisiana meet possibly in 2020. If I can't find much to show off in the area, your method may come in very handy. Could end up as a parish clinching meet.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

A.J. Bertin

There's only 8 more days until the poll closes. I edited the poll to make the results visible to anyone... regardless of whether or not you vote. If you haven't voted yet in the poll, please do! Feel free to vote even if you're not sure whether you can make it to any of the locations listed in the poll. You can simply base your vote on which city of the three that you think would be good for the first-ever "city meet" of this kind.

Right now it's neck-and-neck between Omaha and Providence. I don't want to be the one to cast the deciding vote. LOL

In case this encourages more people to vote, I am leaning toward hosting this gathering in April or May 2019. There's a slight chance I may host it this fall, but I'm leaning against it. (I'm giving myself about an 80 percent chance that I'll choose April or May 2019.)
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 25, 2018, 06:14:35 PM
There's only 8 more days until the poll closes. I edited the poll to make the results visible to anyone... regardless of whether or not you vote. If you haven't voted yet in the poll, please do! Feel free to vote even if you're not sure whether you can make it to any of the locations listed in the poll. You can simply base your vote on which city of the three that you think would be good for the first-ever "city meet" of this kind.

Right now it's neck-and-neck between Omaha and Providence. I don't want to be the one to cast the deciding vote. LOL

In case this encourages more people to vote, I am leaning toward hosting this gathering in April or May 2019. There's a slight chance I may host it this fall, but I'm leaning against it. (I'm giving myself about an 80 percent chance that I'll choose April or May 2019.)
It's your idea! Cast the deciding vote! Go where you want!

getemngo

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 20, 2018, 05:58:08 PM

A.J. was referring to my Indiana meet. I mentioned it to a number of people at Aurora/Naperville earlier this year and then did some scouting that weekend.
~ Sam from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Well it's official... the poll closed a couple hours ago and the winner is Providence! This means that my first "city meet" will take place in Providence. For at least a half (or two-thirds) of the time that the poll was up, it was looking like Omaha would be the winner but Providence won by just a single vote. I'm excited!

I've decided that I will not be hosting this meet in 2018 because of everything else that's going on this year. I will plan on hosting it in April or May 2019, and I'll post a separate thread with some details on that.

If the Providence meet goes well in 2019, I will tentatively plan on hosting a meet along these lines in Omaha in 2020 (because Omaha came in second place in the poll). Then, if the momentum continues, I would host an Elizabeth City/Nags Head meet in 2021.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.