News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Quebec's Highways

Started by Stojko, February 04, 2010, 06:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: Ian on July 22, 2014, 06:31:17 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on July 22, 2014, 05:02:01 PM
According to a report from a friend of mine, we've just lost a blue sign on A-10, namely the EB sign for exit 29 (R-133 / Iberville / Richelieu).

:-(
That's not too far from my Uncle's house in Chambly, on the way to the townships. Sad to see it go.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 23, 2014, 09:31:50 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on July 23, 2014, 01:49:35 PMEDIT: The contract number is 8701-13-0302.

My apologies for the transcription error.  I assume you have looked at 8603-13-0302 (A-10 signing update Exits 68-90) as well?
Yup, I already had that one. At first, I thought 29 and 55 were safe as I didn't find this other project.

ATLRedSoxFan

I can remember when they opened the A-10 almost 50 yrs. ago, the signs were Red.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on July 24, 2014, 12:10:35 PM
I can remember when they opened the A-10 almost 50 yrs. ago, the signs were Red.
That blue sign has been standing for a long, long time.  Last time I traveled Autoroute 10 was in August 1980 and it was still a toll road.

webfil

Indeed. Autoroutes under the Office des Autoroutes jurisdiction also had sequential numbering and no trapezoidal marker for the exits, but trapezoidal BRS/BGS/BBS.

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: webfil on July 24, 2014, 12:52:54 PM
Indeed. Autoroutes under the Office des Autoroutes jurisdiction also had sequential numbering and no trapezoidal marker for the exits, but trapezoidal BRS/BGS/BBS.

I actually remember that sign from when my dad took us to Expo in 1967(I was nine at the time) and I want to say it was at the Chambly exit. I may have said this before, but I can remember when they first opened the Autoroute, the ramps were actually gravel(at least on ramps). We drove that road quite a bit, driving from Cowansville to Chambly to Montreal and the South Shore.

Alps

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on July 24, 2014, 11:17:24 PM
I actually remember that sign from when my dad took us to Expo in 1967(I was nine at the time) and I want to say it was at the Chambly exit. I may have said this before, but I can remember when they first opened the Autoroute, the ramps were actually gravel(at least on ramps). We drove that road quite a bit, driving from Cowansville to Chambly to Montreal and the South Shore.
There are definitely no more left exits! After consulting my old Quebec maps, this is at what's now QC 134, Blvd. Tascherau. Current aerials show a wide median there, so I can believe it originally having had some inside ramps.

AsphaltPlanet

The Taschereau interchange was only rebuilt about a decade or so ago.  Off the top of my head I am thinking it was maybe 2002 or so when it was done.  I know my old 1998 Montreal guide still showed the original configuration.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 25, 2014, 07:17:32 PM
The Taschereau interchange was only rebuilt about a decade or so ago.  Off the top of my head I am thinking it was maybe 2002 or so when it was done.  I know my old 1998 Montreal guide still showed the original configuration.
Is there a website for Canada with historic aerials or maps like Historicaerials.com? Even ACME Mapper has USGS quads that can be 40-50 years old, but the Canadian topo I know of is too up to date.

Stephane Dumas

There a old photo taken around 1967 of the Taschereau interchange on its original configuration at http://www.montrealroads.com/roads/eastern-townships/

J N Winkler

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 25, 2014, 07:17:32 PMThe Taschereau interchange was only rebuilt about a decade or so ago.  Off the top of my head I am thinking it was maybe 2002 or so when it was done.  I know my old 1998 Montreal guide still showed the original configuration.

Another data point:  contract 5330-04-0901 had an opening date of April 29, 2004 and the following description:

QuoteRéaménagement de l'échangeur Taschereau / autoroute 10, (phase 3), incluant la construction de voies réservées aux autobus, dans la municipalité de ville de Longueuil, (arrondissement de Brossard), MRC Champlain, circonscription électorale de La Pinière.

Le montant estimé du contrat se situe entre 20 000 000 $ et
25 000 000 $.

Edit:  Fun fact:  Boulevard Taschereau is named after Louis-Alexandre Taschereau, premier of Québec between 1920 and 1936.  He later died in 1952 at the age of 85.  His successors for almost 50 years after he left office all died at ages younger than 70, either in office or shortly after leaving it.  Pierre-Marc Johnson (later chair of the Johnson commission that investigated the Boulevard de la Concorde overpass collapse) briefly served as premier in 1985 and is the former premier with the earliest dates of incumbency after Taschereau who either is still living or died after age 70.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webfil

Quote from: Alps on July 26, 2014, 09:03:45 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 25, 2014, 07:17:32 PM
Is there a website for Canada with historic aerials or maps like Historicaerials.com? Even ACME Mapper has USGS quads that can be 40-50 years old, but the Canadian topo I know of is too up to date.

For Québec : Bibliothèque et Archives Nationales @ http://services.banq.qc.ca/sdx/cep/

AsphaltPlanet

Does the photo radar in and around Montreal have any leaway?  Ie. If I were going 71 in a 70 would I get a ticket?  If not, at what speed would I like get a ticket?
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ATLRedSoxFan

Quote from: Alps on July 25, 2014, 03:51:12 PM
Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on July 24, 2014, 11:17:24 PM
There are definitely no more left exits! After consulting my old Quebec maps, this is at what's now QC 134, Blvd. Tascherau. Current aerials show a wide median there, so I can believe it originally having had some inside ramps.
You are correct, that's the Taschereau interchange, don't know what I was thinking, but coming from the memory of a nine-year-old, might have something to do with it, lol!. And the landscape has changed since that pic was taken. And so has the landscape for the Chambly/A-35 interchange.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 07, 2014, 06:25:57 AM
Does the photo radar in and around Montreal have any leaway?  Ie. If I were going 71 in a 70 would I get a ticket?  If not, at what speed would I like get a ticket?

I'm pretty sure it does. I'd give it about 10 km/h.*

* I'm not responsible for anything that happens.

AsphaltPlanet

I was just curious. There are a number of speed cameras on the west island within the A40 construction.  While I wasn't speeding, I am not sure I went through all of them at exactly 70

Ren97

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 07, 2014, 06:25:57 AM

Definitely, otherwise a few close ones would be sinking in debts... *cough*

AsphaltPlanet

Dr Frankenstein

Confirmed by a friend who just drove it (incidentally, the same one who reported on the blue signs), A-35 is now open down to Saint-Sébastien since 10 or 11 o'clock this morning, much to the confusion of clueless travelers who frequently turn around in the median or stop on the shoulder to consult their GPS/phone.

Chris

They should be consulting the signs.

Chris

oscar

Quote from: Chris on October 10, 2014, 12:49:50 PM
Autoroute 5 up to Wakefield opened to traffic today.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/ottawa/2014/10/10/005-outaouais-ouverture-nouveau-troncon-autoroute-5.shtml

Cool!  I already had penciled it in to my post-Quebec City meet itinerary, but this nails it.

It worked out really well with Dr Frankenstein scheduling the Quebec City meet right around the end of Canada's construction season, in time for this opening and the ones for the A-35 and ON 404 extensions, as well as the latest new A-85 segments.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AsphaltPlanet

If you are through the area, they should be finishing up the project to widen the 417 through Kanata on the Ontario side of the border.  If there any signs up (and if you take pictures while on the road), I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the finished signs.  As far as I know, none of the overhead signs had been erected as of last week, but they should nearly be finished paving by now, and the signs should be pretty well all that's left.

froggie

I took the A-35 extension yesterday (detailed in another thread).  Of note, and not in the photos Asphalt posted...there are stop signs on QC 133 at both ramp termini at the end of the extension (between Pike River and St. Sébastian).

webfil

Quote from: Chris on October 08, 2014, 02:58:18 PM
They should be consulting the signs.
I couldn't spot a single sign on the new stretch, with the exception of one "<= A-35 Saint-Sébastien" orange VMS located at the gore of exit 38 (connector leading to the old terminus), "Fin A-35 <T> 2 km" (that is to say 22 km after the last sign...) and the usual shenanigans (Max speed, km posts, no u-turns except for authorised vehicles). I witnessed many median-crossing u-turns too, and all of these u-turn spots were roughed out by many passages.

I also witnessed a driver pulling off towards a police car that happened to be ticketing another driver, and we suspected that she would inquire the cop for some info.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.