Regional Boards > Northeast

Philadelphia

<< < (2/118) > >>

Alex:
Philly-to-N.J. Tacony-Palmyra Bridge to get upgrade

--- Quote ---The Burlington County Bridge Commission announced plans to replace the grid deck on the movable span of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge this year.

The $7 million project is the largest capital improvement the commission has undertaken in the past 15 years.
--- End quote ---

froggie:
On my way back from the SEPA meet, I passed through Chester and noticed a new, high elevation, set of ramps being built from US 322 (at the end of the Commodore Barry Bridge) down to PA 291...basically "completing" an interchange on US 322 in this area.  The two loop ramps in particular are eastbound US 322 to PA 291, and PA 291 to westbound US 322 (towards I-95).

Question is...is this a PennDOT project or a DRPA project?  I didn't see anything on either website about the project.

akotchi:

--- Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2010, 07:34:12 AM ---On my way back from the SEPA meet, I passed through Chester and noticed a new, high elevation, set of ramps being built from US 322 (at the end of the Commodore Barry Bridge) down to PA 291...basically "completing" an interchange on US 322 in this area.  The two loop ramps in particular are eastbound US 322 to PA 291, and PA 291 to westbound US 322 (towards I-95).

Question is...is this a PennDOT project or a DRPA project?  I didn't see anything on either website about the project.

--- End quote ---

Appears to be a PennDOT project.  Google search led to this item.  See site link.
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Penndot/Districts/District6/D6Media.nsf/cd20de0d8cd84b3785256d66005b622b/c8f7ff75ab7fb1ba85257479006ed8b9?OpenDocument

Alex:
Major Philly bridge to reopen after $68M repair

--- Quote ---PHILADELPHIA A once-crumbling bridge connecting downtown Philadelphia with the city's University City neighborhood is set to reopen after a two-year, $68 million repair.

The South Street Bridge was closed in December 2008 after years of decay.

Crumbling concrete from the bridge had been falling into the Schuylkill River for years, so the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation decided to tear it down and build a new one.

Since then, motorists have had to use other routes to get from downtown to West Philadelphia - home of the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University.

Mayor Michael Nutter says the project has been completed a month early and on budget and the bridge will reopen Saturday.

Federal funds accounted for about 80 percent of the cost, with 15 percent coming from the state and 5 percent from the city.
--- End quote ---

Alex:
Found this snippet in a August 25, 1985 article: "ALL SIGNS POINT TO MORE AND BETTER HIGHWAY SIGNS" by the Philadelphia Inquirer:

--- Quote ---There's also serious talk about getting rid of the geese signs to the Delaware River Bridges. One proposal would replace them with drawings of a key, kite and lightning bolt on signs for the Benjamin Franklin Bridge, a quill and book for the Walt Whitman, a part of the flag for the Betsy Ross and an arch bridge for the Tacony-Palmyra. The signs, of course, also would carry the names of the bridges, but the drawings would make them a lot easier to follow than the geese.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version