News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on January 03, 2024, 04:53:49 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 03, 2024, 03:12:33 PM
I haven't noticed it myself (don't watch enough live action scripted TV), but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that actors don't ever actually eat or drink anything in scenes where their characters are doing so; to avoid continuity errors when shots from different takes are combined, the amount of food/drink present on camera has to stay consistent from take to take. Besides, the food is generally stale enough by the last take that it would be wholly unappetizing to actually consume.
So, rich people actually eat their food in fancy restaurants, rather than just ordering it and letting it sit there like they do in the movies?

Movies don't show people eating all their food at home either. They take 2 bites, a sip of coffee, say their 3 lines, and breakfast is done.

formulanone

Quote from: GaryV on January 03, 2024, 05:57:41 PM
I haven't noticed it myself (don't watch enough live action scripted TV), but I wonder if it has to do with the fact that actors don't ever actually eat or drink anything in scenes where their characters are doing so; to avoid continuity errors when shots from different takes are combined, the amount of food/drink present on camera has to stay consistent from take to take. Besides, the food is generally stale enough by the last take that it would be wholly unappetizing to actually consume.
So, rich people actually eat their food in fancy restaurants, rather than just ordering it and letting it sit there like they do in the movies?

Movies don't show people eating all their food at home either. They take 2 bites, a sip of coffee, say their 3 lines, and breakfast is done.

That, and if the scene took 25 takes, the actor doesn't want to really eat 25 times.

Cool, we can blame Hollywood for food waste!

jeffandnicole

"Kids/Mom/Dad you're gonna be late for school/work/meeting"

vdeane

Quote from: 7/8 on January 03, 2024, 01:50:25 PM
Quote from: GaryV on January 03, 2024, 12:56:54 PM
Why does the last 1/2 inch of milk in the carton go sour overnight in the fridge? Even when it's still days from "best by".

As a Canadian I can't relate. :biggrin: How about some bagged milk examples?
- When you grab the pitcher of milk and there's only a small bit of milk left in the bag. (I'm also guilty of doing that sometimes if I don't feel like switching to the next bag, but it's not nice for the next person)
- When you're pouring milk and the bag slips a bit forward, causing the milk to pour further out and miss the glass
- When someone cuts the hole either too small (so it takes a while to pour) or too big (milk pours too quickly, easier to spill). The latter is worse since you can't make the hole smaller once it's cut
- When you buy milk and one of the bags has a leak (thankfully that's rare)
Makes me glad we buy milk in jugs on our side of the border.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Why does the last 1/2 inch of milk in the carton go sour overnight in the fridge? Even when it's still days from "best by".

The more air in the container along with the milk, the faster the milk will spoil.  A full jug should therefore last longer than a nearly-empty jug, all else being equal.

Also, higher-fat milk will keep longer.  So, if you drink low-fat or skim milk, then that might be contributing to the problem, because the margin of error is slimmer.

At our house, we buy whole milk for the kids (our own plus daycare), and we go through at least 1½ gallons per week, so it never even approaches the expiration date.  For myself, I buy a pint of 1% milk;  it's ultra-pasteurized, which makes it last much longer than your typical jug of milk.

If milk spoilage is a common occurrence for you, then I recommend buying ultra-pasteurized milk instead.  Some people reportedly complain that it has a slightly "cooked" flavor, but I can barely notice the difference, and I actually kind of like it better.  (I don't care for plain milk, though.  I only use it on cereal.)  It does cost more, and it's hard to find in larger sizes.  I don't know exactly where you live, but your profile says southeastern Michigan:  I see that Meijer sells half-gallons of ultra-pasteurized whole milk under their True Goodness label for about $4 a carton.  They also sell gallons of Organic Valley ultra-pasteurized 2% milk, but it's a little more expensive at over $8.50 a jug.  There are probably a couple of other options too.  Maybe the biggest advantage is that it lasts a LONG time unopened—to the point that I don't think the brand I buy at Dillon's (local Kroger variant) even has an expiration date printed on it at all, or if it does, then it's ridiculously far out.  So I can pick one up, not open it for a week and a half, and not worry at all about it going bad.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2024, 10:34:34 AM

The more air in the container along with the milk, the faster the milk will spoil.  A full jug should therefore last longer than a nearly-empty jug, all else being equal.

Also, higher-fat milk will keep longer.  So, if you drink low-fat or skim milk, then that might be contributing to the problem, because the margin of error is slimmer.

At our house, we buy whole milk for the kids (our own plus daycare), and we go through at least 1½ gallons per week, so it never even approaches the expiration date.  For myself, I buy a pint of 1% milk;  it's ultra-pasteurized, which makes it last much longer than your typical jug of milk.

If milk spoilage is a common occurrence for you, then I recommend buying ultra-pasteurized milk instead.  Some people reportedly complain that it has a slightly "cooked" flavor, but I can barely notice the difference, and I actually kind of like it better.  (I don't care for plain milk, though.  I only use it on cereal.)  It does cost more, and it's hard to find in larger sizes.  I don't know exactly where you live, but your profile says southeastern Michigan:  I see that Meijer sells half-gallons of ultra-pasteurized whole milk under their True Goodness label for about $4 a carton.  They also sell gallons of Organic Valley ultra-pasteurized 2% milk, but it's a little more expensive at over $8.50 a jug.  There are probably a couple of other options too.  Maybe the biggest advantage is that it lasts a LONG time unopened—to the point that I don't think the brand I buy at Dillon's (local Kroger variant) even has an expiration date printed on it at all, or if it does, then it's ridiculously far out.  So I can pick one up, not open it for a week and a half, and not worry at all about it going bad.

I've also noticed that sometimes it's only the film on the sides of the carton that's gone sour, making the container fail the sniff test, but the milk itself is fine.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2024, 10:34:34 AM

Thanks, I'll stick with the store brand at somewhere around $3/gal, and maybe lose 20-40 cents by having to throw away the last bit. Still beats spending $8.

Yes, we do shop at Meijer for most of our stuff. But I've found that in general Kroger milk stays fresh longer - it often has later sell-by dates and it seldom goes bad before that date. We've had a lot of Meijer milk that went bad as much as 3 days before it's date, sometimes having to throw out 1/2 gallon.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on January 04, 2024, 01:51:26 PM
Thanks, I'll stick with the store brand at somewhere around $3/gal, and maybe lose 20-40 cents by having to throw away the last bit. Still beats spending $8.

Hey, no sweat to me.  I don't care what milk you buy.  Heck, I don't know what you even do with your milk, so, for all I know, you might be better off not buying milk at all and just getting tap water from the sink instead.  What counts as "worth it" to you is totally subjective.  Personally, I buy the ultra-pasteurized milk only because that's the only kind that comes in pints at our grocery store, and its keeping longer in the fridge is just a nice side benefit.  I don't buy 1% in anything larger than pints because at least half the jug would go sour otherwise:  as I said, I only use it on breakfast cereal, and I don't even eat cereal every day.  I was merely suggesting it as a solution to your milk going bad.  If you don't find the longer shelf life of ultra-pasteurized milk to outweigh the additional cost, then more power to you.

I will note, however, that you might take less of a financial hit if you buy half-gallons instead of full-gallons.  I've found that milk in half-gallons tends to last a little longer, probably because there's less air in the jug by the time the level gets really low.

Quote from: GaryV on January 04, 2024, 01:51:26 PM
Yes, we do shop at Meijer for most of our stuff. But I've found that in general Kroger milk stays fresh longer - it often has later sell-by dates and it seldom goes bad before that date. We've had a lot of Meijer milk that went bad as much as 3 days before it's date, sometimes having to throw out 1/2 gallon.

I've never shopped at Meijer, but that sucks.  I'll count myself fortunate in never even having to do the sniff test anymore!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

Quote from: formulanone on January 03, 2024, 06:14:32 PM

That, and if the scene took 25 takes, the actor doesn't want to really eat 25 times.

This post reminds me of one of the "extras" in the DVD for the movie The Hunt For Red October.

There is a scene in that movie where the submarine captain (Sean Connery) is eating, and the other boat officers are sitting at a small table, I believe they were discussing how to proceed. Anyway, this "extra" pointed out that Sean Connery had to "eat" in all of the takes of this scene, and said something about the particular food Connery wanted in the scene (if memory serves, not the cheapest food). After however many takes they took (sounded like it was a few), he must have been stuffed.

Scott5114

Not a thing that bothers me, but apropos to the milk expiry discussion... I remember thinking a week or so ago that it's kind of strange that Braum's milk seems to last for so much longer than other brands do. Then I thought about it a bit more and realized it's probably just that, because it's a small company, the milk sends less time passing through distribution centers and sitting on trucks and things like that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 04, 2024, 02:39:49 PM
Quote from: formulanone on January 03, 2024, 06:14:32 PM

This post reminds me of one of the "extras" in the DVD for the movie The Hunt For Red October.

There is a scene in that movie where the submarine captain (Sean Connery) is eating, and the other boat officers are sitting at a small table, I believe they were discussing how to proceed. Anyway, this "extra" pointed out that Sean Connery had to "eat" in all of the takes of this scene, and said something about the particular food Connery wanted in the scene (if memory serves, not the cheapest food). After however many takes they took (sounded like it was a few), he must have been stuffed.

If I recall correctly, it was also a concern for the eating-a-Snickers-with-a-fork-and-knife episode of Seinfeld, and whoever it was ended up eating like 10 bars over the course of filming.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 04, 2024, 02:59:01 PM
Not a thing that bothers me, but apropos to the milk expiry discussion... I remember thinking a week or so ago that it's kind of strange that Braum's milk seems to last for so much longer than other brands do. Then I thought about it a bit more and realized it's probably just that, because it's a small company, the milk sends less time passing through distribution centers and sitting on trucks and things like that.

And they probably don't need as much stock, so the milk they receive ends up at the front of the shelf/in your cart a lot sooner.

Takumi

When someone is writing/typing an imitation of a drawn out pronunciation of the word, but the written imitation doesn't match how it would actually be pronounced. Particularly if they just add a bunch more silent E's to the end of a word.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on January 05, 2024, 12:00:01 PM
When someone is writing/typing an imitation of a drawn out pronunciation of the word, but the written imitation doesn't match how it would actually be pronounced. Particularly if they just add a bunch more silent E's to the end of a word.

Aw, shut uppppppppppppppp, mmmmmmmmmmmmman!
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2024, 12:07:04 PM

The 'm' is reasonable in your statement, since it's a voiced labial and you can sustain it. The 'p', however, being a plosive cannot be sustained. "Aw shut uppppppppppppppppp bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbro!" would be a little more to your point.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Big John

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 05, 2024, 01:33:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2024, 12:07:04 PM

The 'm' is reasonable in your statement, since it's a voiced labial and you can sustain it. The 'p', however, being a plosive cannot be sustained. "Aw shut uppppppppppppppppp bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbro!" would be a little more to your point.
It can sound that way, under certain oxygen-intelligence-depriving situations.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Japanese onomatopoeia (giongo and gitaigo) is a whole other weird realm of this phenomenon. Who knew there were literally sounds* representing different types of silence?

* okay, rarely spoken aloud

MATraveler128

Bluetooth earbuds that automatically connect to your iPhone when you don't want them to even when they're sitting in the case charging even in a separate room. This is particularly annoying when I get phone calls since it automatically pairs them during a call. Even with regular earbuds they will disconnect the audio and pair to Bluetooth instead when I try to listen to my music.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

kkt

ZLoth

I'm traveling at the moment. Two things that bothered me...

First, going through the TSA at DFW. After checking in and dropping off my luggage, I go to the nearest TSA Checkpoint which apparent does NOT TSA Pre-Check (boo), however, they gave me a blue card stating that i don't have to take off my shoes, etc. However, after the checkpoint, I went to pick up my stuff... and the empty bins were stacked up as other travelers refused to do the common courtesy of sliding the empty trays to the collection area so that they can be sent to waiting people.

However, right after the TSA Checkpoint, I get a panic tech support call from my mother. She apparently browsed to a site which had a malicious "Call Support" site with a 888 number to call. I told her NOT to call the number, and did my best to set up a video call to guide her to fixing her computer. Considering that she dislikes technology and doesn't like to follow directions, this is a challenge. Now, her laptop can't power up, and I can't fix it until I get back... in two weeks. Of course, there is the obligatory "you go on vacation, and everything technical misbehaves".  :banghead:
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like a protest sign?

Rothman

Quote from: ZLoth on January 06, 2024, 04:19:02 AM
I'm traveling at the moment. Two things that bothered me...

First, going through the TSA at DFW. After checking in and dropping off my luggage, I go to the nearest TSA Checkpoint which apparent does NOT TSA Pre-Check (boo), however, they gave me a blue card stating that i don't have to take off my shoes, etc. However, after the checkpoint, I went to pick up my stuff... and the empty bins were stacked up as other travelers refused to do the common courtesy of sliding the empty trays to the collection area so that they can be sent to waiting people.

However, right after the TSA Checkpoint, I get a panic tech support call from my mother. She apparently browsed to a site which had a malicious "Call Support" site with a 888 number to call. I told her NOT to call the number, and did my best to set up a video call to guide her to fixing her computer. Considering that she dislikes technology and doesn't like to follow directions, this is a challenge. Now, her laptop can't power up, and I can't fix it until I get back... in two weeks. Of course, there is the obligatory "you go on vacation, and everything technical misbehaves".  :banghead:
So:

1) Lack of TSA PreCheck at DFW.
2) Luddite Mom

That's a strange spectrum.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.