News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

My Quad Cities Observations

Started by SEWIGuy, March 17, 2024, 11:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

So I moved to the Quad Cities a few months ago and have had some time to explore the area and here are some of my thoughts and observations.

**I know this has been brought up here before, but I have no idea how to manage the interstate numbering in the area. Multiple single lane exits to stay on the mainline aren't great, but I can't think of anything better.  And man did Illinois love their cloverleafs.

**The twin-one ways in Moline and Rock Island that used to carry US-6 in pre-interstate days are WAY overbuilt for the local traffic now, but are really convenient when that's your commute every day.

**Davenport might be the worst city of its size I have experienced when it comes to traffic management. It's full of stroads, ill-timed stop lights, lights at intersections that don't need them, etc. It just takes forever to get from one side of the city to another. And their snow removal is abysmal compared to its peers in the area. The funny thing is the locals know all of this too.

**I never got the chance to drive the old I-74 bridge, but the new one is really cool. The Centennial Bridge (US-67) and Government Bridge are neat as well.

**While I understand why people think US-150 should be decommissioned, it still is state highway worthy.

ilpt4u

Illinois has slowly started to dump cloverleafs...

Years ago the I-57/IL 13 cloverleaf in Marion in Southern IL was rebuilt into a SPUI

The I-57/I-74 Cloverleaf in Champaign is currently being rebuilt as a kind of odd cloverstack

I may have read something in a thread on Great Lakes/Ohio Valley that IDOT is looking at changes to the I-80/I-88/IL 5 cloverleaf, but don't quote me on that

74/171FAN

Quote**I know this has been brought up here before, but I have no idea how to manage the interstate numbering in the area. Multiple single lane exits to stay on the mainline aren't great, but I can't think of anything better.  And man did Illinois love their cloverleafs.

My understanding from the Midwest crowd is that Illinois DOT at one point tried to put I-80 fully onto I-280 and I-74 onto current I-80 between I-280 in IA and "The Big X" with the north-south I-74 portion becoming I-174. 

However, the Iowa Legislature for some reason had to pass legislation not allowing the interstate designations to change so we are stuck with what we have.  :spin:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ilpt4u

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 17, 2024, 11:42:50 AM
Quote**I know this has been brought up here before, but I have no idea how to manage the interstate numbering in the area. Multiple single lane exits to stay on the mainline aren't great, but I can't think of anything better.  And man did Illinois love their cloverleafs.

My understanding from the Midwest crowd is that Illinois DOT at one point tried to put I-80 fully onto I-280 and I-74 onto current I-80 between I-280 in IA and "The Big X" with the north-south I-74 portion becoming I-174. 

However, the Iowa Legislature for some reason had to pass legislation not allowing the interstate designations to change so we are stuck with what we have.  :spin:
Must be some Grid Purists in the Iowa Statehouse

SEWIGuy

I think keeping I-80 where it is now is fine. When it comes time to redoing the interchange, just realign it so the mainlines have additional lanes.

oscar

Illinois DOT tried to go over Iowa's and AASHTO's heads, to get Congress to intervene. That failed, too. See http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/i280.html#280il
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

pianocello

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 17, 2024, 11:21:12 AM
**Davenport might be the worst city of its size I have experienced when it comes to traffic management. It's full of stroads, ill-timed stop lights, lights at intersections that don't need them, etc. It just takes forever to get from one side of the city to another. And their snow removal is abysmal compared to its peers in the area. The funny thing is the locals know all of this too.
It could be better, but it could be a lot worse. Some roads are definitely better than others, and going west to east I've found it's often a comparable time to take I-80 and I-74 around than to go straight through town. I was based within a mile of I-80 though so YMMV.

But you're right, snow removal in Davenport is... not great.

**I never got the chance to drive the old I-74 bridge, but the new one is really cool. The Centennial Bridge (US-67) and Government Bridge are neat as well.
It's convenient that the Centennial is so close in the event the swing span of the Government Bridge closes the road.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

vdeane

That would be the logical way to do it.  Why did they not designate it that way in the first place?  Having a TOTSO on two interstates a the same interchange when both roadways ultimately go to the same place makes zero sense.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: vdeane on March 17, 2024, 03:33:33 PM

That would be the logical way to do it.  Why did they not designate it that way in the first place?  Having a TOTSO on two interstates a the same interchange when both roadways ultimately go to the same place makes zero sense.

I believe its because I-74 was supposed to go straight south from what is now the I-280 interchange.  I-280 would have ended at this point. So I-80 was planned to run basically along its current route. 

ilpt4u

It is there for us all to enjoy one of the few Interstate "bumps" [the other two off my head are I-76/I-80/Ohio Turnpike and I-55(thru)/I-64/I-70(bump)]

2 of the 3 are in Illinois...

SEWIGuy

One other thing.

There needs to be a crossing of I-74 on the Iowa side that isn't an exit. I see too much traffic that either uses Kimberly or 53rd St. to cross the highway if they are trying to access the shopping on either side of the highway. I'm thinking Tanglefoot Road.

You missed nothing on the old bridge.
I always encourage Illinois to try again on re number.
Iowa 2050 is out they included Kimberly as a congested state route.
They are planning no new expressways All super 2 though the legislature may force 30 as an unfunded mandate.

iowahighways

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 17, 2024, 11:54:38 AM
Must be some Grid Purists in the Iowa Statehouse

The law in question was passed in 1992, during the height of the renumbering controversy: https://casetext.com/statute/code-of-iowa/title-viii-transportation/chapter-314-administrative-provisions-for-highways/section-31416-interstate-80-route-designation
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.