News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coca-Cola to discontinue Tab

Started by golden eagle, October 20, 2020, 10:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

GaryV

There's a lady at our church who will be disconsolate.

I could never see the attraction.

JoePCool14

Someone, somewhere out there will be very upset this morning.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Tab?  I can't give you a tab unless you order something!

SP Cook

The panic/pandemic has caused a serious shortage of both bottles and cans.  My local places, both grocery and individual retail, can only get the basic flavors now.  KO is using the time to cull out lots of small brands. 

This contradicts the "jello theory" in marketing.  95% of jello sales are of its core 8 flavors, yet it makes upwards of 50.  Why?  Because knowing each store only has so much space for gelatin, the more of it taken up by jello eliminates lesser brands.

kevinb1994

I'm honestly going to miss having this as something that was far more than a product of its time. It was and will always be something I miss as part of the Homestuck community. It is quite the "˜pop' culture reference, even though it could be qualified as somewhat obscure.

I will add that I haven't had any of it, having sold my soul to bottles of Faygo instead.

Throckmorton

Proceed with caution

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

-- US 175 --

Coke has tried to phase out Tab for several years, but apparently, despite the presence of both Diet Coke and Coke Zero, Tab still has a small group of loyal fans.  I've looked in a couple of stores in the last week or so, and no traces.

formulanone

Back when I worked in a grocery store in the 1990s, there were always one or two customers who would hoard all the TaB we had on the shelf and any remaining backstock.  But I don't remember too many people asking for it when it was a stock-out, so I don't think that really counts as hoarding!

...if anything, more customers were likely to give us stockclerks a puzzled look and say, "They still make Tab?!?"

golden eagle

I didn't realize Tab was still around until recently.

Thing 342

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 20, 2020, 12:53:29 PM
Someone, somewhere out there will be very upset this morning.

I'm more cross that they also decided to discontinue Northern Neck Ginger Ale. Far better than Seagram's or Schweppes, in my opinion.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2020, 01:11:29 PM

Then gimme a Pepsi Free.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

I tried Tab when I had to switch from sugared to unsugared sodas in the 1980s. I couldn't stand it. Fortunately, around that time aspartame-flavored diet sodas hit the market, and they worked much better for me (and I guess lots of other consumers), so my switch to Tab was short-lived.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Stephane Dumas

To my knowledge, the Tab Cola wasn't sold in Quebec. I remember more RC Cola.

Rothman

TaB disappeared at least from my hometown for a while when I was a teenager.  A local ice cream store never changed their menu.  One time, a friend tried to order a large TaB and he and the cashier had a good laugh over it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2020, 03:24:42 PM

Then gimme a Pepsi Free.

Hey pal, I can't give you a Pepsi unless you pay for it!

hbelkins

My brother used to drink Tab.

Now that Diet Coke and Coke Zero have killed Tab, how long until one of those kills the other? I prefer Diet Coke, but have developed a taste for Coke Zero on occasion.

And will Fresca suffer the same fate as Tab, now that I'm seeing more Diet Sprite availability?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KeithE4Phx

Tab?  I thought that brand was replaced by Diet Coke decades ago.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2020, 05:17:09 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2020, 03:24:42 PM

Then gimme a Pepsi Free.

Hey pal, I can't give you a Pepsi unless you pay for it!

Just give me something without sugar.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dirt Roads

Oh my, TaB.  When I was working a large railroad territory back in the mid-1980s, I would try to remember every McDonalds that still served Tab and generally avoid them.  My territory covered Pennsylvania (both sides) through South Carolina (technically, Savannah) and I helped cover a number of projects elsewhere.  But when I got transferred to the Pittsburgh area, I got into a nostalgic phase.  I found an old country store in the South Hills (Castle Shannon, IIRC) that sold TaB in the bottle.  But one such stop there, they had started selling Fresca in the can and I grabbed one.  The parking area was on the other side of Library Road.  You should have seen the face of the police officer who stopped to let me cross when I took a sip right in front of him.  He couldn't figure out what kind of "beer" that I was drinking. 

Anyhow, I do confess that I did frequent some McDonalds along I-77 and I-95 in search of TaB for a few years.

Dirt Roads

I also confess to transporting cases of Diet Mountain Dew from the Save-a-Lot on Industrial Blvd (MD-51) in Cumberland, Maryland all across the country.  For a number of years, it was the only place that I ever found any.  It was probably illegal to transport so much, but I wasn't about to give any away.  (I did offer to a few friends who politely turned up their noses at diet sodas).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 20, 2020, 07:30:23 PM
I also confess to transporting cases of Diet Mountain Dew from the Save-a-Lot on Industrial Blvd (MD-51) in Cumberland, Maryland all across the country.  For a number of years, it was the only place that I ever found any.  It was probably illegal to transport so much, but I wasn't about to give any away.  (I did offer to a few friends who politely turned up their noses at diet sodas).

Clandestine Diet Mountain Dew?  Sounds like a premise for a Smokey and the Bandit exploitation movie.  The protagonist can drive a Mustang II Cobra instead of a Trans Am. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2020, 06:15:15 PM
My brother used to drink Tab.

Now that Diet Coke and Coke Zero have killed Tab, how long until one of those kills the other? I prefer Diet Coke, but have developed a taste for Coke Zero on occasion.

And will Fresca suffer the same fate as Tab, now that I'm seeing more Diet Sprite availability?

It appears these are the top selling sodas:

Coke
Pepsi
Diet Coke
Mountain Dew

Using a report for 2018, Diet Coke sales were up 4.6% since 2010; Coke Zero went up 10%. Both seem to be doing well for Coca-Cola.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 20, 2020, 07:30:23 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2020, 08:00:52 PM
Clandestine Diet Mountain Dew?  Sounds like a premise for a Smokey and the Bandit exploitation movie.  The protagonist can drive a Mustang II Cobra instead of a Trans Am.

Cool.  For the record, I was driving a cheap Firebird back then.  But most of the time, it was the company K-car (or company Jeep after moving to Pennsylvania).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.