Regional Boards > Central States

KC Freeway History

<< < (2/6) > >>

ARMOURERERIC:
I lived in Newport News 1991_96, on a trip to the ODU library, I found an original copy of the 1947 KC plan on the shelf.

Revive 755:

--- Quote from: bugo on July 17, 2021, 05:47:03 PM ---I don't know where you're getting that MO 152 was supposed to be a MO 7 extension. MO 7 is north-south, and MO 152 is east-west, and it wouldn't make sense for MO 7 to make an abrupt turn like that. It would also have had to find a way to hop over the river. The proposed MO 152 freeway is marked as the "Proposed Route T". MO 152 continues west of I-435 as Route T, and this was probably where it got that name.

--- End quote ---

From text that could have been clearer?

A sharp turn/transition from north-south to east west doesn't seem out of the question.  MO 291 used to have such a turn near Liberty (prior to being cut back to Exit 45 on I-435, see the KC insert on the 1972 MO map) and MO 7 already has a bit turn around Harrison.  It also doesn't seem impossible that there could have been another Missouri River crossing proposed as part of some old outer belt plan, given the era of the document.

Route66Fan:

--- Quote from: Revive 755 on July 17, 2021, 10:46:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: bugo on July 17, 2021, 05:47:03 PM ---I don't know where you're getting that MO 152 was supposed to be a MO 7 extension. MO 7 is north-south, and MO 152 is east-west, and it wouldn't make sense for MO 7 to make an abrupt turn like that. It would also have had to find a way to hop over the river. The proposed MO 152 freeway is marked as the "Proposed Route T". MO 152 continues west of I-435 as Route T, and this was probably where it got that name.

--- End quote ---

From text that could have been clearer?

A sharp turn/transition from north-south to east west doesn't seem out of the question.  MO 291 used to have such a turn near Liberty (prior to being cut back to Exit 45 on I-435, see the KC insert on the 1972 MO map) and MO 7 already has a bit turn around Harrison.  It also doesn't seem impossible that there could have been another Missouri River crossing proposed as part of some old outer belt plan, given the era of the document.

--- End quote ---
I remember seeing a Missouri state highway map that showed some proposed highways that were supposed to be built. One of them was a new routing of MO 7 from North of Lake City, MO, between Buckner, MO & Fort Osage, MO (Where it would have intersected with US 24.). From there, it would have crossed the Missouri River on a new bridge & ended at MO 210. I don't remember where on the internet I saw that map, though.

SM-J737P

kernals12:
I think Kansas City has enough freeways as it is. They already have paved their way out of congestion.

TheHighwayMan394:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on July 18, 2021, 09:15:35 AM ---I think Kansas City has enough freeways as it is. They already have paved their way out of congestion.

--- End quote ---

Not really, chief...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version