News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Terms like "looms" and "beefed up" that news articles always use

Started by bandit957, March 11, 2021, 09:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on March 14, 2021, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 10:01:01 AM
Another is when they say an event will be "a bit different" from before, they mean "a lot worse."

Just like, "the new normal".

Beefed up experts say the new normal looms?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 14, 2021, 11:10:49 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 14, 2021, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 10:01:01 AM
Another is when they say an event will be "a bit different" from before, they mean "a lot worse."

Just like, "the new normal".

Beefed up experts say the new normal looms?

Allegedly.

OCGuy81

Another stock footage shot I've grown to hate, with the recent stimulus, is sheets of $100 bills coming off the press. It's usually followed by footage of people strolling through a mall, shopping bags in hand.

OCGuy81

....and one more thing. LOL!

Not everything needs to be live.

The affiliates out of Portland seem to love being live when there's even a chance of snow.

"As you can see, we're at a Sunset Highway overpass and you can see a few flurries starting to fall...let's zoom in here..."  🙄

bandit957

"Taking a proactive approach."

"Upping the ante."

A phrase used by weatherpeople: "much-needed rain." It doesn't matter how much rain we've already gotten.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

roadman

Quote from: webny99 on March 11, 2021, 09:57:03 AM
Or when a source doesn't respond, they've "declined request for comment".

Or saying something like "an official familar with the investigation, who spoke on request of anonymity because they're not authorized to discuss the matter publically".  In every other business and industry, this would be considered insider trading.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

"Iconic", "Historic", "Classic."  are my top three media overused and misused words.  Also sick and tired how the media loves the terms "allegedly"  and "alleged" - which they never seem to use right.  As in "Police caught the alleged suspects", or "The suspect was charged with alleged armed robbery".   
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

westerninterloper

"We'll tell you what you need to know." How do you know what I need to know? Is there something you think I don't need to know?
"Breaking news"
something is going to "take place".
"The normal temperature for March 14 is..." ...you mean average?

As others have mentioned, the constant search for something "historic" especially in sports..."This is the first time in historya hairy-legged short stop has caught a ground ball on the third bounce without a mitt on a Tuesday in June that's partly cloudy but with a 20% chance of rain. You'll recall last week, Dirk Quigly caught a ground ball without a mitt on the third bounce on a partly cloudy day with a 40% chance of rain. Also historic."
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

bandit957

Steve.S

How about "The suspect opened fire on the victim"  instead of "The suspect shot the victim" ?
Semper ubi sub ubi.

bandit957

My favorite is when the TV news has a report on some consumer scam and the reporter says it "might just make your money disappear" and uses a camera trick to make money disappear.

vdeane

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 14, 2021, 11:54:16 AM
....and one more thing. LOL!

Not everything needs to be live.

The affiliates out of Portland seem to love being live when there's even a chance of snow.

"As you can see, we're at a Sunset Highway overpass and you can see a few flurries starting to fall...let's zoom in here..."  🙄
Yeah.  I get that there are severe weather events that do require live coverage, but a lot of the time stations are live could probably be handled by graphics and scrolling text on the bottom of the screen.  My local station started doing that when the severe weather is more of the same or all they're reporting is a storm warning.  If there's something new it will beep to get people's attention.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 14, 2021, 11:51:41 AM
Another stock footage shot I've grown to hate, with the recent stimulus, is sheets of $100 bills coming off the press. It's usually followed by footage of people strolling through a mall, shopping bags in hand.

Nothing beats stock footage of morbidly obese people from the chest down when they've got some sort of story discussing obesity.

roadman

"Breaking news."  Guess what, if it hasn't been reported before, it's automatically breaking news.

wanderer2575

Not terminology, but two things along the same lines that irritate me:

(1)  "Coming up!  Joe Reporter with a live report!"  More often than not, it's a bland live intro to a prerecorded and edited segment.

(2)  Useless images accompanying text articles, because it's the only way to hold anyone's attention.  For instance, a story involving police action is accompanied by a stock photo of a police cruiser's disco light bar.

US 89

Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 12:18:32 PM
A phrase used by weatherpeople: "much-needed rain." It doesn't matter how much rain we've already gotten.

Your local drought-stricken farmers might beg to differ on that.

bandit957

Quote from: US 89 on March 14, 2021, 06:26:22 PM

It's just that we never actually have droughts around here. If we go 3 days without rain, that's called a "drought."

Rothman

Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 06:30:57 PM

It's just that we never actually have droughts around here. If we go 3 days without rain, that's called a "drought."
You should check the drought monitor of the National Drought Mitigation Center.  You'd be surprised by how much of the country experiences drought throughout the year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

How non-specific headlines are now, especially on the internet:  "Person killed on Delaware Highway".  The headline is specifically designed to be vague, to encourage people to click on the link to see if it happened in your area. 

This is a takeoff from what papers did in the 1990's:  "Delaware gets funding for upgrades".  If the newspaper is a Delaware newspaper, chances are the news should be about Delaware.  But, by repeating that it's Delaware news, it drew people in to buy the paper and read more about it.

GCrites

Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 03:00:10 PM
My favorite is when the TV news has a report on some consumer scam and the reporter says it "might just make your money disappear" and uses a camera trick to make money disappear.

Cincinnati news is especially cheesy when it comes to consumer scam reporting. "Don't Waste Your Money!" Cincinnati news in general cranked up my sarcasm level to the max due to the cheesiness. Almost melty. With that said, today's Columbus news is too dry. It wasn't until about 2000.

GCrites

Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2021, 06:37:07 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 14, 2021, 06:30:57 PM

You should check the drought monitor of the National Drought Mitigation Center.  You'd be surprised by how much of the country experiences drought throughout the year.

Last year was a drought year in Ohio even though almost everything I tried to do got rained on.

wxfree

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 11, 2021, 12:14:00 PM
I suppose "Looms" is a CYA term so that if it doesn't actually happen the non-entertainment source isn't humiliated like sports pundits often are.

Car people say beefed up. Like, "I beefed up the control arms since they are kinda floppy stock" is totally something plausible to say. But it does sound sort of stupid to say "beefed up patrols" since it just means more people, not a physical change to a tangible object.

What if I "beef up" my cattle inventory?
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

GaryV

"Reporting live from the scene." Means standing in front of the closed courthouse, where 8 hours ago some perp was arraigned on a Zoom call.

bandit957

"Miracle economy" (a phrase used only when the economy is at its worst)

hotdogPi

Quote from: bandit957 on March 15, 2021, 08:31:51 AM
"Miracle economy" (a phrase used only when the economy is at its worst)

You've previously claimed a bad economy when it was good (such as from ≈2014 to when COVID-19 hit).

How can we go two pages without mentioning Florida Man?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.