News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Construction Technology

Started by kernals12, March 23, 2021, 05:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

A robot is being used to do the tedious job of tying rebar on the Gateway Expressway Project in Clearwater, FL. The device can tie 1100 rebar intersections an hour and the manufacturer says it can cut the labor needed for laying rebar on bridge decks in half.

kernals12

Scientists have long dreamed of mass producing spider silk, a material that is stronger than kevlar. Now a Japanese company called Spiber says they're getting close, and are planning a new factory in Iowa.

As progress in carbon fiber seems to have stalled, spider silk composites could offer a strong, non-corroding alternative to steel.

kernals12

Rice University scientists have discovered a way of cheaply producing graphene with flash heating. A spinoff company, Universal Matter, is commercializing it, saying they'll be producing 1 ton per day by the middle of next year.

kernals12

Purdue University researchers have developed the world's whitest paint, with an albedo of .981. They say it could eliminate the need for air conditioning (and drive up the neat for heating). This would greatly reduce the amount of softening of asphalt that leads to rutting.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kernals12 on October 01, 2021, 01:02:27 PM
Purdue University researchers have developed the world's whitest paint, with an albedo of .981. They say it could eliminate the need for air conditioning (and drive up the neat for heating). This would greatly reduce the amount of softening of asphalt that leads to rutting.
In the first sentence: "helps combat global warming."

I thought you think that global warming is a good thing.

kalvado

Rothman

My eyes!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kernals12

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 01, 2021, 01:08:14 PM

I do, but this kind of paint will be helpful in dangerously hot cities.

kkt

Quote from: kernals12 on June 20, 2021, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 20, 2021, 12:07:45 PM
Eh I'd rather not have mass deforestation. Also, I still can't take you seriously due to your signature.

Typical Needham simpleton.

Trees grow back. The timber industry plants more trees than they cut down.

The timber industry cuts down full-grown trees, and plants seedlings most of which die before they are full-grown.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kkt on October 01, 2021, 05:00:19 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on June 20, 2021, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 20, 2021, 12:07:45 PM
Eh I'd rather not have mass deforestation. Also, I still can't take you seriously due to your signature.

Typical Needham simpleton.

Trees grow back. The timber industry plants more trees than they cut down.

As they must in order for a mature forest to grow. They intentionally over plant because they want a full forest to return.
Face it, at least in the US forest management has not been an issue for decades. US forests have been expanding over the last century. And there are plenty of places where you can see forests that have been logged, replanted, and are regrown.
Third world countries might be different, but that is their problem.

The timber industry cuts down full-grown trees, and plants seedlings most of which die before they are full-grown.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

hotdogPi

I see that HighwayStar didn't even offer an opinion in his most recent post...
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on October 01, 2021, 05:57:29 PM

Yeah, he just quoted kkt. Must mean he agrees with him.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

HighwayStar

Seems there was some sort of technical difficulty. But I guess not offering an opinion is the best way to make everyone happy, though it does not contribute much to threads. :bigass:

SkyPesos

Quote from: HighwayStar on October 01, 2021, 06:57:04 PM

Seems there was some sort of technical difficulty. But I guess not offering an opinion is the best way to make everyone happy, though it does not contribute much to threads. :bigass:
At least you contributed something to the general forum culture. I-70 in almost Baltimore is as prevalent here as Hypotenuse and I-366 now :bigass:

webny99

Seems there was some sort of technical difficulty.

The "technical difficulty" occurs when you start typing in a random spot. All you'd have to do to fix it is cut your reply and paste it at the bottom, making sure it's underneath the final quote tag.

HighwayStar

Quote from: webny99 on October 01, 2021, 07:22:32 PM

Seems there was some sort of technical difficulty.

The "technical difficulty" occurs when you start typing in a random spot. All you'd have to do to fix it is cut your reply and paste it at the bottom, making sure it's underneath the final quote tag.

I know how the quote tags work, and have successfully used them on many occasions. But I think I will leave that one as is, a sort of Breezewood of  commenting if you will.

kernals12

I'm excitedly waiting for ultra high performance graphene enhanced self-healing concrete. You'd pour it straight into a mold, no rebar required, and you could make bridges that last for centuries.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kernals12 on October 01, 2021, 04:31:28 PM

Maybe they'd be less dangerously hot if they weren't warming.  :hmmm:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kernals12

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 02, 2021, 01:42:54 PM

They'd still be dangerously hot

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on October 02, 2021, 02:05:29 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 02, 2021, 01:42:54 PM

They'd still be dangerously hot

Is this like Pop Tarts where the paint is cool that it's hot?

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 16, 2021, 10:31:07 PM
while interesting, i don't know if i can put much faith in a website of supposedly innovative ideas that banishes capital letters and seems to promote its monthly readership and article shares above anything else.

they get my vote lol
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kernals12

One startup is pushing the use of hypersonic projectiles for tunnel boring

kernals12

Spanish researchers have created a self-healing concrete.

This will greatly increase the net present value of highway expansion projects.

kernals12

OCSIAL, a manufacturer of carbon nanotubes based in Russia, is going through a SPAC merger in order to go public. They hope to raise $800 million for expansion.

Carbon nanotubes have incredible tensile strength, which makes them ideal for replacing steel rebar in concrete. It might even increase electric conductivity enough to create a built in heating element.

kernals12

https://phys.org/news/2021-10-versatile-moldable-wood.html

So that super-strong wood can also be easily molded. That's ideal for curved highway ramps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.