User Content > Road Trips

New England in August

(1/8) > >>

hobsini2:
So I am going to finally be able to take a 2 week vacation in August. The plan is to go to New England to meet up with my brother who is currently hiking the Appalachian Trail with his wife (probably somewhere in New Hampshire) and my uncle and cousin in New London. While I have been to a number of places in Southern New England, I am going to go at some point in the trip to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.

First, any traffic help on current construction is greatly appreciated.
Second, aside from driving on top of Mt Washington, any scenic places suggested is also appreciate.
Third, logistically, where are some "cheap" gas options that are llocal gas price wars?

Thanks in advance.

webny99:
There is a lot of great scenery in Vermont. It's best in the fall, but still amazing even in the summer. I'd recommend the gondolas at Stratton Mountain and Mount Equinox Skyline Drive (which is tolled) if you want great views.

Can't help much with #1 or #3, but there are plenty of members here from New England that probably can.  :biggrin:

froggie:
For #1, I would recommend hitting each respective state's DOT or 511 page.

#2 has more than one can shake a stick at.  I'd need a more detailed itinerary to focus on what would be nearby or along the route.

#3 doesn't really exist in northern New England...certainly not to the extent one would get used to in Chicagoland...

hobsini2:

--- Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2021, 09:53:09 PM ---For #1, I would recommend hitting each respective state's DOT or 511 page.

#2 has more than one can shake a stick at.  I'd need a more detailed itinerary to focus on what would be nearby or along the route.

#3 doesn't really exist in northern New England...certainly not to the extent one would get used to in Chicagoland...

--- End quote ---

Other than being in New England and going to Mt Washington and New London for sure, pretty wide open for 2 weeks. I would like to go to Cape Cod, Acadia and Lake Champlain as well.

froggie:
Thanks to post-COVID, Acadia will be difficult to get to without well-in-advance reservations, probably impossible at this point if you're going in August.  You could probably sneak a day-trip into Bar Harbor, but probably not much beyond that.

If you're going to do Cape Cod, do it mid-week.  Don't even think of trying between Thursday and Monday.

Lake Champlain is pretty doable.  Drive across part of the lake on US 2 (and see most of Vermont's rare jughandles on the way from I-89).  Two ferries that are fairly useful if you don't want to swing long to cross the bridges.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version