Regional Boards > Mountain West

Opinion: US 285 should be signed east-west

<< < (3/7) > >>

jayhawkco:

--- Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 29, 2021, 10:25:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: SkyPesos on June 29, 2021, 10:04:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 29, 2021, 09:58:51 AM ---
On the other hand, I would oppose signing I-94 as north-south between Milwaukee and Chicago (that one BGS on westbound I-94 in Indiana notwithstanding) because the route resumes a predominant east-west orientation on both sides of that section.

--- End quote ---
How about the entirety of I-26? Clearly much more N-S than E-W, especially in TN and NC.

--- End quote ---

How that got an even number, I do not understand.  I agree it should be signed north-south in its entirety.

--- End quote ---

Well, it originally only routed from Charleston to Asheville, which is only about 30 miles more N/S than E/W.  When it's overall pretty close to 45, then you have a choice either way.  Once it was extended, then it obviously looks more obvious it should have been an odd 2di.

Chris

zzcarp:

--- Quote from: US 89 on June 28, 2021, 11:42:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: zzcarp on June 28, 2021, 10:32:04 PM ---Although fictional, I wish US 285 still followed the curve north to Havana to Colfax to end. When that was so, I think it more justified the north-south routing than the current configuration.

--- End quote ---

I agree with that. Plus it's all SH 30 still, so it's not like state maintenance was the reason for truncating it

--- End quote ---

There's a mile gap between 6th Avenue and Colfax Avenue/US 40-287 that was removed from the state system, so it would have to be readded.

--- Quote from: jayhawkco on June 29, 2021, 10:12:49 AM ---Maybe I'm the oddball, but I would leave it alone.  US41 switches directions for upwards of 100 miles.  The true E/W section of US285 is 13 miles.  As it was mentioned upthread, no one is taking I-25 south to US285 south to get to the mountains.  So if they took something like I-25->US85->US285, they'd only be on the E/W portion for less than 9 miles.  In reality, more people probably go I-70->CO470->US285 where it's already heading southwesternly once they get on US285.

Chris

--- End quote ---

While the due east-west section is only 13 miles, USEnds's argument is that for the 60 miles from Kenosha Pass to I-25, you go about 42 miles east and 16 miles north between the two points. I don't disagree that it balances it somewhat when you enter/exit from C-470 (which is how I typically access the corridor). And, no matter which way it's signed, you will be traveling the opposite direction for some distance in that corridor.

jayhawkco:

--- Quote from: zzcarp on June 29, 2021, 11:37:34 AM ---While the due east-west section is only 13 miles, USEnds's argument is that for the 60 miles from Kenosha Pass to I-25, you go about 42 miles east and 16 miles north between the two points. I don't disagree that it balances it somewhat when you enter/exit from C-470 (which is how I typically access the corridor). And, no matter which way it's signed, you will be traveling the opposite direction for some distance in that corridor.

--- End quote ---

I guess I look at it from the perspective of "where are you going".  Other than when I go for a hike around Conifer, I usually end up taking US285 past Fairplay, and I would tend to think the majority of folks coming from the Denver metro area are doing the same.  So while I know I'm heading west to get to the mountains, I'm taking US285 instead of I-70 because I'm going further south.  I don't have a super strong opinion either way I guess, just playing devil's advocate of why it's fine to leave alone.

Chris

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: jayhawkco on June 29, 2021, 10:52:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 29, 2021, 10:25:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: SkyPesos on June 29, 2021, 10:04:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 29, 2021, 09:58:51 AM ---
On the other hand, I would oppose signing I-94 as north-south between Milwaukee and Chicago (that one BGS on westbound I-94 in Indiana notwithstanding) because the route resumes a predominant east-west orientation on both sides of that section.

--- End quote ---
How about the entirety of I-26? Clearly much more N-S than E-W, especially in TN and NC.

--- End quote ---

How that got an even number, I do not understand.  I agree it should be signed north-south in its entirety.

--- End quote ---

Well, it originally only routed from Charleston to Asheville, which is only about 30 miles more N/S than E/W.  When it's overall pretty close to 45, then you have a choice either way.  Once it was extended, then it obviously looks more obvious it should have been an odd 2di.

Chris

--- End quote ---
Were there interstates in the original plan that were completely out of the grid? Asking that because I-73 was available back then if they wanted a N-S number on the route, though I'm not sure a number that's completely out of the grid (I-26 is east of I-75) would be acceptable back then.

US 89:
A thought about I-26: consider that the entire highway grid in that part of the country is rotated slightly to accommodate the shape of the Carolinas coastline. Look at routes like I-95, I-85, US 1, and US 17 - none of those run exactly north-south in that area, but they're all parallel to the coast. If a route like I-26 is going to cross all of those, it makes some sense that it should have an even number. Also notice the next few parallel interstates to 26 on both sides all have even numbers: I-16 to the south, I-74 and I-40 to the north. As a general rule, in that part of the country, "east" simply means "towards the ocean". (This is also why I'm not too bothered that US 52 isn't signed north-south in South Carolina, despite some areas of "eastbound" 52 running nearly due west.)

As for US 285: every time I'm in Denver, it throws me for a loop that in order to go to the mountains, which follow the west side of I-25 throughout the state, I need to go "south" on 285. If I were CDOT, I would switch the directional banners at Fairplay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version