Regional Boards > Mountain West

Opinion: US 285 should be signed east-west

<< < (2/7) > >>

dkblake:

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on June 28, 2021, 10:57:57 PM ---Also US 62 in Ohio is signed E-W south of Columbus and imo it should be changed to N-S.

--- End quote ---

I wish US 62 adopted QEW signage nationwide and replaced north/east and south/west with Niagara Falls and El Paso.

wanderer2575:

--- Quote from: usends on June 28, 2021, 09:40:33 PM ---...in the Denver area, that is.  The situation there is quite similar to US 41 in Miami (where the signposted directions change to east-west) and US 24 in Michigan (where signs change to north-south).  Full article with maps and photos

--- End quote ---

From that US Ends.com article:

--- Quote ---In south Florida, US 41 ceases its function as a north-south route.  Instead, it begins functioning as an east-west route, and US 41 ends without ever resuming a north-south direction-of-travel.

--- End quote ---

This, exactly.  Not so much that the section of US-285 in question runs east-west, but that the route never resumes its predominant north-south orientation.  For that reason, I would be okay with signing this terminating section as east-west.  For the same reason, I'm okay that in Michigan US-24 is signed north-south and I-69 is signed east-west between Lansing and Port Huron. 

On the other hand, I would oppose signing I-94 as north-south between Milwaukee and Chicago (that one BGS on westbound I-94 in Indiana notwithstanding) because the route resumes a predominant east-west orientation on both sides of that section.

SkyPesos:

--- Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 29, 2021, 09:58:51 AM ---
On the other hand, I would oppose signing I-94 as north-south between Milwaukee and Chicago (that one BGS on westbound I-94 in Indiana notwithstanding) because the route resumes a predominant east-west orientation on both sides of that section.

--- End quote ---
How about the entirety of I-26? Clearly much more N-S than E-W, especially in TN and NC.

jayhawkco:
Maybe I'm the oddball, but I would leave it alone.  US41 switches directions for upwards of 100 miles.  The true E/W section of US285 is 13 miles.  As it was mentioned upthread, no one is taking I-25 south to US285 south to get to the mountains.  So if they took something like I-25->US85->US285, they'd only be on the E/W portion for less than 9 miles.  In reality, more people probably go I-70->CO470->US285 where it's already heading southwesternly once they get on US285.

Chris

wanderer2575:

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on June 29, 2021, 10:04:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 29, 2021, 09:58:51 AM ---

--- End quote ---
How about the entirety of I-26? Clearly much more N-S than E-W, especially in TN and NC.

--- End quote ---

How that got an even number, I do not understand.  I agree it should be signed north-south in its entirety.

--- Quote from: jayhawkco on June 29, 2021, 10:12:49 AM ---Maybe I'm the oddball, but I would leave it alone.  US41 switches directions for upwards of 100 miles.  The true E/W section of US285 is 13 miles.  As it was mentioned upthread, no one is taking I-25 south to US285 south to get to the mountains.  So if they took something like I-25->US85->US285, they'd only be on the E/W portion for less than 9 miles.  In reality, more people probably go I-70->CO470->US285 where it's already heading southwesternly once they get on US285.

--- End quote ---

I can't argue with that; I thought the segment in question was longer in length.  (I didn't look at a state map.)  But if it were changed, I'd still be okay with it for the reason I stated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version