News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Triplex concurrencies in California

Started by Occidental Tourist, July 07, 2021, 02:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Occidental Tourist

Post-1964, are there any stretches of road in California where three routes share a concurrency?  I can't think of any in Southern California, but I know two route concurrencies* are more prevalent in the northern and eastern parts of the state.

*as much as California can have concurrencies given how it defines routes in the SHC.

SeriesE

The only ones I can think of are the Capital City Freeway in Sacramento: US-50/I-80 BL/CA-99/CA-16/I-305, and West Side Freeway also in Sacramento: I-5/CA-99/CA-16

Edit: spelling

sparker

Quote from: SeriesE on July 07, 2021, 02:59:07 AM
The only one I can think of is the Capitol City Freeway in Sacramento: US-50/I-80 BL/CA-99/CA-16/I-305, and West Sacramento Freeway: I-5/CA-99/CA-16

Also:  CA 99, CA 59, and CA 140 in Merced. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on July 07, 2021, 05:36:36 AM
The only one I can think of is the Capitol City Freeway in Sacramento: US-50/I-80 BL/CA-99/CA-16/I-305, and West Sacramento Freeway: I-5/CA-99/CA-16

Also:  CA 99, CA 59, and CA 140 in Merced.

Beat me to Merced.

Regarding CA 16, effectively that route has a gap in the middle given there are no signs.  FHWA I-305 exists, but it is not recognized by the State as an entity.  I would county I-80BL since it is actually kinda sorta still signed on US 50/FHWA I-305.

bing101

The only ones I can think of are the Capital City Freeway in Sacramento: US-50/I-80 BL/CA-99/CA-16/I-305, and West Side Freeway also in Sacramento: I-5/CA-99/CA-16

I am pretty familiar with the Sacramento area. I know the western section of Cap City Freeway is also known as WX Freeway where US-50 and I-305 are located. Caltrans removed the Business 80 signs for the western half of Cap City Freeway in 2016-2017 timeframe.

Elvas Freeway aka Eastern half of Cap City Freeway is mainly CA-51 but is known as Business 80.

I also understand that I-9 or I-7 is supposed to be co-signed with CA-99 from the CA-51/Business-80 @ US-50 Interchange in Sacramento to I-5 in Ridge Route if it is to be approved. I am wondering why Elvas Freeway is still signed Business 80 is dependent on the approval of I-9's Routing.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on July 07, 2021, 11:01:48 AM

I am pretty familiar with the Sacramento area. I know the western section of Cap City Freeway is also known as WX Freeway where US-50 and I-305 are located. Caltrans removed the Business 80 signs for the western half of Cap City Freeway in 2016-2017 timeframe.

Elvas Freeway aka Eastern half of Cap City Freeway is mainly CA-51 but is known as Business 80.

I also understand that I-9 or I-7 is supposed to be co-signed with CA-99 from the CA-51/Business-80 @ US-50 Interchange in Sacramento to I-5 in Ridge Route if it is to be approved. I am wondering why Elvas Freeway is still signed Business 80 is dependent on the approval of I-9's Routing.

There definitely is still a couple I-80BL shields on US 50:

https://flic.kr/p/2jUjvW3

sparker

If I-9 (or 7) makes it up to Sacramento over present CA 99, it would have a FHWA-standard legitimate end right at the Oak Park interchange due to the presence of unsigned but federally-recognized I-305.  Now, how signage would (or would not) progress beyond that interchange is up for almost infinite speculation -- but unless somehow the CA 51 (Biz 80) section from Oak Park out to I-80 in North Highlands is rebuilt to Interstate standards (the dilemma that prompted Biz 80/CA 51 in the first place back in 1982), it wouldn't be directly signed over that facililty.  It could just "hang a left" at Oak Park and be co-signed with US 50 west to I-5 or even all the way into West Sac and I-80, essentially "piggybacking" on I-305.  But if I had to wager bucks on the eventual outcome if I-9 were to happen, I'd guess trailblazer "TO I-9" signage, both from I-80 WB at the present Biz 80 split, from I-80 EB at US 50 in West Sac, and from I-5 (at least SB) at the US 50/Biz 80 interchange.  A few stand-alone "TO I-9" assemblies, plus reassurance to that effect on a steady stream of BGS' along the way, would drive the point home about the presence and accessibility of I-9.  Interestingly, that occurrence might just finally let CA 51 have an identity of its own:  from WB I-80 in North Highlands, the signs could read "SOUTH CA 51/TO SOUTH I-9/Downtown Sacramento/Fresno; coming north on I-9 the terminating signs might be "WEST US 50/TO I-5/WEST I-80/San Francisco/Redding" for that movement, "NORTH CA 51/TO EAST I-80/Reno" for straight ahead, and the "EAST US 50/South Lake Tahoe" signage as presently deployed for the eastbound movement.  And coming into the Oak Park interchange from the other directions, the CA 99 trailblazers would simply be replaced by I-9 (and CA 51 replacing EB Biz 80).  Biz 80 could be given its proverbial gold watch and put out to pasture. 

But, of course, this is conjecture; I-9 may still shunt over to I-5 via CA 4 in Stockton as per speculation in the early 2000's, leaving CA 99 as is north of Stockton.  But if the Interstate materializes in Sacramento, it could provide the opportunity to rationalize a lot of signage and misbegotten designations!

RZF

Whatever is going on in Brawley might as well count as a quadplex with CA 78, 86, 111, and 115 all coupling up with each other and splitting within the span of 2 miles.

sparker

Quote from: RZF on July 07, 2021, 08:08:07 PM
Whatever is going on in Brawley might as well count as a quadplex with CA 78, 86, 111, and 115 all coupling up with each other and splitting within the span of 2 miles.

86 doesn't segue onto the Brawley bypass; that is strictly CA 78 to CA 111 coming in from the north; the two multiplex through the southward bypass curve, with 78 striking off east immediately afterward, leaving the 111 expressway heading south.  86 stays on its original alignment through Brawley pending relinquishment of the section south to El Centro.  If and when that occurs, CA 86 signage south of the west CA 78 junction might just be something that will provoke discussion in D11, particularly if Westmorland gets its long-sought bypass.  Down the line, a big chunk of 86 just may get "86'ed"! 

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2021, 11:06:57 AM

There definitely is still a couple I-80BL shields on US 50:

https://flic.kr/p/2jUjvW3

I knew there was a few shields of Business 80 on US-50 but that may not be a new shield because in 2016 the BGS signs removed Business 80 cosigning with US-50.

mrsman

Quote from: sparker on July 07, 2021, 07:54:36 PM

If I-9 (or 7) makes it up to Sacramento over present CA 99, it would have a FHWA-standard legitimate end right at the Oak Park interchange due to the presence of unsigned but federally-recognized I-305.  Now, how signage would (or would not) progress beyond that interchange is up for almost infinite speculation -- but unless somehow the CA 51 (Biz 80) section from Oak Park out to I-80 in North Highlands is rebuilt to Interstate standards (the dilemma that prompted Biz 80/CA 51 in the first place back in 1982), it wouldn't be directly signed over that facililty.  It could just "hang a left" at Oak Park and be co-signed with US 50 west to I-5 or even all the way into West Sac and I-80, essentially "piggybacking" on I-305.  But if I had to wager bucks on the eventual outcome if I-9 were to happen, I'd guess trailblazer "TO I-9" signage, both from I-80 WB at the present Biz 80 split, from I-80 EB at US 50 in West Sac, and from I-5 (at least SB) at the US 50/Biz 80 interchange.  A few stand-alone "TO I-9" assemblies, plus reassurance to that effect on a steady stream of BGS' along the way, would drive the point home about the presence and accessibility of I-9.  Interestingly, that occurrence might just finally let CA 51 have an identity of its own:  from WB I-80 in North Highlands, the signs could read "SOUTH CA 51/TO SOUTH I-9/Downtown Sacramento/Fresno; coming north on I-9 the terminating signs might be "WEST US 50/TO I-5/WEST I-80/San Francisco/Redding" for that movement, "NORTH CA 51/TO EAST I-80/Reno" for straight ahead, and the "EAST US 50/South Lake Tahoe" signage as presently deployed for the eastbound movement.  And coming into the Oak Park interchange from the other directions, the CA 99 trailblazers would simply be replaced by I-9 (and CA 51 replacing EB Biz 80).  Biz 80 could be given its proverbial gold watch and put out to pasture. 

But, of course, this is conjecture; I-9 may still shunt over to I-5 via CA 4 in Stockton as per speculation in the early 2000's, leaving CA 99 as is north of Stockton.  But if the Interstate materializes in Sacramento, it could provide the opportunity to rationalize a lot of signage and misbegotten designations!

My prediction is that if Wheeler Ridge (via Bakersfield and Fresno) to Oak Park interchange CA 99 becomes I-7/I-9, state rules will require the existing CA-7/CA-9 to renumber.  [While I appreciate the historic connection to 99 that I-9 would provide, it is probably easier to renumber CA-7 which is basically a nothing highway near the Mexican border.]  Then, the section of CA-99 from Natomas to Chico and Red Bluff will be an independent highway from I-7/I-9.  There will no longer need to be signage directing people to use I-5 and US 50 to make the connection.  As CA-51/Biz-80 is the northern appendage of I-7/I-9, it would make sense that this roadway be renumbered as CA-7/CA-9, following in the footsteps of CA-210, CA-110, and CA-15.

The freeway system in Sac would now be a lot more rationalized.  If it is imagined as a big "H", the left side is all I-5, the right side is  highway 7/9 (I-7/I-9 to the south and CA-7/CA-9 to the north), and the middle is US 50.  I-80 skirts across the top of town.  There would be no signed concurrencies at all (although I-305's secret designation will continue for funding purposes).  [CA-16 has not been signed through Sac for many years.  For all intents and purposes, they are two separate roads that share a number.  Following the CA-16 trailblazers will get you to either I-5 or US 50 to Sacramento, but then you have to use your own wits to follow the freeway system to get from the northwest part of town to the southeast.

Quote from: sparker on July 07, 2021, 08:18:20 PM

86 doesn't segue onto the Brawley bypass; that is strictly CA 78 to CA 111 coming in from the north; the two multiplex through the southward bypass curve, with 78 striking off east immediately afterward, leaving the 111 expressway heading south.  86 stays on its original alignment through Brawley pending relinquishment of the section south to El Centro.  If and when that occurs, CA 86 signage south of the west CA 78 junction might just be something that will provoke discussion in D11, particularly if Westmorland gets its long-sought bypass.  Down the line, a big chunk of 86 just may get "86'ed"! 

I had an idea that I posted in Fictional Highways years ago to make the entire Indio-West Salton Sea- Brawley bypass-Calexico highway into one number.  Currently, it is CA-86 to CA-78 to CA-111.  To me, it made sense that the best route between I-10 and Mexico in this area be one consistent well signed number highway to ease navigation.  The northern parts of this is a freeway and the majority of thru traffic should use this route.

If this route were to be the new CA-86 (or a brand new number like CA-510 if that will ease confusion), then the existing CA-86 south of the Brawley Bypass should be decomissioned (and possibly signed as a county highway).  CA-78 should be co-signed along the elements where it currently travels.  CA-111 south of CA-78 is simply renumbered as part of the new CA-86.

Another idea that would go along with my first idea, would be to divide the existing 111 into two separately numbered highways.  The first highway would be the 111 through Palm Springs, Palm Desert, and Indio.  This roadway can be signed along Dillon Rd to connect back to CA-86 and I-10.  The second roadway, with a new number, will be along 111's current route from Mecca to Brawley along the Salton Sea's east shore.  The reason for two separate numbers would be to discourage folks heading from LA to east Salton from just driving through Palm Springs city.  It is easy to remember I-10 to CA-86 to CA-411 (for example), as opposed to I-10, don't get off at CA-111, go to CA-86, and then get off at CA-111.  Better if it were a totally separate number.

skluth

Quote from: mrsman on July 13, 2021, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: sparker on July 07, 2021, 08:18:20 PM

I had an idea that I posted in Fictional Highways years ago to make the entire Indio-West Salton Sea- Brawley bypass-Calexico highway into one number.  Currently, it is CA-86 to CA-78 to CA-111.  To me, it made sense that the best route between I-10 and Mexico in this area be one consistent well signed number highway to ease navigation.  The northern parts of this is a freeway and the majority of thru traffic should use this route.

If this route were to be the new CA-86 (or a brand new number like CA-510 if that will ease confusion), then the existing CA-86 south of the Brawley Bypass should be decomissioned (and possibly signed as a county highway).  CA-78 should be co-signed along the elements where it currently travels.  CA-111 south of CA-78 is simply renumbered as part of the new CA-86.

Another idea that would go along with my first idea, would be to divide the existing 111 into two separately numbered highways.  The first highway would be the 111 through Palm Springs, Palm Desert, and Indio.  This roadway can be signed along Dillon Rd to connect back to CA-86 and I-10.  The second roadway, with a new number, will be along 111's current route from Mecca to Brawley along the Salton Sea's east shore.  The reason for two separate numbers would be to discourage folks heading from LA to east Salton from just driving through Palm Springs city.  It is easy to remember I-10 to CA-86 to CA-411 (for example), as opposed to I-10, don't get off at CA-111, go to CA-86, and then get off at CA-111.  Better if it were a totally separate number.

I live in Palm Springs. I don't think many people drive CA 111 from PS to Indio, but I guess it's possible. I'll second that the 86/78/111 expressway should be a new number. Easiest is to truncate CA 86 and CA 111 around Brawley where each meets the expressway. CA 78 could remain the same and duplex with the new number where CA 78 is currently on the expressway. Renumbering this mess of switching highways with the current numbers would just confuse people.

ClassicHasClass

When I worked in that area, the most I did on CA 111 was between I-10 and Palm Desert. I'm not even sure it's signed continuously to Indio anymore.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on July 13, 2021, 11:58:52 PM
When I worked in that area, the most I did on CA 111 was between I-10 and Palm Desert. I'm not even sure it's signed continuously to Indio anymore.

It's not, all the signage in the relinquished parts appears to have been fully removed.  Some signage remains in Palm Springs on the parts still under Caltrans maintenance.

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 14, 2021, 01:28:52 AM

It's not, all the signage in the relinquished parts appears to have been fully removed.  Some signage remains in Palm Springs on the parts still under Caltrans maintenance.

I didn't know any of CA 111 from Palm Springs to Indio had been relinquished, but the road is still CA-111 according to the post office. (e.g., Bill's Pizza is at 73196 CA-111.) It's called East Palm Canyon in Palm Springs and Cathedral City, but that's the only section along that stretch of road that has another name. CA 111 does have local names elsewhere; Indio Blvd, Gene Autry Trail, Vista Chino.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: skluth on July 14, 2021, 11:18:24 AM

I didn't know any of CA 111 from Palm Springs to Indio had been relinquished, but the road is still CA-111 according to the post office. (e.g., Bill's Pizza is at 73196 CA-111.) It's called East Palm Canyon in Palm Springs and Cathedral City, but that's the only section along that stretch of road that has another name. CA 111 does have local names elsewhere; Indio Blvd, Gene Autry Trail, Vista Chino.

That's interesting with the post office.  I know a lot of the relinquished portions have "Highway 111"  as the street name on signs, but I hadn't encountered a CA 111 until this point.

kphoger

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 14, 2021, 01:12:28 PM

That's interesting with the post office.  I know a lot of the relinquished portions have "Highway 111"  as the street name on signs, but I hadn't encountered a CA 111 until this point.

It isn't actually "73196 CA-111" according to the post office.

It is, as you apparently would expect, "73196 HIGHWAY 111".

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 01:22:01 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 14, 2021, 01:12:28 PM

It isn't actually "73196 CA-111" according to the post office.

It is, as you apparently would expect, "73196 HIGHWAY 111".

Got it. Misled by Google Maps.  :ded:

kphoger

Ha!

Pro tip:  Google Maps is not the USPS.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Not my best photo but here is an example of a Highway 111 street blade in Palm Desert:

IMG_1652 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Regarding some of the CA 111 shields it gets weird:

For some reason from 66th Street in Mecca north to Grapefruit Boulevard CA 111 is co-signed with CA 86.  CA 111 no longer exists on Grapefruit Boulevard west of CA 86:

111CAj by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Part of still existing CA 111 on Vista Chino westbound approaching Indian Canyon in Palm Springs:

111CAd by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

CA 111 northbound on Gene Autry Trail:

111CAb by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The CA 111/CA 111B split at Palm Canyon Drive and Gene Autry Trail:

111CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since the commercial areas of the various cities along CA 111 between Palm Springs and Indio have rendered that highway a real slog, most folks heading east from Palm Springs to eastward points on I-10 or farther south along CA 86 or even the still-designated part of 111 southeast of Coachella simply use the E-W arteries like Ramon Road to I-10 and go from there.  What was CA 111 is simply a local arterial at present; if Caltrans weren't lazy and/or apathetic about such things, the portion of 111 in Palm Springs and west to I-10 at Whitewater would have received a separate individual designation, as that segment provides vital access to Palm Springs itself from west I-10 and, by extension, greater L.A.  The biggest current issue is the east terminus of CA 74, which is now just left hanging at the relinquished CA 111 intersection.  The least D8 could do would be to provide trailblazer signage to and from that point to I-10, whether via the old CA 111 alignment into Indio or straight north up Monterey to I-10.  74's always been a major interregional connector (although physically a PITA!); right now Caltrans/D8 is in effect pretending it's not even there.  That's a situation, IMO, that warrants a remedy.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: sparker on July 14, 2021, 05:13:13 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since the commercial areas of the various cities along CA 111 between Palm Springs and Indio have rendered that highway a real slog, most folks heading east from Palm Springs to eastward points on I-10 or farther south along CA 86 or even the still-designated part of 111 southeast of Coachella simply use the E-W arteries like Ramon Road to I-10 and go from there.  What was CA 111 is simply a local arterial at present; if Caltrans weren't lazy and/or apathetic about such things, the portion of 111 in Palm Springs and west to I-10 at Whitewater would have received a separate individual designation, as that segment provides vital access to Palm Springs itself from west I-10 and, by extension, greater L.A.  The biggest current issue is the east terminus of CA 74, which is now just left hanging at the relinquished CA 111 intersection.  The least D8 could do would be to provide trailblazer signage to and from that point to I-10, whether via the old CA 111 alignment into Indio or straight north up Monterey to I-10.  74's always been a major interregional connector (although physically a PITA!); right now Caltrans/D8 is in effect pretending it's not even there.  That's a situation, IMO, that warrants a remedy.

Agree 100 percent.  And if the remaining portion of state controlled highway from Palm Springs n/w to I-10 needs to be signed at all, it should get a different number.

mrsman

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 15, 2021, 12:02:18 AM
Quote from: sparker on July 14, 2021, 05:13:13 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree 100 percent.  And if the remaining portion of state controlled highway from Palm Springs n/w to I-10 needs to be signed at all, it should get a different number.

I've never understood why it was so hard to keep the numbering in place, even if it is no longer maintained by Caltrans.  And if they want a distinction, another possibility is to have numbered county highways.  I know that there are few (too few) alphanumeric county highways in CA, but other states have county highways with regular numbers.  Heck, San Bernardino has a county-66 to designate a portion of former US 66. 

I definitely agree with having two separated highways, as it just makes sense to me.  It is still odd that the segment of 111 through Palm Desert never had an independent street name and is just simply "Highway 111".

It also seems a bit weird as it is now very hard to even follow CA-111.  CA-111 is now partially multiplexed with the 86 expressway, but how does it get there if it is no longer using the old routing along Grapefruit.  Perhaps Golf Center or Dillon?  If a consistent routing from Mecca to Palm Springs cannot be signed, because parts of this road are now decomissioned, then the two separate segments of 111 need different numbers.

[As Max R points out, CA 111 is now co-signed with CA 86 north of Mecca, but it isn't clearly indicated how the route goes north of there.  And this change is not reflected in Google Maps, despite the change in on-road signage occurring several years ago.]

Anyway, as expressed above, it seems to make sense to have a new highway number (like CA-510*) for the 86 expressway to follow the main routing down from Indio to Mexico, with short portions of 86 south of Brawley (if not decomissioned) and a replacement number for the 111 along the east shore of the Salton sea.  74 needs a country route routing along Monterey to guide it back to I-10.  CA-111 can remain as the North Palm Canyon routing from I-10 west to Palm Springs, but the portions of the decomissioned street need a new name, "Highway 111" would not suffice if it is no longer a state highway.  Here, I'll suggest a new name: Palm Blvd.

* I like this number as it is aspirational to get at least part of the freeway segment to be an interstate to give it more prominence.  Knowing that CA is in no rush to sign interstates, at least a placeholder state highway number would be a good start.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: mrsman on July 15, 2021, 10:10:32 AM
Here, I'll suggest a new name: Palm Blvd.

Cahuilla Highway or Jacinto-Rosa Highway.

skluth

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 15, 2021, 10:48:54 PM
Quote from: mrsman on July 15, 2021, 10:10:32 AM
Here, I'll suggest a new name: Palm Blvd.

Cahuilla Highway or Jacinto-Rosa Highway.

Anything but Palm Blvd. We already have major streets called Palm Drive, Date Palm Drive, and Palm Canyon Drive. Palm Drive and Date Palm Drive are consecutive exits on I-10 which is very confusing. Most of the long streets are named for famous people with a local connection. I'd go with Lucille Ball or Carol Channing, both of whom have connections to Indian Wells.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.