News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

Started by ozarkman417, July 19, 2021, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 28, 2021, 01:40:34 PM
No difference than the people that were shocked, SHOCKED, when they had to have a mask to enter my restaurant when we reopened after the first lockdown.

Were shocked, or acted shocked?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 02:11:20 PM
No difference than the people that were shocked, SHOCKED, when they had to have a mask to enter my restaurant when we reopened after the first lockdown.

Were shocked, or acted shocked?

Had I possessed a cattle prod at the time...

Chris

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on July 28, 2021, 12:26:27 PM
Tip for anybody going to Canada on a regular basis: the NEXUS pass is a great way to avoid incessant questions. I'm only ever asked how long I'm going to be in Canada. Then they let me through.
Of course, for that it helps to cross often enough to make getting NEXUS worthwhile (I think that threshold is about twice a year, given what I've heard from people on it).  For me who hasn't been across since 2014 and was only averaging once every couple years even before plans started falling through with disappointing regularity, it's probably not practical and would just raise more eyebrows.  Plus it's sad that now one has to pay and have a background check just to have things be the way they were for everyone before 9/11.

I once had to go through secondary entering Canada (just another round of questioning, no search; only took 15 minutes), but that crossing aside, I tend to get grilled more coming back into the US.  The last time the guy grilled me at length about why I was working in transportation planning for the state despite having a computer science degree.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Just for the record I've never had any problems at the US Canada border, either way.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2021, 03:07:34 PM
Just for the record I've never had any problems at the US Canada border, either way.

Wait until you're in your mid 20's and traveling alone.  Then you might look more "dangerous".

Chris

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 28, 2021, 03:08:27 PM

Wait until you're in your mid 20's and traveling alone.  Then you might look more "dangerous".

Chris

Or like me and you shave your head, not because it's fashionable, but because you are bald. 

kalvado

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 28, 2021, 03:52:35 PM

Chris

Or like me and you shave your head, not because it's fashionable, but because you are bald.
I heard some horror stories of crossing US border while looking middle Asian...

kkt

Entering the US I'm thinking most of all of a time my wife (at the time) and I were bringing a Canadian guy with us to visit for a few days.  He had his Canadian driver's license and he was in the military so he had his Canadian armed forces ID.  The US guard got down about two inches from his face yelled at him like he was inspired by the worst drill sergeant in any movie.  After yelling at him for about five minutes, he passed us all through.  WTF?  Our friend explained later that it might have been that his military ID said "Reserves", which in the US means it's a part-time job unless called up, but in Canada can mean newly joined the armed forces and not yet eligible for overseas posting.  Fine, but that doesn't explain the yelling in the face part.  If he was genuinely concerned, send him for secondary inspection so someone with a clue can find out that he does indeed have a full-time job in Canada.  Don't just pass him on if he's genuinely suspicious.  And on the other hand, yelling in his face for five minutes doesn't make him any safer to admit if he was actually coming to the US to enjoy our generous universal health care.

I think it is more to do with the guard being a racist SOB because our friend was of Asian ancestry, and the guard was taking his frustrations out by yelling at people he perceived as low status.

Bruce

Quote from: Bruce on July 28, 2021, 02:56:48 AM
Given the wave of unvaccinated...Americans coming their way

I was under the impression that you had to prove vaccinated status to get in.

Never said they would be successful in crossing. I will definitely be looking forward to watching them try.

And yeah, I have a feeling that my ethnicity is a huge factor in why I've been treated poorly by Canadian border agents. It always took a little longer when part of a busload from Seattle to clear me, perhaps because my name doesn't match my face all that well.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 29, 2021, 02:09:49 AM

Never said they would be successful in crossing. I will definitely be looking forward to watching them try.

I certainly hope it's a rare occurrence. The primary inspection lanes already take forever. I cannot imagine the mess if every other car is getting turned away. On a positive note, most cars crossing the border, from my fairly extensive in-person experience, seem to be of BC origin, so hopefully the border remains quiet anyways.

I have just learned that NEXUS lanes are still closed along the whole WA border, so even if I wanted to avoid dealing with morons, I am not able to. Yikes. I will report back in a couple weeks. Hopefully at least one of the crossings will reopen NEXUS services.

Rothman

Only had one issue with Canadian border officers, and that was when I was with someone from MTQ who had cleared our crossings beforehand (NYSDOT was coming up with a strategic plan for ITS at the crossings).  This guy threw a fit for ten minutes and then finally called his boss.  He then came crawling to us saying he hoped we wouldn't mention his behavior to anyone.

My problem with U.S. border people is it looks like they're armed to the hilt with body armor.  Not very welcoming compared to the Canadians.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Stephane Dumas

Speaking of the border, that reminds me of some clips about the St.Regis/Akwasasne Indian reverse who's on 2 sides of the border.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_aDqHCYwxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ-Q9zL_P2Y

And some buildings built right on the border at Stanstead and Derby Line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgmDGm_8Xr0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0EIG5ZsoL4

Along with some others locations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURgzLiy0DA

froggie

Quote from: zzcarp on July 28, 2021, 01:18:16 PM
Tip for anybody going to Canada on a regular basis: the NEXUS pass is a great way to avoid incessant questions. I'm only ever asked how long I'm going to be in Canada. Then they let me through.

You do have to prove vaccinated status to get to Canada as of August 9. There's no "wave of unvaccinated Americans coming their way".

There's also plenty of stupid Americans who would show up unvaccinated and be confused why they couldn't get in.  No difference than the people that were shocked, SHOCKED, when they had to have a mask to enter my restaurant when we reopened after the first lockdown.

Chris

This.  The Canadian border agents certainly are going to have "a wave of unvaccinated Americans" coming their way.

Another thing that's going to trip up those Americans trying to go to Canada is the pre-arrival negative COVID test requirement.  I myself will likely delay any trips north of the border until that changes.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: kalvado on July 28, 2021, 05:24:43 PM

Chris

This. It's 100% legal to racially/ethnically profile at the border, so both sides do it. At the beginning of the pandemic, I was crossing with a South Asian and an East Asian in line in front of me (was taking a bus to Vancouver). Both of them were absolutely grilled - the East Asian specifically about whether or not he had been to China recently. I figured I was in for rough treatment as well.

Turns out, they're pretty nice if you've got a Canadian passport. They just wanted to know how long I'd be staying. I'm a dual, so I can also say that US CBP is very polite when you've got a US passport.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: TXtoNJ on July 29, 2021, 10:24:01 AM

Chris

This. It's 100% legal to racially/ethnically profile at the border, so both sides do it. At the beginning of the pandemic, I was crossing with a South Asian and an East Asian in line in front of me (was taking a bus to Vancouver). Both of them were absolutely grilled - the East Asian specifically about whether or not he had been to China recently. I figured I was in for rough treatment as well.

Turns out, they're pretty nice if you've got a Canadian passport. They just wanted to know how long I'd be staying. I'm a dual, so I can also say that US CBP is very polite when you've got a US passport.

I don't know.  In all my border crossings, I have been grilled the most by US agents while being an American Citizen (of course with a US passport).

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2021, 07:04:31 AM
My problem with U.S. border people is it looks like they're armed to the hilt with body armor.  Not very welcoming compared to the Canadians.

I find that comment rather amusing–considering that, while crossing the border into Mexico, I've had my vehicle searched by soldiers wearing full-body camo, black face masks, and semi-automatic rifles.  So, for me, having my passport run by a CBP agent wearing a polo shirt and holstered pistol is a few steps up the 'welcoming' ladder.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 29, 2021, 10:28:15 AM

Chris

I don't know.  In all my border crossings, I have been grilled the most by US agents while being an American Citizen (of course with a US passport).

The northern border and the southern border are two different worlds.

Quote from: RothmanMy problem with U.S. border people is it looks like they're armed to the hilt with body armor.  Not very welcoming compared to the Canadians.

Well, yeah, you can't have a US Government agency without a corrupt handout to weapons manufacturers.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: TXtoNJ on July 29, 2021, 11:28:29 AM

Chris

I wasn't talking about the southern border.  I have it in my head to ignore what goes on there as to being specific to that region.  When I made that comment about being grilled by US agents, I was talking about coming back from Canada and coming back from Europe.  Every time I come back to the US from those places I get the third degree. Probably far worse than coming back from Mexico, because at least at that border, I am so pathetically pale skinned they realize I must be a US citizen.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 29, 2021, 11:36:18 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on July 29, 2021, 11:28:29 AM

Chris

I wasn't talking about the southern border.  I have it in my head to ignore what goes on there as to being specific to that region.  When I made that comment about being grilled by US agents, I was talking about coming back from Canada and coming back from Europe.  Every time I come back to the US from those places I get the third degree. Probably far worse than coming back from Mexico, because at least at that border, I am so pathetically pale skinned they realize I must be a US citizen.

I'd be interested to know what you mean by the "third degree".

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on July 29, 2021, 11:24:09 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 29, 2021, 07:04:31 AM

I find that comment rather amusing–considering that, while crossing the border into Mexico, I've had my vehicle searched by soldiers wearing full-body camo, black face masks, and semi-automatic rifles.  So, for me, having my passport run by a CBP agent wearing a polo shirt and holstered pistol is a few steps up the 'welcoming' ladder.

US CBP personnel at the I-95 and I-81 crossings were definitely more geared up than a polo shirt and sidearm last I crossed (late 2019).  Got my car quickly searched at I-81, as a matter of fact.  Like I said, body armor was worn and I believe they had long guns rather than just handguns.

But...no black masks. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

deathtopumpkins

I have never had anything but a polite and/or pleasant experience with either CBSA or UK Border Force.

US CBP on the other hand has been much more of a hassle for me. Entering the US at Rouses Point I got about 20 minutes worth of questioning about every detail of my life, with a second officer standing on the passenger side of my car with a rifle and a dog. Also got an intense (and highly inappropriate) grilling at Highgate Springs when returning from Montreal with a group of friends in college, because one of them was an Asian woman. She was horrified by the experience. And returning to the US via Logan Airport has always involved a lot more questioning than entering via a land crossing. One agent couldn't wrap his head around why I had traveled to Europe during what should be the school year if I'm a college student (my school was on a weird schedule, not that he seemed to believe me).

Amusingly the times I traveled with my mother CBSA and UKBF never batted an eye at her being unemployed, but US CBP always seemed to find it suspicious. You'd think it would have been the other way around, with Canada or the UK concerned about her overstaying, but they never even asked to see a return ticket or anything, and it was never an issue until we got back to the States.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vdeane

Aside from the one time I went to secondary (and even then, it was only 15 minutes and they were reasonably polite), it's always been easy with CBSA.  US CBP, on the other hand is more mixed.  I've had a crossing that was so easy it was like it used to be in the 90s, one with a group with only a little questioning about the trip and what people were bringing back (understandable, still quite quick), one where they grilled me about the trip and stuff, and then the one where they grilled me at length about my employment (why do they care?  I'm a US citizen!).  The only correlation I can find is that the crossings where I've used my enhanced driver's license rather than my passport tend to go quicker and smoother.  I think they just keep asking questions as they flip through every single page in the passport book; nothing to flip through with a license!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

I recall at least once coming back south through the border getting jokingly-harrassed by CBP for having an entire Costco-sized cardbox box full of Aux Tomates (from the Burnaby Costco, no less). I prefer the Canadian recipe, so I always bring some back with me. My mistake was having the rear parcel shelf under the false floor (normally it's attached to the hatch and hides the rear contents), allowing him to see it. Trying to explain a massive box of ketchup was not easy, but it turned light-hearted pretty quick and he told me a story of his kids having Canadian Heinz ketchup for the first time and also enjoying it.

I am continuing to regularly see BC plates. I saw at least two yesterday, and have seen at least one almost everyday for as long as I can remember. Most of the drivers are just younger people (primarily couples but a few by themselves as well) seemingly on vacation.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

stevashe

Quote from: jakeroot on July 29, 2021, 01:36:51 PM
I am continuing to regularly see BC plates. I saw at least two yesterday, and have seen at least one almost everyday for as long as I can remember. Most of the drivers are just younger people (primarily couples but a few by themselves as well) seemingly on vacation.

I've seen BC plates around as well and actually saw an Alberta plate last week. I've got to assume these people have American citizenship or something.

I've currently got a trip to Canada planned for the end of the month, so if that actually happens, I'll be sure to let everyone here know how the crossing goes in both directions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.