County Jail in a highway median

Started by Flint1979, August 03, 2021, 02:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

The only known place I know of this is in Norfolk County, Massachusetts along Route 128/I-95. I had always thought it was a rather strange place for a jail but I guess it isn't the worst place to put one either. Is there any other examples of this in the United States?

tradephoric

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 03, 2021, 02:02:51 PM
The only known place I know of this is in Norfolk County, Massachusetts along Route 128/I-95. I had always thought it was a rather strange place for a jail but I guess it isn't the worst place to put one either. Is there any other examples of this in the United States?

I wonder how common it is for people to turn into the jail entrance thinking it's the freeway on-ramp.

hbelkins

There's a place housing people that put people in jail in the median of the WK Parkway. The Madisonville Kentucky State Police post is just east of the I-69/Pennyrile Parkway interchange.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SectorZ

Quote from: tradephoric on August 03, 2021, 02:16:03 PM

I wonder how common it is for people to turn into the jail entrance thinking it's the freeway on-ramp.

Never heard of it being an issue locally, but then again the GSV car rolled the dice to get some pix of it

https://goo.gl/maps/fyg6xVyW1BXNQBeg8

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on August 03, 2021, 02:59:55 PM
the GSV car rolled the dice

I see a sign that says pedestrians are prohibited, but that doesn't mean cars are too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Hard to escape from a jail where you have run across I-95.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2021, 03:45:18 PM
Hard to escape from a jail where you have run across I-95.

That's just another reason do wait till 3 am for your jailbreak ...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kernals12

JG Ballard wrote a novel called Concrete Island where a man wrecks his car in a highway median and winds up trapped below all the traffic unable to see or hear him. Similar idea I guess.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on August 03, 2021, 07:08:46 PM
JG Ballard wrote a novel called Concrete Island where a man wrecks his car in a highway median and winds up trapped below all the traffic unable to see or hear him. Similar idea I guess.

Actually happened with an injured dog on CA 99:

https://weather.com/news/news/dog-rescued-california-frida

Roadgeekteen

Imagine just driving down I-95 and some escaped criminal is running across the road being chased by cops. How would the cops avoid being hit by a car in this case?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: tradephoric on August 03, 2021, 02:16:03 PM

I can honestly see that happening. There's a example here in Michigan kind of different than the topic here but at exit 116 on I-75 there is a roundabout that has an entrance to a GM plant. I've driven into the plant a few times not thinking about what I was doing LMAO.

Dirt Roads

It's still just a two-lane road, but Orange County, North Carolina is completing a new jail complex right behind the old eastbound weigh station on US-70 northwest of Hillsborough.  The old building and westbound weigh station across the street has been an NCDMV Driver's License Office for many years.  This also continues to house a small detachment of the (now) NCDPS Motor Vehicle Enforcement (which, of course, all ties back to the old weigh station), which includes a fueling station.  It's about six miles to the "new" weigh station on I-85/I-40 between the Buckhorn and Efland exits.

Curiously, there are a still NCDOT property signs at various points along US-70 between the "Other Split" near the I-85 Connector (from Exit 161 on I-85/I-40) and Exit 170 on I-85 (by itself up there).  These all appear to be located in areas where NCDOT acquired additional property back in the early 1950s for exits along the US-70 corridor.  I've never been quite sure whether these were for an eastward extension of the US-70 Super-Two route, or the ill-proposed extension of I-85.  I suspect the former, since the old US-70 weigh station looks like a Super-Two concept.

Flint1979

Actually my county (Saginaw County) just built a new jail that was completed last year. Total cost around $37 million.

XamotCGC

Quote from: hbelkins on August 03, 2021, 02:45:08 PM
There's a place housing people that put people in jail in the median of the WK Parkway. The Madisonville Kentucky State Police post is just east of the I-69/Pennyrile Parkway interchange.

Post 2?
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

jp the roadgeek

I-84 in Fishkill, NY passes between two prisons: Downstate Correctional on the west side, and Fishkill Correctional on the east side.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cpzilliacus

Not in the median, but the main Anne Arundel County, Maryland Detention Center is hard by (unsigned) I-595 (signed) U.S. 50/U.S. 301 just outside the corporate limits of Annapolis.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.