Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Traffic continues to grow on DC-area highways following pandemic plunge

(1/4) > >>

cpzilliacus:
WTOP Radio: Traffic continues to grow on DC-area highways following pandemic plunge

--- Quote ---New data show traffic on the D.C. region’s highways in May was not back to pre-pandemic levels, but it was getting close in some parts of the area.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---“I’m surprised by how fast, or how much that traffic volumes have recovered,” said Tim Canan, Planning Data and Research Program Director for the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, or MWCOG.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---The organization has been tracking traffic volumes and patterns throughout the COVID-19 crisis, and April 2020 brought a major change.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---“Regionwide, traffic was down 50%,” Canan said. “That was the result of a lot of people teleworking, as well as a lot of job losses that were occurring as a result of the pandemic.”
--- End quote ---

AlexandriaVA:
Anecdotally, I've seen an increase; certainly on the I-395 corridor where I mostly drive. I've been back at the office for about a year.

What's remarkable is that a significant amount of federal offices are still telework-only. There's still a large pool of potential commuters out there.

1:
I-95/MA 128 between US 3 and I-93 (Burlington/Woburn) is still clearer than before the pandemic. This is likely because there are so many office buildings visible from the road, and they're mostly work-from-home. On the other hand, inexplicably, I-93 north of MA 125 has been congested multiple times during the times when the breakdown lane is open.

Max Rockatansky:
Eyeball testing what I’ve seen in Fresno about 90% of the commute traffic has returned.  I actually just encountered my first CA 180 west to CA 41 northbound backup during rush hour in about a year and a half not long ago.  I would speculate from what I see from friends in the bigger cities that most of the commute traffic has returned there as well.

Mapmikey:

--- Quote from: AlexandriaVA on August 05, 2021, 09:16:07 AM ---Anecdotally, I've seen an increase; certainly on the I-395 corridor where I mostly drive. I've been back at the office for about a year.

What's remarkable is that a significant amount of federal offices are still telework-only. There's still a large pool of potential commuters out there.

--- End quote ---

I am teleworking half-time these days as is most of my large federal facility in Bethesda.  I can still use the beltway from Bethesda to Virginia most afternoons (I stopped using this part of the beltway in the afternoon at all a little over 5 years ago).

HOT Lane tolls are creeping up a little bit but still only about 2/3 of what is was pre-pandemic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version