How the infrastructure bill will help commuters around DC

Started by cpzilliacus, August 11, 2021, 03:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

Condensing the big-ticket items from the article. Article mostly deals with top-line figures...three concrete plans were mentioned.

*Metro will receive an annual $150 million over the next eight years.
*Virginia Railway Express is also expected to get money, for work on the Manassas Line.
*The legislation could also lead to the widening of U.S. Route 1 in Fairfax and Prince William counties.

Jmiles32

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on August 11, 2021, 01:41:37 PM
Condensing the big-ticket items from the article. Article mostly deals with top-line figures...three concrete plans were mentioned.

*Metro will receive an annual $150 million over the next eight years.
*Virginia Railway Express is also expected to get money, for work on the Manassas Line.
*The legislation could also lead to the widening of U.S. Route 1 in Fairfax and Prince William counties.

In addition to the continued widening of US-1 and implantation of BRT along the corridor, other Northern Virginia projects that I would like to see this bill fund would be:
1. Implementing non peak hard shoulder lanes on I-95 between Woodbridge and Fredericksburg.
2. Improvements to the I-95/Fairfax County Parkway Interchange (Exit 166).
3. A northbound auxiliary lane on I-95 between Exit 158 and Exit 160.
4. Intersection/Interchange Improvements on VA-123 at Old Bridge Road, I-95, and US-1 in Woodbridge.
5. Additional NVTA funding
Very I-95 corridor oriented I know but right now I think that that is clearly the biggest issue in the state.

For the Maryland side of the DC area I think the obvious answer here is:
1. Completing the MD-5 Freeway to US-301.
2. US-15 widening in Fredrick.
3. Finishing the rest of the Beltway/Greenbelt metro interchange (Exit 24).
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.