Columbia, MO's Stadium Boulevard is Getting Paved with Plastic

Started by kernals12, September 03, 2021, 09:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

The University of Missouri, in partnership with the Missouri Department of Transportation and Dow, is paving 2 miles of Stadium Boulevard with a new type of asphalt that incorporates waste plastic. In addition to diverting a large amount of plastic from landfills, this apparently will make the roads last longer. They're hoping to go 12 to 15 years before needing to be resurfaced instead of the normal 10.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kernals12

Quote from: 1 on September 03, 2021, 09:27:55 PM
Didn't you already create this thread?

I've done a few threads about plastic asphalt, but not this particular application.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kernals12 on September 03, 2021, 10:02:06 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 03, 2021, 09:27:55 PM
Didn't you already create this thread?

I've done a few threads about plastic asphalt, but not this particular application.
Could use one of those threads as a "megathread" for plastic asphalt, and post news about it into that one thread, instead of making a new one for each application.

kphoger

So, instead of this plastic being contained in a landfill, it will be dispersed into the environment gradually, tiny bit by tiny bit, as the asphalt wears?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bwana39

Quote from: kphoger on September 05, 2021, 02:26:31 PM
So, instead of this plastic being contained in a landfill, it will be dispersed into the environment gradually, tiny bit by tiny bit, as the asphalt wears?

So we are disbursing micro-particles of plastics?  So is this more environmentally sound in the long-term than landfills? How does it compare to the more common aggregate or sand in the asphalt mixture in environmental realm? Any ideas?
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: kernals12 on September 03, 2021, 09:26:33 PM
The University of Missouri, in partnership with the Missouri Department of Transportation and Dow, is paving 2 miles of Stadium Boulevard with a new type of asphalt that incorporates waste plastic. In addition to diverting a large amount of plastic from landfills, this apparently will make the roads last longer. They're hoping to go 12 to 15 years before needing to be resurfaced instead of the normal 10.

Why didn't they ask me first?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.